Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Specific Interest > Remodeling or Building
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Remodeling or Building Got a project going or finished... Got a question...

Old 04-05-2010, 08:29 PM
along came Blondie......

BigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sock
Dehumidifier suggestions and mold removal

We had a dehumidifier that died a while ago, and are in the market for a new one. Since we've not had one, we've had some mold buildup in the basement. What do you fine folks recommend as far as a dehumidifier? What's your best mold eliminator/removal suggestions? Most of the sites I've checked so far are trying to sell me something.

Thanks for your help!

2009 Vivid Black Street Glide Ultra

RIP Diver, Bashful, Smitty, Clank, Johnny B, Fire46, Red Rider and Mongoose, GBNF

"It is foolish to mourn the men that died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived" -General George S. Patton, Jr.
Old 04-05-2010, 08:42 PM
Under Construction

Last Cigar Smoked: Robert Burns Blackwatch, in the '70s
TalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
I've always used something along the lines of an 80/20 water/bleach solution. We use air conditioners to dehumidify down here. When I lived in MD, we opened the windows and kept quiet about the humidity if we knew what was good for us.
Somewhat dilapidated, yet functional, Kubota L2500
'20 Branson 3620
'18 Ram 3500 Diesel
'02 Wrangler X, 4" lift on 33 x 12.50s
Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140
Felt Nine 50
Killin' more bees than Monsanto
Old 04-05-2010, 08:44 PM
along came Blondie......

BigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sock
Quote:
Originally Posted by TalonChief View Post
I've always used something along the lines of an 80/20 water/bleach solution. We use air conditioners to dehumidify down here. When I lived in MD, we opened the windows and kept quiet about the humidity if we knew what was good for us.

It gets moist down here in the basement from time to time. We've got AC too, but it's focused more on the main floors of the house.

RIP Diver, Bashful, Smitty, Clank, Johnny B, Fire46, Red Rider and Mongoose, GBNF

"It is foolish to mourn the men that died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived" -General George S. Patton, Jr.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:06 PM
Not just another pretty face

vafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milk
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
We had a dehumidifier that died a while ago, and are in the market for a new one. Since we've not had one, we've had some mold buildup in the basement. What do you fine folks recommend as far as a dehumidifier? What's your best mold eliminator/removal suggestions? Most of the sites I've checked so far are trying to sell me something.

Thanks for your help!
I know somebody in the business that will give me the skinny. I'll call him in the morning and find out. Are we talking concrete/block/drywall/wood etc?
Old 04-05-2010, 09:23 PM
The Other Founder
President for Life
Double-D

Last Cigar Smoked: PDR 1878 Reserva Dominicana Capa Oscura
MegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glasses
I've used as light as 10:1 bleach.
I just got a new Sears 70 pt to replace the way energy inefficient 35pt I can't remember the make of.
I can let you know end of the summer.

http://sherlynpopelka.net/

Revelation 19:11
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse;
and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True,
and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

*Usual manly disclaimer applies, if applicable.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:26 PM
along came Blondie......

Quote:
Originally Posted by vafatboy View Post
I know somebody in the business that will give me the skinny. I'll call him in the morning and find out. Are we talking concrete/block/drywall/wood etc?
Block walls in my basement. I'm guessing as mentioned by the others a mix of bleach/water will work. I'll also check at the 'Depot for any special chemicals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaGlide View Post
I've used as light as 10:1 bleach.
I just got a new Sears 70 pt to replace the way energy inefficient 35pt I can't remember the make of.
I can let you know end of the summer.
Thanks

Old 04-05-2010, 09:36 PM
The Other Founder
President for Life
Double-D

Last Cigar Smoked: PDR 1878 Reserva Dominicana Capa Oscura
MegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glasses
Nothing is cheaper than bleachwater, and at 10:1 it didn't hurt the knotty pine in my shop.

http://sherlynpopelka.net/

Revelation 19:11
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse;
and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True,
and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

*Usual manly disclaimer applies, if applicable.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:16 PM
not Lady G, but....

route66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
We need to add water to the air around here.

