Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > Wheels & Tires
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Old 05-09-2007, 11:43 AM
El Errante

thrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milk
I'm using Metzler ME880 140/18 front and 150/18 rear right now. Comfortable and sticky tires, IMO. Of course the 150 looks better on the rear than my old 140 did, but I'm not convinced that it corners better; in fact it may corner worse. I haven't broken it in quite yet to find out for sure, though.

Old 05-10-2007, 09:54 AM
Tolling of the iron bell

jimmymac is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withjimmymac is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withjimmymac is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withjimmymac is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withjimmymac is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withjimmymac is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withjimmymac is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withjimmymac is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withjimmymac is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withjimmymac is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withjimmymac is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire46 View Post
8, do you recall roughly what you paid? I just got the following from Eastern Performance:

AVON VENOM 130/90H-16 MT90 (Replaces MT90 HB16) - $117
AVON AM42 VENOM 150/80HB-16 - $135

Both include shipping.
Are you sure those are the correct tire sizes for that Glide?
Old 05-10-2007, 10:06 AM
Tolling of the iron bell

jimmymac is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withjimmymac is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withjimmymac is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withjimmymac is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withjimmymac is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withjimmymac is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withjimmymac is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withjimmymac is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withjimmymac is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withjimmymac is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withjimmymac is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
I should have clarified my original post... I'm asking because I'm going to be needing some new rubber for my 06' FLHX and am considering the Avons. The front tire you listed looks right, but not sure that 150 will fit on the rear.

FYI. I got 5000 miles out of my stock Dunlop rear tire. Looks like I'm going to get 6000 out of the ME 880 I replaced it with, so I'm still looking for a little better wear if possible without sacrificing traction. Tall order.
Old 05-10-2007, 10:33 AM
8-Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmymac View Post
I should have clarified my original post... I'm asking because I'm going to be needing some new rubber for my 06' FLHX and am considering the Avons. The front tire you listed looks right, but not sure that 150 will fit on the rear.

FYI. I got 5000 miles out of my stock Dunlop rear tire. Looks like I'm going to get 6000 out of the ME 880 I replaced it with, so I'm still looking for a little better wear if possible without sacrificing traction. Tall order.
I put these on my '05 Road King Custom... the rear is tight but it fits. I believe they started using the narrower belt in '04 and all FLH frames since then should accommodate the 150 now without modifications.

I've also included the recommended tire pressures.

Front; MT90B16 74H AM41 Venom's, 40 p.s.i. solo (cold) to 43 p.s.i. two up loaded heavy.

Rear; 150/80B16 77V AM42 Venom's, 44 p.s.i. solo (cold) to 50 p.s.i. two up loaded heavy.
Old 05-10-2007, 10:36 AM
Tolling of the iron bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8-Ball View Post
I put these on my '05 Road King Custom... the rear is tight but it fits. I believe they started using the narrower belt in '04 and all FLH frames since then should accommodate the 150 now without modifications.

I've also included the recommended tire pressures.

Front; MT90B16 74H AM41 Venom's, 40 p.s.i. solo (cold) to 43 p.s.i. two up loaded heavy.

Rear; 150/80B16 77V AM42 Venom's, 44 p.s.i. solo (cold) to 50 p.s.i. two up loaded heavy.

Thanks. That 150 is tempting. Hate to order it and have it not fit.

What kind of rear tire mileage are you getting out of the Avon?

Those Elite 3's have me intrigued as well, so I chimed in on this thread.
Old 05-10-2007, 10:39 AM
8-Ball

Quote:
Thanks. That 150 is tempting. Hate to order it and have it not fit.

What kind of rear tire mileage are you getting out of the Avon?

Those Elite 3's have me intrigued as well, so I chimed in on this thread.
6.5k on the stock Dunlop 140/16

7.5k on the Metz 150/16

10k on the Avon Venom 150/16
Old 05-10-2007, 10:44 AM
Double-D

Last Cigar Smoked: Obsidian
Stone Cold is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withStone Cold is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withStone Cold is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withStone Cold is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withStone Cold is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withStone Cold is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withStone Cold is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withStone Cold is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withStone Cold is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withStone Cold is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withStone Cold is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
I need a new back tire.

