Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > Engine & Transmission
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Old 03-18-2007, 06:49 PM
MOOSE

High Idle

Here's the problem. Occasionally upon startup the idle on the bike is quite high. High enough there's no need to give gas when starting off in 1st. I'm quite certain it is not a sticky throttle cable. It only does this on startup and it wasn't doing it when I shut the bike down. And since it's EFI, I don't touch the throttle on startup.

Any ideas?
Old 03-18-2007, 06:55 PM
GazintA

TerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milk
How long does it do that? Mine does that sometimes, but if I let it sit while I put gloves and jacket on it's back to normal by the time I'm done. It seems engine temperature related, so I think it needs a little tweaking on the startup tables.

Engine by Otto.
Old 03-18-2007, 07:03 PM
MOOSE

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryMiller View Post
How long does it do that? Mine does that sometimes, but if I let it sit while I put gloves and jacket on it's back to normal by the time I'm done. It seems engine temperature related, so I think it needs a little tweaking on the startup tables.
Not for long. It usually will drop back down to normal if I blip it a few times. But last evening it took awhile longer. I went probably a few blocks from the house. After about a 10 mile ride to the softball fields, I shut it down. After about 2 hours, after my games, I got on and it didn't do it at all.

Startup tables can be changed through the PCIII?
Old 03-18-2007, 07:13 PM
GazintA

TerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milk
It can with a SERT, Don't know about a PCIII. I'm not worrying about mine though. A little higher idle is better than dying.

Engine by Otto.
Old 03-18-2007, 08:33 PM
GrayRider

It has a start up cycle that's built into the ECM. On cold start, it should idle high, then gradually begin to idle back down to around 1000 rpm's. This is called, "Decay." If it doesn't gradually idle down, then you'll need to take a look at maybe a leaking intake 0-ring.
Old 03-19-2007, 12:37 PM
I Like Dirt...!

Last Cigar Smoked: BubbleGum
Xkvator can happily embrace the suckXkvator can happily embrace the suckXkvator can happily embrace the suckXkvator can happily embrace the suckXkvator can happily embrace the suckXkvator can happily embrace the suckXkvator can happily embrace the suckXkvator can happily embrace the suckXkvator can happily embrace the suckXkvator can happily embrace the suckXkvator can happily embrace the suck
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayRider View Post
If it doesn't gradually idle down, then you'll need to take a look at maybe a leaking intake 0-ring.

...spray carb cleaner around the intakes

Some Mornings I Wake Up Grouchy.....others, I Let Her Sleep

Old 03-25-2007, 01:14 AM
MOOSE

Quote:
Originally Posted by xkvator View Post
...spray carb cleaner around the intakes
I took xkvator's advice first since it was such a quick and painless thing to do. So far after several starts no excessively high idle. Thanks for all the comments. If it returns, I'll have some more ideas.