Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > Engine & Transmission
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Old 03-09-2014, 04:54 PM
Breaker of Stuff

Last Cigar Smoked: 601 La Bomba
Bone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
BOPS's 57 transplant

Spent a fun and informative day in the dyno booth with Smart Dave & Wise Dave yesterday. We spent about 6 hours working on the tune. It's close, but not quite there yet. The initial numbers are 109hp/115tq. We feel there's a bit more to be had.

The componentry:

- CVO 110 motor
- Chisel air cleaner
- Andrews 57 cam
- .030 head gasket
- HPI 55mm throttle body
- Axtel oil bypass system
- Torrington cam bearing upgrade
- S&S Premium lifters
- S/E pushrods
- Jackpot coated X-pipe
- Full-size cross-under
- S/E Fatshotz mufflers w/closed caps

Random Musings:

- More throttle body noise from the cam than I expected. It's not horrible, and I suppose I'll get used to it.

- Top-end noise is nonexistent.

- There's a nasty dip in the torque curve at 3,000rpm. Dave's thinking that the flow is backing up due to the closed caps on the mufflers. I'll bring the open caps I have next week to see if that makes a difference.

- Dear God it's quiet. I was running 15 discs w/closed caps with the 255s in there. That was right at the limit of how loud I wanted. With 20 discs now it's far quieter than it was. I'm thinking that 10~12 discs and open caps might be the solution to the torque dip and maintain the quiet I want.

- There's been a lot of talk about proper O2 sensor placement on various head pipes. Certain people have mentioned that the Jackpot has issues with placement and therefore presents tuning problems. I'm happy to report that those people are wrong. We checked the A/Fs with widebands in the 18mm bungs and with sniffers in the pipes, and the readings were identical. Another myth busted.

- It runs well. Really well. It spools up quickly and smoothly without peakiness. Just a steady rush of energy pushing me back in the seat.

Overall, this is a great touring combination. Cylinder pressure is low, so it won't be fussy about fuel and it's easy on the crank. It's nice and quiet, so it won't wear me out on a 12-15 hour ride. No, it's not an insane powerhouse build, but that's fine. It's a fun, reliable, non-tempermental combination that'll get me down the road without sounding like WWIII. I know I'm leaving power on the table with the mufflers, but I value my hearing more than a dyno sheet I can brag about.

More to come next weekend when we finish it up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0122.jpg (86.4 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0124.jpg (59.8 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0125.jpg (75.4 KB, 112 views)

Make Doof Clenas Fun Again (MDCFA)

Last edited by Bone Stockman; 03-09-2014 at 05:23 PM.
Old 03-09-2014, 07:19 PM
RAM 2500 Cummins 4X4

Last Cigar Smoked: Man O' War Ruination
SafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Nice!

I'm anxious to get mine on a dyno...

I'm not hoping for numbers anywhere close to yours though.

From my Brother Don... I love his insight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWolf View Post
Postwhores are a dime a dozen.
What's impressive about you is that you are your own pimp.
Kudos!

Old 03-09-2014, 09:22 PM
Dirty Dirk, Canadian Doof

DAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milk
Congrats on the build!! Be interesting to see the comparison between the 57 and 54... Almost identical mills except for the TB, have my sheet Wednesday, Thursday the latest. Now you got me thinking triple trees, thought about those boys with the Mule but forgot all about it when I bought Dogfish....

Dirk
Old 03-09-2014, 09:53 PM
Zintaround

pa-glazier can happily embrace the suckpa-glazier can happily embrace the suckpa-glazier can happily embrace the suckpa-glazier can happily embrace the suckpa-glazier can happily embrace the suckpa-glazier can happily embrace the suckpa-glazier can happily embrace the suckpa-glazier can happily embrace the suckpa-glazier can happily embrace the suckpa-glazier can happily embrace the suckpa-glazier can happily embrace the suck
Sweet!

Old 03-09-2014, 10:31 PM
Mike Oxbig 43rd

Last Cigar Smoked: I haven't lately...
Fe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone Stockman View Post
- S/E pushrods
- Jackpot coated X-pipe
- Full-size cross-under
- S/E Fatshotz mufflers w/closed caps

Random Musings:

- More throttle body noise from the cam than I expected. It's not horrible, and I suppose I'll get used to it.

- Top-end noise is nonexistent.

- Dear God it's quiet. I was running 15 discs w/closed caps with the 255s in there. That was right at the limit of how loud I wanted. With 20 discs now it's far quieter than it was. I'm thinking that 10~12 discs and open caps might be the solution to the torque dip and maintain the quiet I want.