"Keeping a candle lit"

"RIP Butkus"
2002-2006

Danger: Propane
Keep Back 200 Feet
Old 05-10-2007, 10:46 AM
Tolling of the iron bell

Quote:
6.5k on the stock Dunlop 140/16

7.5k on the Metz 150/16

10k on the Avon Venom 150/16
That is good. Thanks for the info 8.

Anyone else running a 150 on their touring rig without having to do any mods? I'd like to try that tire even though I'll probably keep the Metz on the front for now. It is showing little wear.
Old 05-10-2007, 10:48 AM
8-Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordito View Post
I need a new back tire.
Len put my first Avon on. I went to another guy for the second one, but I had to bring him the wheel.
Old 05-10-2007, 10:51 AM
Tolling of the iron bell

Tell me again the 150 is gonna fit on my Street Glide 8.
Old 05-10-2007, 10:58 AM
8-Ball

Quote:
Tell me again the 150 is gonna fit on my Street Glide 8.
I measured like hell the first time I put the Metz on. The indy called me back and told me he didn't think so. I told him to do it anyway. I got a little belt rub on the plastic engine guard, but once it wore a little groove in it, I was fine. I've read that a lot of folks have done this, that is why I tried it. Some don't get any belt guard wear.

The Avon is just a bit narrower than the Metz... btw.

I don't know shlt, but the tire looks so much better than the 140 and it is a more comfortable ride as well.

I'm sure the E3 would be as well, I've just not tried that combo.

Some folks will tell you not to mix front and rear tire brands, but I put the Metz on with the stock Dunlop front and had no problems. It finally wore out and I'm running Avon front and rear now.

If someone posts up better mileage for the E3 and I can get it in a 150 with a good load rating, I may give it a try. I am happy right now though. The one thing I wish the Avon had is a balancing mark on the tire.
Old 05-10-2007, 11:03 AM
Tolling of the iron bell

Quote:
I measured like hell the first time I put the Metz on. The indy called me back and told me he didn't think so. I told him to do it anyway. I got a little belt rub on the plastic engine guard, but once it wore a little groove in it, I was fine. I've read that a lot of folks have done this, that is why I tried it. Some don't get any belt guard wear.

The Avon is just a bit narrower than the Metz... btw.

I don't know shlt, but the tire looks so much better than the 140 and it is a more comfortable ride as well.

I'm sure the E3 would be as well, I've just not tried that combo.

Some folks will tell you not to mix front and rear tire brands, but I put the Metz on with the stock Dunlop front and had no problems. It finally wore out and I'm running Avon front and rear now.

If someone posts up better mileage for the E3 and I can get it in a 150 with a good load rating, I may give it a try. I am happy right now though. The one thing I wish the Avon had is a balancing mark on the tire.
Thanks for the informative post.

Seems like there are differing schools of thought about mixing brands as this does come up the boards from time to time.

All I know is that the rear is getting a bit square while the front looks almost new.
Old 05-10-2007, 11:11 AM
GrayRider

Over 12K miles here on the E3's and still going...doesn't come in a 150. Or at least it didn't last year.
Old 05-10-2007, 11:33 AM
R.I.P.
Never Forget - 343

Fire46 does more than just take up spaceFire46 does more than just take up spaceFire46 does more than just take up spaceFire46 does more than just take up spaceFire46 does more than just take up spaceFire46 does more than just take up spaceFire46 does more than just take up spaceFire46 does more than just take up spaceFire46 does more than just take up spaceFire46 does more than just take up spaceFire46 does more than just take up space
Talked to a local Indy about tires yesterday. Their recommendation was either the Metz or the Dunlop Elite 3, sticking w/ the 140 for the rear. They have a number of folks running the E3 who have been quite happy with them. I also asked about mixing tires and they said it wasn't a problem.

Old 05-10-2007, 11:36 AM
Clubhouse Electrician

Q-Dog has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowQ-Dog has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowQ-Dog has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowQ-Dog has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowQ-Dog has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowQ-Dog has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowQ-Dog has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowQ-Dog has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowQ-Dog has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowQ-Dog has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowQ-Dog has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
I am happy!
No, really, I am.
E3's.
Do yourself a favor.