Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > TroubleHead Garage (Geno's Place)
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

TroubleHead Garage (Geno's Place) Evo's , Shovels, Pans, and anything else...

Old 09-06-2008, 11:53 AM
Buffalo Hump

fxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suck
This can't be good - oil on the floor :yikes:

so the bike has been sitting for about 6 days .... I know I know, that's a LONG TIME !!!

different story

so you see that oil spot on the floor ... ok, well as you can see from looking at it, it's NEW

so my question (I have many, but only asking a couple here)
is, how do I determine if the oil is leaking from the primary gasket or just from the bolt head, which I guess is the same as the gasket leaking.

OR

Is there a leak some place else, and it migrates to this LOW spot due to the way the skooter sits on the jiffy stand.

Thanks for your help

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5834.jpg (73.0 KB, 104 views)

States I've ridden my scoots in:

Last edited by 8-Ball; 09-06-2008 at 02:33 PM.
Old 09-06-2008, 11:59 AM
gAZINTa - Delinquent

dynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milk
Could be coming from behind the primary. Maybe the tranny main shaft seal.
Did you check the primary drain plug?

Cloudrider 2010
Former Original Doof
Creator of the 43 & 7 hand signs...
Original Cat Herder KC.
Old 09-06-2008, 12:03 PM
gAZINTa - Delinquent

dzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Which oil spot you talkin' about ???

Done any service to the bike recently ??

The Phattboy used to do that. it was the primary drain plug.

Clean it real good and block it straight up. Might get a better idea where
it is "seeping" from.

Tryin' t' help.
Old 09-06-2008, 12:19 PM
gAZINTa - Delinquent

dzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
What does it taste like ???
Old 09-06-2008, 12:23 PM
Kenney

Have you changed your oil and filter lately? Oil filter may not be tight or crud between it and the mounting.
Old 09-06-2008, 12:25 PM
Buffalo Hump

fxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suck
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynageno View Post
Could be coming from behind the primary. Maybe the tranny main shaft seal.
Did you check the primary drain plug?
nope, but now that you mention it, I WILL !

Old 09-06-2008, 12:28 PM
Buffalo Hump

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzlfitr View Post
Quote:
Which oil spot you talkin' about ???

Quote:
Done any service to the bike recently ??
No, but I notice a lot more leaks around the rocker box gaskets and places like that ever since I ran the hell out of it WOT over in Atlanta ...... Thanks BigMike :LOL:

Quote:
The Phattboy used to do that. it was the primary drain plug.

Clean it real good and block it straight up. Might get a better idea where
it is "seeping" from.

Tryin' t' help.
ok, I'll ck that plug, and then sit it up on the jack and put some clean paper under it ...... see what shows up.

Thanks

Old 09-06-2008, 01:27 PM
Public Doofender

Highmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milk
Your wife put it there so you would worry about it, and stay home for a while.

Did you know I liked Bobbers?

Old 09-06-2008, 01:37 PM
Double-D

Scabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suck
My name is Doug hasn't visited you recently, has he

"Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter."...Satchel Paige

"Mother Nature may dictate I grow older but there ain't nothin' nor nobody can make me grow up." ..Me

Old 09-06-2008, 01:37 PM
Bard of the 43 Words

Last Cigar Smoked: 5 Vegas Miami
TimmyD can happily embrace the suckTimmyD can happily embrace the suckTimmyD can happily embrace the suckTimmyD can happily embrace the suckTimmyD can happily embrace the suckTimmyD can happily embrace the suckTimmyD can happily embrace the suckTimmyD can happily embrace the suckTimmyD can happily embrace the suckTimmyD can happily embrace the suckTimmyD can happily embrace the suck
...its a Harley...just marking its territory...
2003 FXD aka 'Wild Blue'
"Ask not what Doof Clenas can do for you, but what you can do for Doof Clenas." TimmyD (2006)

Old 09-06-2008, 01:48 PM
snow pirate

Last Cigar Smoked: No thanks.
stoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
I worry when mine stops leaking oil.......

ALL WHO WANDER ARE NOT LOST.

GFFG
Old 09-06-2008, 02:31 PM
8-Ball

Bet you money its the shifter shaft seal...

Look (down from above) at the area between the transmission and the primary where the shifter shaft exits the left side of the tranny... If its the shifter shaft seal, there will be oil running down from the shaft... only seems to happen when the bike is hot and leaned over on its kickstand...

If you see oil there, clean up the area and go for a ride... lean it over on the kickstand and wait until morning... check the area under the shaft...

It's a 20 cent part and about $300 dollars labor...

I think it could leak forever and probably best to leave it alone as long as it isn't dripping more than what is in your picture... just check the tranny oil more often.

I use Redline Shockproof Heavy in the tranny because it is red and makes it very easy to determine where the leak is coming from.
Old 09-06-2008, 03:11 PM
Amsoil Site Sponsor
Double-D

Geezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
As dark as that is, it's engine oil. Check your plug and make sure it's not leaking. Crawl under there, there's two. One you drain, and one in the FRONT of the pan, on the vertical.

Did you use a new "O" ring on the plug when you changed it?
Did you loctite the plug?

There's a possibility it's primary, but I'm bettin' on engine.

Tranny oil will be "clean" even after miles and miles.

Meng

TKWSV

Old 09-06-2008, 03:22 PM
Buffalo Hump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenney View Post
Have you changed your oil and filter lately? Oil filter may not be tight or crud between it and the mounting.
I did, yes

my oil filter is out on the front of the engine, no oil under the filter .....

Old 09-06-2008, 03:24 PM
Buffalo Hump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highmiles View Post
Your wife put it there so you would worry about it, and stay home for a while.

that is FUNNY FUNNY FUNNY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and I'm not so sure that it's not correct