Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > Electrical Systems & Diagnostics
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Electrical Systems & Diagnostics Troubleshoot electrical problems here.

Old 12-15-2010, 10:18 PM
Dirty Dirk, Canadian Doof

DAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milk
Compufire Charging Systems

After discovering no more teeth on my stator and when I let my voltage regulator hang, a small lake of water drained out from the output leads.
I'm in search for a new charging system, the stocker is over $900 here and Jenni doesn't have it listed on her site. Does anyone have any experience with Compufire 40amp system, 25amps at idle and 40amps at 2800rpm and the vented stator with the reinforced shims look like a good idea and less than 1/2 price with a voltage regulator included......

Cheers,
Dirk
Old 12-15-2010, 10:31 PM
D.F.F.D.

Last Cigar Smoked: Do not smoke
Nub is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withNub is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withNub is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withNub is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withNub is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withNub is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withNub is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withNub is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withNub is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withNub is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withNub is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
I just put a new compufire stator in my fxr, did not need another rotor, already had the compufire one. I used a cyclelectric regulator. Works like a champ.
Old 12-16-2010, 05:48 AM
Original Delinquent

Backroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milk
I'm sure Jenni could get you the touring stator/rotor much cheaper. I was in a bind and had to pay full price at the dealer and don't think the two were more than 450.00 together. With labor and gaskets my total bill was just under 700.00.

Kimber

Old 12-16-2010, 05:54 AM
Pu Dekcuf Lla

PeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
I did the cycle electric 3 phase 50 amp upgrade. You may want to look into that. I have nothing but good things to say about the system and it has enough juice to powere 3 bikes.
Old 12-16-2010, 08:05 AM
Breaker of Stuff

Last Cigar Smoked: 601 La Bomba
Bone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backroad Mike View Post
I'm sure Jenni could get you the touring stator/rotor much cheaper. I was in a bind and had to pay full price at the dealer and don't think the two were more than 450.00 together. With labor and gaskets my total bill was just under 700.00.
FWIW, the new H-D setup is 50 amps. I don't know whether or not you can retrofit it to an older bike. With 50 amps, you can run 2 sets of heated gear, all the lights, the stereo, and GPS, and the battery still charges.

Make Doof Clenas Fun Again (MDCFA)

Old 12-16-2010, 09:01 AM
Pu Dekcuf Lla

PeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
Quote:
Originally Posted by '05Train View Post
FWIW, the new H-D setup is 50 amps. I don't know whether or not you can retrofit it to an older bike. With 50 amps, you can run 2 sets of heated gear, all the lights, the stereo, and GPS, and the battery still charges.
Yes, you can retrofit. It can be done with HD parts for about 450 then you have to cut the regulator harness and splice in the new connector. The CE kid has a modified connector (no cutting needed) and it is comprised of OEM rotor with a CE regulator, harness and bulletproof stator.

The difference between the OEM system and the CE system is........

The OEM system dumps all excess power to ground with the stator pumping 100% at all times. The CE system cycles the stator output and prevents the waste of energy saving regulator and stator life. The CE kits are really high quality stuff. When you upgrade to 3 phase from the old single phase you have full amps right off of idle, I idle at 14 volts. with the old single phase system I idled at 12.5.

It rocks and I would check with Jennie for the 20%off. I got mine with a 40% off one day Coupon code from Phat Performance.
Old 12-16-2010, 09:23 AM
Breaker of Stuff

Last Cigar Smoked: 601 La Bomba
Bone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacekeeper View Post
Yes, you can retrofit. It can be done with HD parts for about 450 then you have to cut the regulator harness and splice in the new connector.
Good to know.
Quote:
The CE kid has a modified connector (no cutting needed) and it is comprised of OEM rotor with a CE regulator, harness and bulletproof stator.

The OEM system dumps all excess power to ground with the stator pumping 100% at all times. The CE system cycles the stator output and prevents the waste of energy saving regulator and stator life. The CE kits are really high quality stuff. When you upgrade to 3 phase from the old single phase you have full amps right off of idle, I idle at 14 volts. with the old single phase system I idled at 12.5.
That alone makes the CE kit worthwhile.

Make Doof Clenas Fun Again (MDCFA)

Old 12-16-2010, 09:28 AM
Dirty Dirk, Canadian Doof

DAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milk
Quote:
Yes, you can retrofit. It can be done with HD parts for about 450 then you have to cut the regulator harness and splice in the new connector. The CE kid has a modified connector (no cutting needed) and it is comprised of OEM rotor with a CE regulator, harness and bulletproof stator.

It rocks and I would check with Jennie for the 20%off. I got mine with a 40% off one day Coupon code from Phat Performance.
Was wondering how their 3 phase system works, heard nothing but positive things too. At less than 1/2 price pretty much seals the deal....
Jenni deals with aftermarket stuff too? Not just HD?

Cheers,
Dirk
Old 12-16-2010, 10:18 AM
Pu Dekcuf Lla

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAK47 View Post
Was wondering how their 3 phase system works, heard nothing but positive things too. At less than 1/2 price pretty much seals the deal....
Jenni deals with aftermarket stuff too? Not just HD?

Cheers,
Dirk
You will need to go to the CE website and hunt down the COMPLETE KIT part number for your year and model bike then give that to Jennie. List is pretty pricy, about the same as OEM retail, but in my opinion much better. @0% off should help quite a bit.

One down side to the CE kit, if you run a low mount oil cooler you will have to remove it. The regulator is bigger and both will not fit together. I took my cooler off and sold it since I needed amps more than the 10 degrees I picked up in extra cooling. CE systems Rock, I run everything, stereo, 2 - 100 watt piaa spot lights, 80 watt headlight, heated seat, grips, and heated liners and it still pumps 14 volts to the battery.