Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > The Attic > General Bike Discussions
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Old 01-04-2010, 04:51 PM
Just breakin' balls

71baldboy stays crunchy even in milk71baldboy stays crunchy even in milk71baldboy stays crunchy even in milk71baldboy stays crunchy even in milk71baldboy stays crunchy even in milk71baldboy stays crunchy even in milk71baldboy stays crunchy even in milk71baldboy stays crunchy even in milk71baldboy stays crunchy even in milk71baldboy stays crunchy even in milk71baldboy stays crunchy even in milk
I never really knew

there was so much anti-Harley rider sentiment out there.
I've been reading some blogs and comment sights that really display lots of (i really believe its Hatred) towards Harley riders.
Since that South Park episode came out alot of people have really been vocal about their dislike.
I can fully appreciate the noise debate, some bike are pretty darn loud, but i put up with trucks and buses down my road, plus i live on Adelaides best know motorcycling Rd and hear some pretty loud Dukes and Rice Rockets on the weekends.
I get the feeling there's more to it than just the loud Harleys issue, seems to me there is some deeper underlying issues/feelings.

I wanna live forever...So far so good

Stoney61 is a Demi God

I'm not bald, it's a solar panel for a sex machine!
Old 01-04-2010, 05:13 PM
gAZINTa - Delinquent

ms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glassesms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glassesms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glassesms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glassesms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glassesms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glassesms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glassesms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glassesms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glassesms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glassesms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glasses
I don't run into it so much, maybe because I'm a woman, but yeah, it's out there. Maybe Harley envy? Not everyone can afford one and some people prefer to hate them because they can't have one. I don't know.

High Priestess of the Cloudriders
Old 01-04-2010, 05:19 PM
Just breakin' balls

71baldboy stays crunchy even in milk71baldboy stays crunchy even in milk71baldboy stays crunchy even in milk71baldboy stays crunchy even in milk71baldboy stays crunchy even in milk71baldboy stays crunchy even in milk71baldboy stays crunchy even in milk71baldboy stays crunchy even in milk71baldboy stays crunchy even in milk71baldboy stays crunchy even in milk71baldboy stays crunchy even in milk
I was thinkin' the same thing, maybe a little jealousy. I haven't run into either, and the cops here are starting to enforce the laws in regards to db readings.

I wanna live forever...So far so good

Stoney61 is a Demi God

I'm not bald, it's a solar panel for a sex machine!
Old 01-04-2010, 05:25 PM
gAZINTa - Delinquent

ms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glassesms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glassesms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glassesms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glassesms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glassesms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glassesms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glassesms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glassesms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glassesms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glassesms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glasses
the db enforcement is happening in the states too. specifically around towns that hold huge rallies. i think that's a case of wanting their cake and eating it too, seems to me the town that holds a rally pulls in a lot of loot. i guess we're supposed to coast into town with engines turned off.

High Priestess of the Cloudriders
Old 01-04-2010, 05:44 PM
R.I.P.
chemo toddy

y2k king stays crunchy even in milky2k king stays crunchy even in milky2k king stays crunchy even in milky2k king stays crunchy even in milky2k king stays crunchy even in milky2k king stays crunchy even in milky2k king stays crunchy even in milky2k king stays crunchy even in milky2k king stays crunchy even in milky2k king stays crunchy even in milky2k king stays crunchy even in milk
i had a h0nda in my garage sat night. it was real quiet.

Old 01-04-2010, 06:18 PM
grapenutless

Last Cigar Smoked: none of your danged business
y2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
I think its that a lot of people get harleys and think they are the sh!t! they come of with some bs attitude so people don't like them.....

go ahead flame on I can take it......
who's to blame in 2014?
OH THIS IS SO NOODLES FAULT
Chitty Chitty

Old 01-04-2010, 06:20 PM
Queasy Rider

gasbag has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowgasbag has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowgasbag has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowgasbag has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowgasbag has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowgasbag has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowgasbag has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowgasbag has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowgasbag has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowgasbag has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowgasbag has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
I know how you feel.

I am a bit over 60 and have wanted a Harley since I was 15 or so. I finally bought mine last year.

The FIRST thing I noticed were some rather odd glances or stares when I rode by or was stopped at a light. Sort of like they didn't want me there.
My bike is not loud, well, for a Harley. I have even seen some parents kind of grab onto their little kids like I am going to go over and eat them alive. I wouldn't do that. I hate kids, they taste bad.

Now keep in mind that I am a gray haired gray bearded old fart who wouldn't hurt anyone. I drive very conservatively and am always smiling when I ride. I can't help it, it's a reflex.

I believe these people are reacting to the news media and the media in general as they exaggerate and enhance any motorcycle related incident on the news. Any biker who gets into trouble automatically becomes each one of us. Any person on a Harley wearing leather is automatically a Hell's Angel in the public's eye.

I believe they are also reacting to those idiots who ride the crotch rockets. Around here they are screaming up and down the roads, doing wheelies and racing and in general making a nuisance out of themselves. Once again, those who do that are in a huge minority compared to the total amount of metric bikes out there. Most of the public can't tell the difference between a metric bike, a Harley or a Vespa for that matter.

I think people prejudge us by what they see on tv and hear on the news. If it is on the news it must be true. I also think that most people can't imagine enjoying motorcycles and the freedom they give us. They don't understand it so they judge it to be wrong.

The above of course is just my opinion.

