Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > Engine & Transmission
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Old 02-09-2009, 05:36 PM
Breaker of Stuff

Last Cigar Smoked: 601 La Bomba
Bone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
I'm pulling the trigger....

So after my ride(s) both this and last Sunday, I'm not happy with how the beast is running. I'm used to the decel popping, but now it's running hotter and hotter, and it's starting to miss at cruising speeds. After much deliberation, a long talk with Mike (MBKodiak) and Dave at JD's, I'm taking my bike up for a TTS, a Low Cat (in black, of course), a Doherty a/c, and a dyno tune. While it's there, I'm going to have Dave check the tensioners. Ignorance has been bliss (Harleys have cam chain tensioners? Who knew?). Now that I know they're problematic I'm having nightmares about them disintegrating in my engine.

My hope is that everything's copacetic inside the cam chest, and I'll have an excellent Stage One tune for the next year until I can really afford to do the build I want to do.

Given the way my luck runs.........

At any rate, I'll probably be up in the Bethlehem area in March to get this sucker done.

Make Doof Clenas Fun Again (MDCFA)

Old 02-09-2009, 05:49 PM
Natural born delinquent

RKotter is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withRKotter is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withRKotter is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withRKotter is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withRKotter is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withRKotter is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withRKotter is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withRKotter is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withRKotter is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withRKotter is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withRKotter is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
Sweet...

Dave's good people...I know you'll be a happy camper!

Dave and MBkodiak have been getting alot of inquiries as of late. And I hear from one of them that the other is getting a new clutch...

Does Dana know you're doing this???

~ Royal Order of Knights d'Catnip ~

E PLURIBUS DOOFUM
Old 02-09-2009, 06:57 PM
Double-D

Last Cigar Smoked: comancho
Sonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by '05Train View Post
So after my ride(s) both this and last Sunday, I'm not happy with how the beast is running. I'm used to the decel popping, but now it's running hotter and hotter, and it's starting to miss at cruising speeds. After much deliberation, a long talk with Mike (MBKodiak) and Dave at JD's, I'm taking my bike up for a TTS, a Low Cat (in black, of course), a Doherty a/c, and a dyno tune. While it's there, I'm going to have Dave check the tensioners. Ignorance has been bliss (Harleys have cam chain tensioners? Who knew?). Now that I know they're problematic I'm having nightmares about them disintegrating in my engine.

My hope is that everything's copacetic inside the cam chest, and I'll have an excellent Stage One tune for the next year until I can really afford to do the build I want to do.

Given the way my luck runs.........

At any rate, I'll probably be up in the Bethlehem area in March to get this sucker done.
I started out checking cam tensioners....4000 dollars later just sayin...

Chris
RIP MONGOOSE

2002 RK Police
95 Big Bore Kit, Weisco Flat Top Pistons, 9.13:1
Engine built by Wilsons of E-town,KY
Vance and Hines Ovals
SE Air Cleaner, K&N Filter
2006 HD Stock Heads
Andrews 26G Cams
Dyno'd by ENGINES BY OTTO

851st ARMY SECURITY AGENCY - Europe - 74-77
Old 02-09-2009, 07:06 PM
Breaker of Stuff

Bone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
We've talked about it in broad, vague, general terms. We'll go over the specifics tonight.

On the one hand, I'm hoping that everything's OK. On the other, a 107 would be awfully nice (because you know if the tensioners are shot, the crank runout will be out of whack as well).

Old 02-09-2009, 07:09 PM
Excommunicated

Berserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girl
Quote:
(because you know if the tensioners are shot, the crank runout will be out of whack as well).
I don't know if thats true. If yuo get chunks of pad going through your engine, you will have issues with oil pump and more. But I don't know if its related to runout. But I am no expert, thats for sure. Plus if you need an excuse to tell the wife for your 107, go ahead.
Old 02-09-2009, 07:12 PM
The Other Founder
President for Life
Double-D

Last Cigar Smoked: PDR 1878 Reserva Dominicana Capa Oscura
MegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glasses
When you say 107, you're not thinking RevPerf/Nikasil, I surely hope...

http://sherlynpopelka.net/

Revelation 19:11
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse;
and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True,
and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

*Usual manly disclaimer applies, if applicable.
Old 02-09-2009, 07:12 PM
Buffalo Hump

fxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic View Post
I started out with a oil leak on the base rocker boxes ..... I haven't added it up yet, but I know it's between 2500 and 3K ........... heads are 'expensive', then you throgh all the other 'small' stuff in there

hone the jugs
swap the cam gears
chrome lifter blocks
new carb
new A/C
new push rods
gaskets
a couple of new tools to add to the collection
new ignition system

next thing ya know, ya spent 3 grand .....

I love my Harley

States I've ridden my scoots in:

Old 02-09-2009, 07:14 PM
Breaker of Stuff

'Serker- I realize that the two aren't related, but given the way my luck runs......

Mega- No, definitely not. Dave and I have spoken a little about strokers, and from what I can tell, there's not much difference (dollar-wise) between a 103 and a 107.

