Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > Engine & Transmission
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Old 03-10-2009, 07:59 PM
Buffalo Hump

fxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suck
just a couple of 'better' pics of the finished effort

States I've ridden my scoots in:

Old 03-11-2009, 07:00 PM
Buffalo Hump

fxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suck
these plugs have 435 miles on them .....

the plug on the left is from the 'FRONT' cylinder, in each of the pics

what's the bike doing ?

Last edited by fxr4mikey; 03-11-2009 at 07:06 PM.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:37 PM
Pu Dekcuf Lla

PeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
one looks lean, could be the flash but the front looks way lean compared to the back. I think one of the intake flanges is sucking air, you may have a vacuum leak.

By the way, Congrats Mikey! It runs, you did it man! I'm proud of you. Fix the fuel/air thing then lets go ride!

Last edited by PeaceKeeper; 03-11-2009 at 08:49 PM.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:18 PM
Buffalo Hump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacekeeper View Post
one looks lean, could be the flash but the front looks way lean compared to the back. I think one of the intake flanges is sucking air, you may have a vacuum leak.

By the way, Congrats Mikey!
Thanks Dave !!!

It runs, you did it man!
YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

I'm proud of you.
Thanks some more man !

Fix the fuel/air thing then lets go ride!
I can ride it the way it is .... it runs STRONG !!
but I do want to get that fixed up too,
you're on !

Yesterday after a 100 mile ride, I ck'd for air leaks when I got home. I put the bike on idle up to about 1400, then I sprayed WD40 around the intake manifold and heads, and around the front of the intake where the carb mounts .... there was NO CHANGE in the running engine, it never changed RPMS

From that I concluded that there were no air leaks, but I can, and will, test it again ... tomorrow or Friday.... looks like I'll be spending some quality time with Jan tomorrow .... I think I've been neglect in my home attention lately

Overall the bike runs REALLY REALLY GOOD, STRONG .. but I've got this feeling that there's a carb adjustment that I need ..... so I'm looking for that. I don't know how much better it can run than what it's doing right now !! I mean WOW ..... but every once in awhile, say like on today's 200 miler, she would spit back through the breather ... usually after a high/moderate high rpm in 1st or 2nd gear, then back off, coast up to a side street, turn onto the street and start to give it some throttle and she'd spit and hesitate, just when I need/want a little touch of power .... Woody has told me, and I am with him on it, that it's running lean in the mid range ... I'm just hunting for all the evidence that I can find .... LOL

I need to get another jet needle and change it, then see what I got

Old 03-15-2009, 03:07 PM
Buffalo Hump

Just wanted to mention the 'break-in' process that I used .....

I broke mine in hard over the first 40 miles. I warmed her up in the driveway until the rocker boxes were quite warm to the touch ...

then I rode her for 7 miles to get her fully warmed up

Then for the next 30 miles I rode her like this ....
3rd gear (almost ALL the time), 30MPH, HIT IT, wide open throttle up to 70MPH (sometimes only up to 55-65, but mostly to 70)
then shut the throttle down and let the compression slow the bike back down to 30MPH, then HIT IT again, and again
went out about 20 miles, and returned doing the same thing.

As far as I'm concerned, she's all broke in.
I've changed the oil and filter ....

Now I ride her ANY WAY I want to

I just try to pay more attention to making sure that she is fully warmed up before I jump her bones

Old 03-15-2009, 04:02 PM
Not just another pretty face

vafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milk
Quote:
Originally Posted by fxr4mikey View Post
making sure that she is fully warmed up before I jump her bones
Well duh!
Old 03-16-2009, 01:06 AM
Zintaround

pa-glazier can happily embrace the suckpa-glazier can happily embrace the suckpa-glazier can happily embrace the suckpa-glazier can happily embrace the suckpa-glazier can happily embrace the suckpa-glazier can happily embrace the suckpa-glazier can happily embrace the suckpa-glazier can happily embrace the suckpa-glazier can happily embrace the suckpa-glazier can happily embrace the suckpa-glazier can happily embrace the suck
Great job Mikey!

Old 03-16-2009, 04:10 AM
snow pirate

Last Cigar Smoked: No thanks.
stoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Congrats Mikey....great job!

ALL WHO WANDER ARE NOT LOST.

GFFG