Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > Tins, Body Work, & Paint
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Old 03-03-2007, 02:02 PM
Under Construction

Last Cigar Smoked: Robert Burns Blackwatch, in the '70s
TalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Fork leg powder coating WTH

A new shop, BDB Custom Cycles, opened here in the last few weeks and I finally got a chance to stop in. It is a small place with a few parts, t-shirts, a couple of lifts (several bikes INW), and the usual assortment of catalogs.

There were a number of powder coated pieces on display and I have been thinking about blacking out my forks. So, I pick up an FL leg to examine the job. Looked real good--smooth, no highs or lows and consistent shine. Then I got to the drain screw--it was coated into the leg.

I asked the lady that was shadowing me, I assume the owner's daughter or DIL, "are these the ones you're selling?" Before she could answer, the owner, who looked a lot like Paul Teuttel said, "I never take those out. When I do a front end, I pull the whole thing apart."

Seems like a lot of work to me for an oil change.
Somewhat dilapidated, yet functional, Kubota L2500
'20 Branson 3620
'18 Ram 3500 Diesel
'02 Wrangler X, 4" lift on 33 x 12.50s
Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140
Felt Nine 50
Killin' more bees than Monsanto
Old 03-03-2007, 02:13 PM
GrayRider

Sounds like he'd appreciate my, "Grits" story.
Old 03-03-2007, 02:48 PM
I Like Dirt...!

Last Cigar Smoked: BubbleGum
Xkvator can happily embrace the suckXkvator can happily embrace the suckXkvator can happily embrace the suckXkvator can happily embrace the suckXkvator can happily embrace the suckXkvator can happily embrace the suckXkvator can happily embrace the suckXkvator can happily embrace the suckXkvator can happily embrace the suckXkvator can happily embrace the suckXkvator can happily embrace the suck
I would have put a set screw in place of the drain screw to keep the p.c. out of the threads...JMO

Some Mornings I Wake Up Grouchy.....others, I Let Her Sleep

Old 03-03-2007, 03:18 PM
Under Construction

Last Cigar Smoked: Robert Burns Blackwatch, in the '70s
TalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by xkvator View Post
I would have put a set screw in place of the drain screw to keep the p.c. out of the threads...JMO
He left the screw in and powder coated over it. The only way to get it out now would be to break the powder, or some deft razor blade work.

I just can't see the reasoning behind pulling the whole leg off when it's time for an oil change. I have not had enough fork seals go bad in 20+ years to justify this.
Somewhat dilapidated, yet functional, Kubota L2500
'20 Branson 3620
'18 Ram 3500 Diesel
'02 Wrangler X, 4" lift on 33 x 12.50s
Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140
Felt Nine 50
Killin' more bees than Monsanto
Old 03-03-2007, 06:33 PM
Known Associate

TXCHOP has failed to amuse us

Yeah, just showing off and giving you a taste. For any parts that were powdercoated, it all in the prep. I had mine done at sumax. When i sent out my legs, i, by accident left in the drainscrews and some residual oil. When they came back, I looked at the job they did and it was worth every penny of 400.00 for the 5 pieces. First on the cow bells, they smoothed out all the highs and lows and masked off the bolt holes. The lower fairing cover was perfect, but i sent them a brand new chrome H-D one. Now for the lower legs. They smoothed out all casting lines, ridges, high and low spots. They even masked off the drainscrew. The threads were perfect. The best part they did to them, which i didn't even think of was they masked off the caliper mount bolts, so when mounted they would not chip, peel or skuff. For part like that i use someone that i know is the best. For a couple little parts like exhaust brackets, backrest brackets i use a local powdercater and you can definitelty tell the difference.
Old 03-03-2007, 09:26 PM
Excommunicated

LittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suck
I know the steering neck grease Zert on my "93 Softail frame was power coated over from the factory. Razor blade will cut around the screw and allow it to come out just fine.
Even a local shop can do a good job power coating if you tell them what and where to mask. They use silicon plugs for holes and krylon heat tape for the other areas. It is all in how you specify the job.
Old 03-06-2007, 11:11 PM
pops

nice, my front is blacked out except for the cow bells, when i picked them up from the HD dealer they looked like crap so i bought the chrome flamed one instead, the rest is black, HD shop on ebay was selling NIB harleys for 50-60 bucks a set for lowers till moco put an end to shops selling on ebay, think they were around 400 list, i should have bought 5 sets to resale