Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > Engine & Transmission
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Old 05-03-2010, 05:18 PM
Original Delinquent

Backroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezer-Glide View Post
I paid 125 online. I'm not home right now, so I don't have the bookmark available. Dealer price is around 200 bucks and the book calls for 4 hours labor. That would bring the cost to around 600 bucks including taxes.
I'd call that reasonable.

I just had my stator and rotor replaced by the Dealer in Wytheville, VA. They charged me 3.1 hours of labor. Parts were 443.35, and no I didn't call Jenni. I don't have the tools here to work on it, and didn't want to wait and see "if" the parts were available by mail. They had the parts and were exceptional to deal with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swmnkdinthervr View Post
Oh really...!!!???

Dealers in this area charge between 8-10 hours for replacement + the cost of the belt.
That's robbery, anyway you slice it.

Kimber

Last edited by Backroad Mike; 05-03-2010 at 10:58 PM.
Old 05-03-2010, 06:07 PM
Not just another pretty face

vafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milk
I got a cut/hole in the center of the belt from a stone. That was 40k miles ago. Every time I think about changing it, I look at the hole that hasn't changed in size and keep getting up.
Old 05-03-2010, 11:00 PM
Original Delinquent

Backroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milk
Quote:
Originally Posted by vafatboy View Post
I got a cut/hole in the center of the belt from a stone. That was 40k miles ago. Every time I think about changing it, I look at the hole that hasn't changed in size and keep getting up.
As long as it's not getting bigger, I guess your ok.

I wouldn't ride across country that way.

Kimber

Old 05-06-2010, 08:10 AM
Mike Oxbig 43rd

Last Cigar Smoked: I haven't lately...
Fe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Is it recommended to replace the drive pulleys at the same time?

MDCGA

The Road Goes On Forever...
To Ride is Life...

In search of the Doof 43. . . .

Colorado Motel Wreckers 2012 ... Midnight Riders of The Beartooth 2013...

Old 05-06-2010, 10:32 AM
Double-D
Formidable Faux

MrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
I recently replaced mine because I was swapping to a wider tire. Picked mine up from eBay for 130. Dayco Panther. Its a big job, special tools, etc. I had it apart for other reasons so not so much of a big deal while I was in there.I called the local dealer just now and was quoted $566 to replace the stock belt on a 2001 RK.
This includes the $240 for the belt.

Ricky
it's only metal, we can out think it.....

Simplicate, never Complify
http://www.FraZzledEgGs.com

Rhetorical Questions....
Who Needs 'em?

Famous Tripod
Old 05-06-2010, 10:34 AM
Double-D
Formidable Faux

MrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fe Butte View Post
Is it recommended to replace the drive pulleys at the same time?
Not required, but subject to inspection.

Ricky
it's only metal, we can out think it.....

Simplicate, never Complify
http://www.FraZzledEgGs.com

Rhetorical Questions....
Who Needs 'em?

Famous Tripod
Old 12-11-2010, 11:34 PM
Known Associate

P 0 P E Y E has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowP 0 P E Y E has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowP 0 P E Y E has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowP 0 P E Y E has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowP 0 P E Y E has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowP 0 P E Y E has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowP 0 P E Y E has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowP 0 P E Y E has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowP 0 P E Y E has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowP 0 P E Y E has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowP 0 P E Y E has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
my belt parted in my driveway and I am going to install the new item

The tools are available on line.

I will tackel it after Christmas

] G A Z I N T A S Doofspicible............

CT-7, MA-7, NY-7, CT-43, MA-43, NY-43
Old 12-12-2010, 07:09 AM
Original Delinquent

Seeing that I had to replace mine last month, here's the latest.

