Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > Engine & Transmission
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Old 05-18-2009, 09:54 PM
Hmmm...

Serg06 doesn't need a tube sockSerg06 doesn't need a tube sockSerg06 doesn't need a tube sockSerg06 doesn't need a tube sockSerg06 doesn't need a tube sockSerg06 doesn't need a tube sockSerg06 doesn't need a tube sockSerg06 doesn't need a tube sockSerg06 doesn't need a tube sockSerg06 doesn't need a tube sockSerg06 doesn't need a tube sock
Thank you Ken for the links. I will look at them in the morning.
Something will turn up. It sucks because I was planning on riding this long weekened to Vegas. Guess I'm working on her instead.

Old 05-19-2009, 03:15 PM
Amsoil Site Sponsor
Double-D

Geezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Here's what happens to a big motor when you pound the power to it.

First all that power has to go somewhere. Usually it's to the rear wheel, and you get wheel spin. Then the tire hooks up. Then the torque puts vertical AND lateral forces into the frame. From the belt pulling the top of the pulley, the wheel/swingarm assembly actually torques to the right. In other words, there's so much pulling on the top of the pulley, the swing arm deflects inside those shitty rubber hangers, and twists. Do this enough, and the trans housing where the pivot shaft goes thru will eventually fail.

Now, I know y'all are going to jump up and say not all big motors do this. True. But..... Serge is a self avowed throttle hammer, am I right? Do this enough to ANY big motor, and you'll find frame/housing/suspension failures somewhere along the line.

Couple this up with some factors. Was the sand casting of the housing weak? Was the drive train misaligned in the first place, thereby adding more twisting forces to the pivot area?

If it were my bike, I'd look into one of the setup's that run the heavy duty bushing/bearing assembly's in place of the rubber hangers. I'd also put some kind of anti wiggle divise on too such as Progressive or Tru Track or Alloy Art. Gotta keep that ass end nailed down.

Back in the day, I had an AMF Sportster that twisted so badly when I beat the shit out of it, it would actually derail the rear chain. That was always fun to fix.

Good luck Serge!!!!

Oh yea, when you do put something back in her, do NOT put the inner race back on the final output shaft. Get a Baker bearing/seal combo that goes in the inner primary. Thirty bucks well spent.

Meng

TKWSV

Old 05-22-2009, 02:31 PM
Pimp Bagger

iggy_montoya can happily embrace the suckiggy_montoya can happily embrace the suckiggy_montoya can happily embrace the suckiggy_montoya can happily embrace the suckiggy_montoya can happily embrace the suckiggy_montoya can happily embrace the suckiggy_montoya can happily embrace the suckiggy_montoya can happily embrace the suckiggy_montoya can happily embrace the suckiggy_montoya can happily embrace the suckiggy_montoya can happily embrace the suck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezer-Glide View Post
Here's what happens to a big motor when you pound the power to it.

First all that power has to go somewhere. Usually it's to the rear wheel, and you get wheel spin. Then the tire hooks up. Then the torque puts vertical AND lateral forces into the frame. From the belt pulling the top of the pulley, the wheel/swingarm assembly actually torques to the right. In other words, there's so much pulling on the top of the pulley, the swing arm deflects inside those shitty rubber hangers, and twists. Do this enough, and the trans housing where the pivot shaft goes thru will eventually fail.

Now, I know y'all are going to jump up and say not all big motors do this. True. But..... Serge is a self avowed throttle hammer, am I right? Do this enough to ANY big motor, and you'll find frame/housing/suspension failures somewhere along the line.

Couple this up with some factors. Was the sand casting of the housing weak? Was the drive train misaligned in the first place, thereby adding more twisting forces to the pivot area?

If it were my bike, I'd look into one of the setup's that run the heavy duty bushing/bearing assembly's in place of the rubber hangers. I'd also put some kind of anti wiggle divise on too such as Progressive or Tru Track or Alloy Art. Gotta keep that ass end nailed down.

Back in the day, I had an AMF Sportster that twisted so badly when I beat the shit out of it, it would actually derail the rear chain. That was always fun to fix.

Good luck Serge!!!!

Oh yea, when you do put something back in her, do NOT put the inner race back on the final output shaft. Get a Baker bearing/seal combo that goes in the inner primary. Thirty bucks well spent.

Sounds like good sound advice

Ich bin ein Doofclenas!
Ti amo doof molto
Doof Clenasの規則
"Truth is something you stumble into when you think you're going some place else." - Jerry Garcia

The road to Starbucks is Rubbed with Posers!
Old 05-22-2009, 03:13 PM
Obsolete Doof Prospect

ridingjerry is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withridingjerry is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withridingjerry is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withridingjerry is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withridingjerry is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withridingjerry is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withridingjerry is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withridingjerry is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withridingjerry is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withridingjerry is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withridingjerry is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
Hope you find a housing and are back on the road again soon.

Introducing the Al Gore engine

Obsolete Doof
1998 Obsolete Springer Rider
Part time Shovel Rider
Some time XLCH Kicker

Old 05-24-2009, 03:56 PM
Hmmm...

Serg06 doesn't need a tube sockSerg06 doesn't need a tube sockSerg06 doesn't need a tube sockSerg06 doesn't need a tube sockSerg06 doesn't need a tube sockSerg06 doesn't need a tube sockSerg06 doesn't need a tube sockSerg06 doesn't need a tube sockSerg06 doesn't need a tube sockSerg06 doesn't need a tube sockSerg06 doesn't need a tube sock
Started the removal today. Took some pics. You can see the break in these two pics. I will post pics of the trans when it's out of the bike as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_1221.jpg (89.5 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1224.jpg (42.2 KB, 65 views)

Old 05-24-2009, 05:27 PM
Outlaw

Last Cigar Smoked: Camel WIDES
Sidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
That don't look right.

"It's not the dog in the fight, but the fight in the dog." - Michael Vick.
Old 05-26-2009, 10:50 AM
Hmmm...

Foud a housing on ebay today for $150.00 Can't wait to get it.

Old 05-26-2009, 10:56 AM
snow pirate

Last Cigar Smoked: No thanks.
stoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serg06 View Post
Foud a housing on ebay today for $150.00 Can't wait to get it.
Good deal..... how long til ya get it?

ALL WHO WANDER ARE NOT LOST.

GFFG
Old 05-26-2009, 10:59 AM
Hmmm...

I should have it by the end of the week. It will give me enough time to get off my butt and finish removing the broke one.

Old 05-26-2009, 11:01 AM
gAZINTa - Delinquent

dzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Started the removal today. Took some pics. You can see the break in these two pics. I will post pics of the trans when it's out of the bike as well.
That sucks.
Old 05-26-2009, 03:44 PM
Hmmm...

Check this out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_1227.jpg (57.6 KB, 65 views)

Old 05-26-2009, 03:46 PM
Bon vivant!

orbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Check this out.
Man, that's failure with a capital 'F'!

Does it look like it was floppin' around a bit before it broke all the way?
Old 05-26-2009, 03:47 PM
Double-D

Scabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suck
holy sh!t............looks like it was just kind of sittin in there waiting to drop...

"Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter."...Satchel Paige

"Mother Nature may dictate I grow older but there ain't nothin' nor nobody can make me grow up." ..Me

Old 05-26-2009, 03:48 PM
Hmmm...

I think I'll stop trying to pop wheely's. Need to enjoy and not destroy.

Old 05-26-2009, 03:50 PM
Hmmm...

I think the gy I bought it from had a problem, I found dirt grime and sand in the shaft housing. It should have been clean. maybe some lubricant but thats it.