Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > Engine & Transmission
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Old 01-01-2011, 05:40 PM
Double-D

why_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milk
Cam plate removed, runout checked

Got the cam plate off today, after receiving the cam locking tool from George. Got the dial indicator setup and checked runout. Let me know when I should set fire to the garage for the insurance claim.

The dial indicator setup

Zeroed in on crank

Max Runout indicated

"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid" - Gen Eisenhower.
Old 01-01-2011, 05:41 PM
Double-D

why_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milk
If you look at where the dial indicator is touching the crank, you can see some scoring. I can feel it with my fingernail. They aren't deep, but they are there for sure.
"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid" - Gen Eisenhower.
Old 01-01-2011, 05:57 PM
Breaker of Stuff

Last Cigar Smoked: 601 La Bomba
Bone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
I'm no expert, but I wouldn't be comfortable leaving that as-is.

Make Doof Clenas Fun Again (MDCFA)

Old 01-01-2011, 05:59 PM
Double-D

Closer up pic of the scoring.

Old 01-01-2011, 06:00 PM
Double-D

Scabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suck
What's factory limits on runout up to now?

"Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter."...Satchel Paige

"Mother Nature may dictate I grow older but there ain't nothin' nor nobody can make me grow up." ..Me

Old 01-01-2011, 06:01 PM
Breaker of Stuff

Bone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
.012, but I think that's twice what it used to be.

Old 01-01-2011, 06:03 PM
Double-D

Readin an earlier thread on the subject, it seems that .005" was max before warranty work. They relaxed it to .012".

Old 01-01-2011, 06:08 PM
Breaker of Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Why_Me View Post
Readin an earlier thread on the subject, it seems that .005" was max before warranty work. They relaxed it to .012".

Yeah, and I believe .003 is the threshold for gear drive.

Old 01-01-2011, 06:09 PM
gAZINTa - Delinquent

dzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Ed....what are you planning to do to the beast???

I'm new here, and a skimmer.
Old 01-01-2011, 06:12 PM
Double-D

It all started with a large amount of oil exiting the air cleaner on longer rides, to the point of oil being all down the side of the bike when I got back from WI last September. Dug in to make sure I didn't have a runout issue and that the oil pump wasn't misaligned. Decided to do cams along the way since I'll be in there already. If I end up having to do major work here, I'll probably forgo the go fast parts in favor of just getting it running.
Old 01-01-2011, 06:23 PM
gAZINTa - Delinquent

dzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Like Russ said, the threshold for gear drive is low. I've heard it
as high as .004".

I had mine checked a couple of summers ago, and they said
it was close to .007"

I'm not gonna worry about it...yet. Saving my pennies for some crank work.
Old 01-01-2011, 06:30 PM
Dirty Dirk, Canadian Doof

DAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milk
Hey Ed,
Tough call, but if it were mine the cases would be getting split. The crank in my photo had .004 runout and my manual says.003, but I was fortunate to have a new 103 crank in the shop.

Please don't give up on your go fast goodies, your in up to eyeballs now whats a few more sheckles when she's all torn down....... Just been thru it

Dirk
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC02681.JPG (126.4 KB, 148 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02683.JPG (74.4 KB, 147 views)
Old 01-01-2011, 06:32 PM
Double-D

I'm not planning on going with gear drive cams. Maybe I should put it back together and run it till it grenades on me.
Old 01-01-2011, 06:35 PM
gAZINTa - Delinquent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Why_Me View Post
I'm not planning on going with gear drive cams. Maybe I should put it back together and run it till it grenades on me.
That's my plan, 'course I got the extended warranty until 2014.
Old 01-01-2011, 06:36 PM
Doof Clenas Member

Last Cigar Smoked: Probably a Swisher Sweet
Ancient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suck
Not pretty Ed. I don't think I could live with that runout.

Greg