Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > General Maintenance & Service
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

General Maintenance & Service Doing it yourself or having it done...

Old 07-13-2009, 07:55 PM
The Other Founder
President for Life
Double-D

Last Cigar Smoked: PDR 1878 Reserva Dominicana Capa Oscura
MegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glasses
Quote:
Originally Posted by trmn8r View Post
So if ones neck bearings have progressed beyond the need for grease, ... say at about 30000 miles you discovered your dealer didnt grease them at the 1000 mile checkup and you were a 41 and didn't bother checking them at 5000, 10000, 15000, 20000, 25000, cause "surely the dealer greased them and they'll be alright" ... so at 30000, grease them up real good. Now at 52000, I'm pretty sure waiting till 30000 was just to dang long, going by Littlebears posts, I believe linked earlier in this thread, mine are loose. Has just felt really squirly coming to a stop all summer, and when crossing tar snakes, and ridges, at anything below about 30MPH the front end just takes a little wiggle... and the tires are new, well rear is, front is a year old but no wear really... So anyway, back to the original point of this post... How tough are neck bearings to adjust on a bagger? can I do it by just pulling the outer fairing or is the radio and switch cap gonna have to come off? or the whole damn inner fairing as well? man I hope not I just put my painted inner on last year and dont EVEN want to pull all those wires out again, plus risk dinging the paint on that new inner. If they are worn out and have to be replaced then I bet it all has to come off, hoping not for adjusting. How do you know if they are beyond being adjusted and must be replaced? I suppose I could look this up in my manual, but I'm at work now and just got to wondering about the size of the job I'm in for soon.
That's one job I pay my dealer to do.
Of course, it looks like you did, too, with different results.
'Nother dealer or indy?

http://sherlynpopelka.net/

Revelation 19:11
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse;
and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True,
and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

*Usual manly disclaimer applies, if applicable.
Old 07-13-2009, 08:17 PM
Double-D
The Mechanic

d j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
If they have never been greased it takes a full tube to fill the neck enough until it exudes.

Old 07-14-2009, 12:20 PM
gAZINTa - Delinquent

ms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glassesms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glassesms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glassesms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glassesms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glassesms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glassesms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glassesms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glassesms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glassesms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glassesms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glasses
Mine have been greased at every 5K service since I got her and I still had to have them replaced at 40K. . . . probably because of the weight of the springer front end. I knew they needed to be replaced because of the movement (shifting) in the front end when I turned from a stop or when I was leaning into a curve. Seems to me this is something that needs to be tended to sooner then later for safety's sake.

High Priestess of the Cloudriders
Old 07-14-2009, 01:38 PM
El Errante

thrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milk
All the grease in the world ain't going to solve the problem if your bearings have flat spots and the races are indexed.

Old 07-14-2009, 04:40 PM
RAM 2500 Cummins 4X4

Last Cigar Smoked: Man O' War Ruination
SafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Just a shade over a half tube.

I've done 2 of them in the last couple months.

I need to adjust mine though, I get a shimmy on decel around 30, I think my fall-away is out.
From my Brother Don... I love his insight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWolf View Post
Postwhores are a dime a dozen.
What's impressive about you is that you are your own pimp.
Kudos!