Old 02-09-2009, 07:16 PM
The Other Founder
President for Life
Double-D

MegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glasses
Well, hell, 113's are time tested...
Just PM me your CC # and expiration date.
Watch for the BBT.

Old 02-09-2009, 07:17 PM
Double-D

Dsanchez is not in AOL's target demographicDsanchez is not in AOL's target demographicDsanchez is not in AOL's target demographicDsanchez is not in AOL's target demographicDsanchez is not in AOL's target demographicDsanchez is not in AOL's target demographicDsanchez is not in AOL's target demographicDsanchez is not in AOL's target demographicDsanchez is not in AOL's target demographicDsanchez is not in AOL's target demographicDsanchez is not in AOL's target demographic
I'm with Berserker...

Not necessarily related. ****************BUT*********** while ya got the cam cover off...why not switch to the conversion kit (Andrews) and eliminate the need for further checks of the tensioner shoes. And while you're at that...throw in a nice bolt in cam...like a 26.

I have the TTS & a 26 in a '07 bagger...whats not to like. ( a great 2-1 pipe too) I initially installed a TTS calibration and I started the V-tune process today. What a great product...THANKS DOC, STEVE COLE, & MASTERTUNE !!!!

Old 02-09-2009, 07:42 PM
grapenutless

Last Cigar Smoked: none of your danged business
y2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
I can assure you that whatever Dave @ JD does to your bike you are going to be really happy with it, I am still smiling thinking about riding my friends bike on sunday.
who's to blame in 2014?
OH THIS IS SO NOODLES FAULT
Chitty Chitty

Old 02-09-2009, 07:44 PM
The Other Founder
President for Life
Double-D

The laughter isn't dissin' the wrench, just laughing at how a spark plug change ends up deing a 124" monster by the time it's over...

Old 02-09-2009, 07:51 PM
Breaker of Stuff

I've thought about that. I assume that when you say "conversion kit", you're talking about the hydraulic tensioners. I have two issues with that.

- Gear drive provides more accurate cam timing, and has fewer maintenance issues. Granted it'll cost substantially more if my crank is out of spec, but at that point I'll be prepared for it. I don't plan on ever getting rid of this bike, and everything I've read points to the gear drive being the way to go. That said, I'm open to other ideas.

- I don't want to spend an additional grand or so putting in the 26, then a year from now, taking it out and putting in a Woods 6HG or bigger when I do the build. No matter what, the engine's going to be at least a 95.

No, I've considered just doing an Andrews 26 and some headwork, but I know me.....I'm going to want more.

I'm also chuckling at how stuff snowballs. My current project (new wheels, tires, front fender, turn signals & complete dechroming) began by trading an old set of gloves for a pair of black Ness mirrors.

Old 02-09-2009, 08:26 PM
The Other Founder
President for Life
Double-D

If you stroke it, Timkens, of course...

Old 02-09-2009, 08:33 PM
Original Delinquent

Backroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic View Post
You surely are not alone there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKotter View Post
Sweet...

Dave's good people...I know you'll be a happy camper!

Dave and MBkodiak have been getting alot of inquiries as of late. And I hear from one of them that the other is getting a new clutch...
Yeah Tim, I deserved that one since I spilled the beans on your heads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxr4mikey View Post
I started out with a oil leak on the base rocker boxes ..... I haven't added it up yet, but I know it's between 2500 and 3K ........... heads are 'expensive', then you throgh all the other 'small' stuff in there

hone the jugs
swap the cam gears
chrome lifter blocks
new carb
new A/C
new push rods
gaskets
a couple of new tools to add to the collection I do expect my torque wrench back
new ignition system

next thing ya know, ya spent 3 grand .....

I love my Harley
Mikey; Fixed it for ya..

Here's the latest had to do's:

New 10-84 ring gear set up because the old one was showing some serious wear.
New drive belt sprocket, the old one was showing more wear than the ring gear.
Barnet clutch disc's.. Apparently Dave tried to tune the bike today and the stock clutch with VPC 84T won't hold the power anymore.
Front motor mount.

Quote:
I've thought about that. I assume that when you say "conversion kit", you're talking about the hydraulic tensioners. I have two issues with that.

- Gear drive provides more accurate cam timing, and has fewer maintenance issues. Granted it'll cost substantially more if my crank is out of spec, but at that point I'll be prepared for it. I don't plan on ever getting rid of this bike, and everything I've read points to the gear drive being the way to go. That said, I'm open to other ideas.

- I don't want to spend an additional grand or so putting in the 26, then a year from now, taking it out and putting in a Woods 6HG or bigger when I do the build. No matter what, the engine's going to be at least a 95.

No, I've considered just doing an Andrews 26 and some headwork, but I know me.....I'm going to want more.

I'm also chuckling at how stuff snowballs. My current project (new wheels, tires, front fender, turn signals & complete dechroming) began by trading an old set of gloves for a pair of black Ness mirrors.
3 years ago I started my first build from stock. If I would have waited and saved just a little more money, I could have prevented a couple of failed steps and went straight to a 117.

Kimber

Tags
pull my finger