By the time you read this you’ve already read it.
Old 01-04-2010, 06:21 PM
Double-D

why_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milk
Hell with em.
"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid" - Gen Eisenhower.
Old 01-04-2010, 06:24 PM
grapenutless

y2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by why_me View Post
Hell with em.
I meant to add that too.....
who's to blame in 2014?
Chitty Chitty

Old 01-04-2010, 06:25 PM
NaturalSelection lobbyist

Last Cigar Smoked: some cheap, dried out Cuban brand
Gummiente doesn't need a tube sockGummiente doesn't need a tube sockGummiente doesn't need a tube sockGummiente doesn't need a tube sockGummiente doesn't need a tube sockGummiente doesn't need a tube sockGummiente doesn't need a tube sockGummiente doesn't need a tube sockGummiente doesn't need a tube sockGummiente doesn't need a tube sockGummiente doesn't need a tube sock
I've been on the receiving end of anti-Harley sentiments ever since I had my first one, an '86 XLH 1100. I've been on various other brands since then over the years and am now on my 4th one, but little has changed in the way they are regarded by those who've never swung a leg over one. I've seen the same old misinformation about poor reliability, oil leaks, parts falling off, etc, etc, so many times I can pretty much quote it all from memory. Same thing with all the "jokes" and put-downs... seems that every time someone finally gets a computer, figures out how to post on the internet and joins a non-HD motorcycle forum, one of their first "OMG this is so funny" posts is the one about the Schwinn bicycle passing a Harley. I don't think there is a Harley "joke" out there that I haven't heard. I've run internet clubs for various makes and have been a Moderator on several all-brand forums over the years and it's always the same old story... someone posts something derogatory about a Harley and when I take them to task on it they pull the old "Gee, I was only joking" routine. Everybody loves to get the big, bad Harley rider mad. I get so sick of it sometimes that I have to take time away from the forums to calm down.

In my world, as long as it has two wheels and an engine it doesn't matter what it says on the gas tank. I like motorcycles. Period. To each their own and all that, but when someone has to publicly cut down someone else's choice of ride that just gets my blood boiling. And when I dig deep into a Harley basher's psyche I always come up with the same reason - jealousy. But the factors behind that jealousy vary; sometimes it is because they can't afford one, sometimes it is because they were rudely treated at a Harley dealership and more often that not it is because a Harley rider made fun of their bike or didn't wave to them on the road.

Those last two are the main reasons why you don't find me on very many Harley forums. We are our own worst enemy when it comes to how others perceive us and for that reason I will never have a HOG patch on my back. When Stoney first told me about this place and suggested I check it out, I was not very eager to do so because of so many bad memories from other Harley forums. But so far I have to admit that this is a very friendly place and seems to be free of a lot of the crap I don't like to see.

On my own Ural owners forum, I don't allow brand bashing of ANY type and a few members have learned that the hard way. Funny, though, how it's only ever Harley that gets bashed... you just don't see a lot of anti BMW, *****, Triumph, etc, sentiments out there.

Anyway. This whole issue has been a constant thorn in my side over the years and as long as Harleys continue to make bikes - and as long as there are some individuals who act like idiots on them - there will always be anti-Harley sentiments just about wherever you go.

Arrrrrrrr, eh?!

Old 01-04-2010, 06:31 PM
Breaker of Stuff

Last Cigar Smoked: 601 La Bomba
Bone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
As a former metric rider, I can tell you why that sentiment exists.

A lot of douchebags ride Harleys. I'm not saying all Harley riders are douchebags, nor am I saying that douchebags only ride Harleys, but there are a lot of douchebag Harley owners out there.

There are a lot of motorcycle riders out there that don't give a damn where their bike was made. It gets tiresome hearing some Harley owners talk about their American Pride while they're wearing their Chinese Harley shirts.

There are a lot of motorcycle riders out there who don't want to hear their bike. It gets tiresome to them to pull up behind a Harley rider who won't stop blipping their throttle.

There are a lot of motorcycle riders out there who don't like the way Harleys look. They want a sportbike, or a non-nostalgic-looking tourer. It gets tiresome hearing that they're riding rice, or that they're jealous.

And the sad fact is that there are a lot of Harley owners who suddenly thought they were Peter f*cking Fonda once they bought their bike. They're Billy Badass with a fresh tat and two days growth. These tools do more to damage our reputation than any patch group ever could.

10 years ago, you couldn't have given me a Harley. I thought they were overweight, overpriced, unreliable, mid-life crisis machines for people who liked fancy garage ornaments. And you know what? I was right. Look at the vast majority of the people you see on other forums, or out in the real world. People who brag about never having water touch their bike. People who are shocked that you'd put more than a thousand miles a year on your bike ("you'll ruin your investment").

Me, I like riding. Right now I'm a Harley guy, but if I could afford it, I'd have at least two Ducatis (a Monster and a Hypermotard), a Buell Ulysses, an old-school V-Max, and a Ural. Bottom line, it doesn't matter what you ride, just that you ride.

Face it, the people here are the vast minority of Harley owners.....We actually enjoy riding, and for the most part we don't give a sh*t what other people ride.

Make Doof Clenas Fun Again (MDCFA)

Old 01-04-2010, 06:38 PM
Double-D

why_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milk
I don't like your face.
"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid" - Gen Eisenhower.
Old 01-04-2010, 06:42 PM
grapenutless

someone called me a douchebag......
who's to blame in 2014?
Chitty Chitty

Old 01-04-2010, 06:48 PM
Double-D

I'll kick everyone's ass!
Old 01-04-2010, 06:48 PM
Double-D

BLUMBLUBBLUBBROOMBLUBBLUB!!!!!!!!