Belt from HD: 199.00 From Jenni (shipped) 179.00
Seals Gaskets: 51.00
1 1/2 & 1 3/8 sockets 29.00 (bought a 5 pc set of large sockets fm Sears)
2 cans of parts cleaner: 9.00
1 large roll paper towels: 1.00
1 qt 75-90 Lucas gear oil: 10.00
new rear pulley (87.00 ebay)

Total cost done in my garage: $366.00
Having our friend come 90 miles with a trailer to get us: Priceless:

Shennandoah HD wanted 4.5 hour labor and did NOT have a belt in stock.
To be honest, Jenni didn't either and it took 8 days before it arrived.

I already had 1/2" breaker bar and a 4' piece of black iron pipe to use over the end of the breaker to remove the comp nut and good torque wrench.

Replacing the rear pulley was necessary because after 118k it was starting to come apart and could have been the reason for the belt failure. Approximately 55k miles on this belt. First one was replaced at 63k when we did the 103 build. I dont see the value in the supposed tougher belts posted earlier if thier failing around 50k. A very reliable HD parts manager I know said they don't last past 60-65k anyway.

Kimber

Old 12-12-2010, 08:39 AM
Doof Clenas Member

Last Cigar Smoked: Probably a Swisher Sweet
Ancient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suck
Interesting info sir.

At a little under 50K my belt and drive pulley are both looking very rough. Each belt tooth has 2 deep wear spots through the rubber into the fiber.

I've been shopping around and I think I'll try the heavy duty sidecar belt, (40130-03 for 97'-03' 139T) it's only $16 higher. And of course replace both pulleys.

Greg
Old 12-12-2010, 09:03 AM
Pu Dekcuf Lla

PeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
I have been researching this for a few weeks, I am going with a 530 oring roller chain and a Zippers sprocket kit. I am still on my first belt, the pullys look like they are flaking but the belt looks fine. Crappy design having to pull the whole primary and swingarm apart to swap a common wear item. Chains may be old school, but they are proven and they are a bitch to break.
Old 12-12-2010, 09:27 AM
Original Delinquent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancient Iron View Post
Interesting info sir.

At a little under 50K my belt and drive pulley are both looking very rough. Each belt tooth has 2 deep wear spots through the rubber into the fiber.

I've been shopping around and I think I'll try the heavy duty sidecar belt, (40130-03 for 97'-03' 139T) it's only $16 higher. And of course replace both pulleys.
Yup, sidecar belt wont fit on my bike.

Kimber

Old 12-12-2010, 10:28 AM
Outlaw

Last Cigar Smoked: Camel WIDES
Sidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backroad Mike View Post
Yup, sidecar belt wont fit on my bike.
I'm not sure, but I beleave the high load sidecar belts are standard on the touring bikes after 2003.

"It's not the dog in the fight, but the fight in the dog." - Michael Vick.
Old 12-12-2010, 11:24 AM
Double-D

huckinfog can happily embrace the suckhuckinfog can happily embrace the suckhuckinfog can happily embrace the suckhuckinfog can happily embrace the suckhuckinfog can happily embrace the suckhuckinfog can happily embrace the suckhuckinfog can happily embrace the suckhuckinfog can happily embrace the suckhuckinfog can happily embrace the suckhuckinfog can happily embrace the suckhuckinfog can happily embrace the suck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidecar Doug View Post
I'm not sure, but I beleave the high load sidecar belts are standard on the touring bikes after 2003.
I think you're right, but I think it happened a bit later, but I'm not sure either.

edit: I was at a new model intro in Rapid City and they had 2 ultras suspended by a belt as an illustration of the new standard belts strength.

Old 12-12-2010, 02:28 PM
Original Delinquent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidecar Doug View Post
Nope. According to Jenni, they were standard UP to 2003. 2004 they went to the 1 1/8" belt. 2003 and older was 1 1/2" and could take the larger belt. I suppose if you had the right spacing and a 1 1/2 rear pulley it might be useable if you remove the belt guard. The front belt pulley is wide enough to support the 1 1/2" belt.

Kimber

Old 12-12-2010, 04:14 PM
Pu Dekcuf Lla

PeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
http://www.zippersperformance.com/ca...=822&prod=2167

Adding the SE clutch with it.......