So, none of those annoying Harley type noises?

Somebody had to say it....

Overall, this is a great touring combination. Cylinder pressure is low, so it won't be fussy about fuel and it's easy on the crank. It's nice and quiet, so it won't wear me out on a 12-15 hour ride. No, it's not an insane powerhouse build, but that's fine. It's a fun, reliable, non-tempermental combination that'll get me down the road without sounding like WWIII. I know I'm leaving power on the table with the mufflers, but I value my hearing more than a dyno sheet I can brag about.

More to come next weekend when we finish it up.

Sounds great, hope the torque dip goes away for your enjoyment

MDCGA

The Road Goes On Forever...
To Ride is Life...

In search of the Doof 43. . . .

Colorado Motel Wreckers 2012 ... Midnight Riders of The Beartooth 2013...

Old 03-09-2014, 11:33 PM
The other white meat

Last Cigar Smoked: La Aroma de Cuba Edicion Especial
Infidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
I've always run open end caps on the Fat Shots. On a bike I had prior to the CVO I had some similar mufflers with closed end caps. Guess what? I had a torque dip right around 3000 RPM. It didn't seem to matter how many discs I added, the torque dip wouldn't go away. I don't have a dip with the SE Fat Shotz, which came with an open end cap. And it's quiet as stock.

I know you think you understood what I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

[
Old 03-10-2014, 05:52 AM
Original Delinquent

Backroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milk
Yeah, I was a little after installing the 57, until I read somewhere about the noise it creates in the TB. After 10k miles, I don't really notice it anymore unless I try to listen for it.

Congrats Russ

Kimber

Old 03-10-2014, 09:19 AM
The Other Founder
President for Life
Double-D

Last Cigar Smoked: PDR 1878 Reserva Dominicana Capa Oscura
MegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glasses
"we".
More like "he" while "I" annoyed him.

http://sherlynpopelka.net/

Revelation 19:11
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse;
and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True,
and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

*Usual manly disclaimer applies, if applicable.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:37 AM
Double-D
Formidable Faux

MrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
I do wish y'all would get it sorted out so I can 'borrow' your PV tune. And maybe I'll be ready put 57s in mine .

Ricky
it's only metal, we can out think it.....

Simplicate, never Complify
http://www.FraZzledEgGs.com

Rhetorical Questions....
Who Needs 'em?

Famous Tripod
Old 03-10-2014, 11:11 AM
Doof Clenas Member

Last Cigar Smoked: Probably a Swisher Sweet
Ancient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suck
"More throttle body noise from the cam than I expected. It's not horrible, and I suppose I'll get used to it."

The 48's have some of this also Russ. Also, a nasty reversion valley from 2200 to 2800 RPM.
Old 03-10-2014, 11:26 AM
grapenutless

Last Cigar Smoked: none of your danged business
y2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
did you also replace your throttle body? if so how come?

here is your sheet btw.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pages from dynosheets.jpg (77.7 KB, 77 views)
who's to blame in 2014?
OH THIS IS SO NOODLES FAULT
Chitty Chitty

Old 03-10-2014, 11:52 AM
Original Delinquent

Backroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milk
More of a slight depression. You won't feel that. 100 flbs at 2500.

Kimber

Old 03-10-2014, 12:16 PM
Breaker of Stuff

Last Cigar Smoked: 601 La Bomba
Bone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Dave thinks he can do better. I have faith in Dave. I do want to see what the open caps do though.

Sent from my iPad, probably while I'm pooping.

Make Doof Clenas Fun Again (MDCFA)

Old 03-10-2014, 12:37 PM
Bard of the 43 Words

Last Cigar Smoked: 5 Vegas Miami
TimmyD can happily embrace the suckTimmyD can happily embrace the suckTimmyD can happily embrace the suckTimmyD can happily embrace the suckTimmyD can happily embrace the suckTimmyD can happily embrace the suckTimmyD can happily embrace the suckTimmyD can happily embrace the suckTimmyD can happily embrace the suckTimmyD can happily embrace the suckTimmyD can happily embrace the suck
Pics showed the Smart & Wise Dave...

...and the Dippsy Dave...
2003 FXD aka 'Wild Blue'
"Ask not what Doof Clenas can do for you, but what you can do for Doof Clenas." TimmyD (2006)

Old 03-10-2014, 03:27 PM
Original Delinquent

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyD View Post
Pics showed the Smart & Wise Dave...

...and the Dippsy Dave...
Timmy, you ARE alive

Of course, you might still be sleeping in the Dog House since Christmas.

Kimber