Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Specific Interest > The Arsenal
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

The Arsenal Where firearms enthusiasts gather to discuss their passion for things that go bang. Political debate is one floor down and not welcome here.

Old 04-08-2007, 09:11 PM
Permanently Pissy

billymac is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withbillymac is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withbillymac is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withbillymac is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withbillymac is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withbillymac is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withbillymac is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withbillymac is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withbillymac is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withbillymac is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withbillymac is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
Recommendations for an over and under...

Thinking about shooting again, clays for the most part, maybe a large parakeet every now and then. Thinking of a 20G for me and perhaps a 28G for my 13 year old.

Don't want to spend a fortune, won't be able to shoot that much. Anyone got any suggestions for a good, reasonally priced shotgun?

2010 Ultra Classic, Sunglow Red
Curb Feelers and Pine Scent Air Freshener
Yammy TTR-230 Just for fun...

Old 04-08-2007, 09:36 PM
Not just another pretty face

vafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milk
Quote:
Originally Posted by billymac View Post
Thinking about shooting again, clays for the most part, maybe a large parakeet every now and then. Thinking of a 20G for me and perhaps a 28G for my 13 year old.

Don't want to spend a fortune, won't be able to shoot that much. Anyone got any suggestions for a good, reasonally priced shotgun?
Look around for some deals on Ruger Red Labels in good condition, or new.

When I went looking I was set on a Browning, costs more than the Red Label, but didn't shoulder correctly for me.

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firear...ion=12%20Gauge
Old 04-08-2007, 10:29 PM
Give me my Lays Beaver!

Biker Bry has failed to amuse us
Never used a double barrel 12ga much. I always shot clays with a field gun. The best I ever shot was with an old Mossberg model 500 pump (no kidding) I shot 5 rounds of five stand at a perfect 20 with it. I have a Beretta Vitori Pintail auto now, and I shoot better with it in the field (no pump to activate). My snobby friends tease me about it, but I out shoot them so the scorecard tells the tale. Give me a field gun any day.

Old 04-08-2007, 10:38 PM
gAZINTa-Delinquent

genoway doesn't need a tube sockgenoway doesn't need a tube sockgenoway doesn't need a tube sockgenoway doesn't need a tube sockgenoway doesn't need a tube sockgenoway doesn't need a tube sockgenoway doesn't need a tube sockgenoway doesn't need a tube sockgenoway doesn't need a tube sockgenoway doesn't need a tube sockgenoway doesn't need a tube sock
For around $500 look at Walmart for the Tradions shotgun. It is made by Fausti Stefano of Brescia, Italy. They usually only have the 12 guage in stock, but can order the other guages.

Old 04-08-2007, 10:42 PM
Double-D

Scabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suck
Browning and Beretta have always had a pretty good reputation for clays (skeet, trap, sporting). Would need to look for good used however to get the price down for either.

"Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter."...Satchel Paige

"Mother Nature may dictate I grow older but there ain't nothin' nor nobody can make me grow up." ..Me

Old 04-09-2007, 08:36 AM
RedBeard

Gas operated Beretta trap and skeet guns are as dependable as the sunrise, and not badly priced. Good used 301 and 302 series models are great, and very affordable, if you can find them. Beretta over/unders range in price from affordable to "if you're Bill Gates you can buy this one."

My choice for over/under is Perazzi, but finding a good affordable used one is difficult, and new ones are pricey.
Old 04-09-2007, 01:18 PM
Clubhouse Electrician

Q-Dog has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowQ-Dog has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowQ-Dog has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowQ-Dog has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowQ-Dog has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowQ-Dog has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowQ-Dog has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowQ-Dog has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowQ-Dog has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowQ-Dog has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowQ-Dog has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
I shoot a Browning 425 ... 20 ga.with 28" barrels.
Your son could even shoot it.
Old 04-09-2007, 07:57 PM
chickenman

Rugar Red Label with 26" barrels.
Old 04-09-2007, 09:31 PM
Clubhouse Electrician

Q-Dog has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowQ-Dog has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowQ-Dog has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowQ-Dog has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowQ-Dog has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowQ-Dog has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowQ-Dog has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowQ-Dog has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowQ-Dog has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowQ-Dog has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowQ-Dog has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
20 ga. is the perfect shotgun for clays....IMHO...
Old 04-09-2007, 09:52 PM
Give me my Lays Beaver!

I know there are many good gauges but I will always recommend 12ga. It is easy to find shells anywhere and there is tons of reloading equipment available. If you shoot all day (4-6 boxes) a 12 will beat anybody up pretty bad and a 20ga may make more sense, but 12ga is the most highly supported gauge out there.

Old 04-13-2007, 09:14 PM
Permanently Pissy

billymac is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withbillymac is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withbillymac is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withbillymac is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withbillymac is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withbillymac is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withbillymac is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withbillymac is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withbillymac is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withbillymac is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withbillymac is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
Thanks guys, if my work every allows me to come off the road, I'm going to have a look at all your suggestions.

Many thanks.

Billy

2010 Ultra Classic, Sunglow Red
Curb Feelers and Pine Scent Air Freshener
Yammy TTR-230 Just for fun...

Old 04-14-2007, 08:00 AM
Double-D

FXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Sounds like you travel a lot. If so, and you're in Findlay, Ohio - I strongly recommend you drop in a place called Jaqua's. They've got a tremendous selection of fine shotguns, new and used - one of the finest in the country IMHO, and the prices are very competitive. You can get a good idea of what all the differences are, how they fit and feel, etc.

If you're going to get a decent shotgun and you're halfway serious about shooting it well, you might also budget to have it fitted. It will make all the difference in the world.

You can spend as much as you want for a good fitting - but before you do, pm me and I'll be glad to give you some good alternatives to the high end some are charging.
Old 04-14-2007, 08:26 AM
Give me my Lays Beaver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBeard View Post
Gas operated Beretta trap and skeet guns are as dependable as the sunrise, and not badly priced. Good used 301 and 302 series models are great, and very affordable, if you can find them. Beretta over/unders range in price from affordable to "if you're Bill Gates you can buy this one."

My choice for over/under is Perazzi, but finding a good affordable used one is difficult, and new ones are pricey.

Good call.

My Beretta is Recoil operated - similar to a Benelli
Kicks like a Horse but dependable and easy to clean.
Comfortable shooter, well balanced, lighter than a gasser and It works well for me. Wouldn't ever think of trading it for anything (not even a Benelli)