Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Specific Interest > Remodeling or Building
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Remodeling or Building Got a project going or finished... Got a question...

Old 01-09-2009, 10:36 PM
Double-D
Self Proclaimed Pariah

Dirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
I went to Menards and bought a work bench kit. it had all the basics. Then I modded it so it's heavy duty. It works good. And I'm the worst carpenter the world has ever known.

'08 Ultra
S&S SPO's
Old 01-09-2009, 10:37 PM
gAZINTa-Delinquent

Thorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sock
Zerk, build two 2x4 rectangles with your dimensions, use 4" decking screws to assemble. Then see how high you want it (to your leg specifications...hehe), and then take 2x6 and cut them to length for the legs, and take 4" decking screws and screw it to one of the rectangles (the legs go inside the rectangles and flush with the top) like only a cheesehead can do....thus, use lots of screws. See where you want the bottom, (about 8"-12" above the floor so you can pack more crap under the bench on the floor), remember, you just might want to sweep under the bench some day. Screw in 2x4 cross-members every two feet in the rectangles, then cover top and bottom shelf with 3/4" plywood, and screw down with 1" drywall screws. You will end up with one fine (cheesehead proof) workbench which you'll be proud to show all your brandy and fish boil friends, and possibly paint it GREEN & GOLD!

Thorns

"The right of the people to keep and bear arms." "Gimme back, gimme back my bullets"

Old 01-09-2009, 10:41 PM
Excommunicated

Berserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girl
I was at Fleetfarm Sunday. They had Christmas lights on sale, I bought box of green and gold.
Old 01-09-2009, 10:50 PM
Excommunicated

Berserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Dan View Post
I went to Menards and bought a work bench kit. it had all the basics. Then I modded it so it's heavy duty. It works good. And I'm the worst carpenter the world has ever known.
Thought about that. But I have all these visions or me working with wood. It jsut never turns out like the vision.
Old 01-09-2009, 10:54 PM
Excommunicated

Speaking of brandy.....
Old 01-09-2009, 11:11 PM
Excommunicated

Is it 8' reasonable? I wanted the grandaddy of benches.
Old 01-09-2009, 11:12 PM
El Errante

thrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milk
Do yourself a favor and draw a sketch with dimensions of your framing first.

Erasing on a sketch is way cheaper than wasting good lumber.

Old 01-09-2009, 11:15 PM
Excommunicated

Oh I got sketches. I have been over thinking this thing.

I need to work on getting things square. I bought a quick grip, some spring clamps and a 2' one. I don't know if I will need that one. But dammit I got it.
Old 01-09-2009, 11:15 PM
Double-D
Self Proclaimed Pariah

Dirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berserker View Post
Thought about that. But I have all these visions or me working with wood. It jsut never turns out like the vision.
Bob Vila would laugh. It suits my needs...which consist mainly of holding up my stock mufflers.

'08 Ultra
S&S SPO's
Old 01-09-2009, 11:26 PM
gAZINTa-Delinquent

Thorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sock
Keep the lengths equal and it will be square. Or, you can buy a square or use the 3, 4, 5 90* method...measure 3 feet on leg, 4 feet on another leg, will equal 5 feet across the two ends. Most cheeseheads just go to the lumber yard and fill up the back of the pickup with lumber, then you will see what they didn't use for many years...usually outside of the garage, stacked up against the siding, then used to lean other stuff against it, until you have a path around the garage........right Zerk? Out here we have Pennsyltuckians that do the same thing...

Thorns

"The right of the people to keep and bear arms." "Gimme back, gimme back my bullets"

Old 01-09-2009, 11:27 PM
Yes, they are Real.......

harleyjsb doesn't need a tube sockharleyjsb doesn't need a tube sockharleyjsb doesn't need a tube sockharleyjsb doesn't need a tube sockharleyjsb doesn't need a tube sockharleyjsb doesn't need a tube sockharleyjsb doesn't need a tube sockharleyjsb doesn't need a tube sockharleyjsb doesn't need a tube sockharleyjsb doesn't need a tube sockharleyjsb doesn't need a tube sock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berserker View Post
I've screwed and nailed things, but the next day, they never seem right.
That's why I was single for almost 20 years..........

Keeper Of The Toast
2006 Post Whore Of The Year

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES; NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING, BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS........
Old 01-09-2009, 11:32 PM
El Errante

thrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milk
Are you going to have a big bonfire with all the wasted lumber from this project?

Old 01-09-2009, 11:40 PM
Double-D

Scabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suck
A good way to stabelize and keep the bench square as well as add storage is to build a full shelf about 12" to 18" from the floor.

"Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter."...Satchel Paige

"Mother Nature may dictate I grow older but there ain't nothin' nor nobody can make me grow up." ..Me

Old 01-09-2009, 11:48 PM
gAZINTa-Delinquent

That's what the bottom rectangle is for.......

Thorns

Old 01-09-2009, 11:54 PM
El Errante

Berserker. Another thing I would do is use screws to put it together instead of nails. 3-1/2" decking screws or drywall screws. A cordless drill with a phillips head bit is perfect for the job. Buy a few of the phillips bits as they may round off.

Predrill holes,... much less splitting of lumber. The screws are super strong. Its very easy to take apart if you ever wanted to add on or redo it if you mess up.