"The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws." (Tacitus, Roman historian 55-117 A.D.)

Original 43%er

CAT HERDER GORGE CROSSER SKYLINE

My buddy!
Old 04-06-2010, 08:42 AM
Doof Clenas Member

Parks doesn't need a tube sockParks doesn't need a tube sockParks doesn't need a tube sockParks doesn't need a tube sockParks doesn't need a tube sockParks doesn't need a tube sockParks doesn't need a tube sockParks doesn't need a tube sockParks doesn't need a tube sockParks doesn't need a tube sockParks doesn't need a tube sock
We had a professional Mold Abatement company come into our office due to mold. Guess what they used.....

....bleachwater. Not sure of the mixing ratio, but my guess was not much higher than 80/20. Consider TSP for really stubborn stains.

Time to Nut up, or Shut up. -Tallahassee
Old 04-06-2010, 08:45 AM
Double-D

Last Cigar Smoked: Fuentes Fuentes Opus X Le Chateau
J.A.F.O. has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowJ.A.F.O. has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowJ.A.F.O. has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowJ.A.F.O. has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowJ.A.F.O. has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowJ.A.F.O. has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowJ.A.F.O. has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowJ.A.F.O. has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowJ.A.F.O. has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowJ.A.F.O. has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowJ.A.F.O. has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Buy the cheapest dehumidifier you can...They are basically just undersized a/c units.

Old 04-06-2010, 09:03 AM
Doof Clenas Member

Parks doesn't need a tube sockParks doesn't need a tube sockParks doesn't need a tube sockParks doesn't need a tube sockParks doesn't need a tube sockParks doesn't need a tube sockParks doesn't need a tube sockParks doesn't need a tube sockParks doesn't need a tube sockParks doesn't need a tube sockParks doesn't need a tube sock
get one with a decent capacity. Wife bought a new one with a smaller bucket...more frequent emptying...no es bueno.

Time to Nut up, or Shut up. -Tallahassee
Old 04-06-2010, 09:12 AM
El Errante

thrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milk
Quote:
Originally Posted by route66paul View Post
We need to add water to the air around here.
Swamp cooler. Just sayin'

Old 04-06-2010, 09:30 AM
Double-D

Scabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suck
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
We had a dehumidifier that died a while ago, and are in the market for a new one....
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.A.F.O. View Post
Buy the cheapest dehumidifier you can...They are basically just undersized a/c units.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parks View Post
get one with a decent capacity. Wife bought a new one with a smaller bucket...more frequent emptying...no es bueno.
Got a DeLonghi last year from COSTCO. Wasn't the most expensive but wasn't the cheapest either. Main reason I selected it was where I needed to place it does not have an easily accessible floor drain to run a hose to and I don't like checking and emptying the bucket all the time. This unit has a pump that can pump the water "up hill" into a sink or other drain pipe. So far it has worked very well.

As for the mold, yep, bleach and water mix. When I worked for Alcoa, we recommended a "1 part/4 parts" or 20%/80% mix of bleach and water to clean mold and mildew off of aluminum siding.

"Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter."...Satchel Paige

"Mother Nature may dictate I grow older but there ain't nothin' nor nobody can make me grow up." ..Me

Old 04-06-2010, 09:50 AM
El Errante

thrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milk
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaGlide View Post
Nothing is cheaper than bleachwater, and at 10:1 it didn't hurt the knotty pine in my shop.
Bleachwater works great for sanitizing things and removing anything alive (including mold, mildew, etc). I use it when cleaning up boats, ice chests, fish boxes, fishing equipment, etc that has been in contact with fish stuff or saltwater. Also use it to kill algae from landscaping rocks. Got to be careful with it, though, use rubber gloves, not to overspray or spill it, and you do want to rinse whatever you are cleaning down afterwards if the bleach concentration is significant. 10:1 probably isn't high enough to warrant rinsing down afterwards.

Old 04-06-2010, 06:32 PM
Not just another pretty face

vafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milk
My buddy said that the bleach will obviously do the job. Residue is the issue for pets and kids and stuff. He said that a product called shockwave is good.

http://www.fiberlock.com/products/8316.html