Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Specific Interest > Remodeling or Building
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Remodeling or Building Got a project going or finished... Got a question...

Old 12-08-2008, 06:52 PM
Buffalo Hump

fxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suck
Structural information needed

I had put this over in George's thread, then realized that I might be trying to hijack his thread, so I started this one

I'm waiting for the structural engineers to show up ....

I have a lolly column in the basement that is under a lvl
I want to take out the column but don't know how big a beam I have to put back in there .....

I was thinking 2 more lvl's ..... put one on either side of the existing one and through bolt them

if anyone is interested I can take measurements and pics and describe how the existing lvl is installed...... of course it is supported in the middle by the lolly column, one end is on a header above a door, the other end is sitting on top of a wall (rough in) with three studs under the point where the end of the lvl sits

States I've ridden my scoots in:

Old 12-08-2008, 06:58 PM
Buffalo Hump

fxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suck
here's some of the specifications of the current beam

it's 21'8" long

it is comprised of 3 2x10's with 1/2" plywood sandwiched between the 2x10's

it has a lolly column in the middle of it

One end sits on the header over the door. The header is comprised of 2 2x10's with a 1/2' plywood sandwiched between them.

The other end of the beam sits on top of a wall (the basement is rough in only) and there are 3 studs directly under that end of the beam.

I want to remove the lolly column .... my question is, how do I add to the beam to provide the required strength to bear the load.

I thought that I could make up two more LVL's and add one to either side of the existing beam.

Anyone know where a person can find out how to calculate the requirements ?

This beam is in the basement, with one story above it. The main floor has a vaulted ceiling (20') and the attic is very tall with a steep pitch on the roof.

I have pics if that helps

Thanks

Old 12-09-2008, 09:24 AM
Double-D

Last Cigar Smoked: Fuentes Fuentes Opus X Le Chateau
J.A.F.O. has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowJ.A.F.O. has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowJ.A.F.O. has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowJ.A.F.O. has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowJ.A.F.O. has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowJ.A.F.O. has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowJ.A.F.O. has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowJ.A.F.O. has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowJ.A.F.O. has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowJ.A.F.O. has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowJ.A.F.O. has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
I got nothing...

Way too much math for me.

Old 12-09-2008, 09:29 AM
gAZINTa - Delinquent

dzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Old 12-09-2008, 09:37 AM
Pu Dekcuf Lla

PeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
Well, first off...

Your retired, why do you care?

Second, just cut it and see what happens? Probably dont need it there anyway...
Old 12-09-2008, 01:10 PM
Double-D

J.A.F.O. has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowJ.A.F.O. has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowJ.A.F.O. has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowJ.A.F.O. has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowJ.A.F.O. has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowJ.A.F.O. has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowJ.A.F.O. has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowJ.A.F.O. has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowJ.A.F.O. has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowJ.A.F.O. has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowJ.A.F.O. has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacekeeper View Post
Well, first off...

Your retired, why do you care?

Second, just cut it and see what happens? Probably dont need it there anyway...
This is not going anywhere good...

Old 12-09-2008, 02:38 PM
grapenutless

Last Cigar Smoked: none of your danged business
y2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
it's got a lollipop.
who's to blame in 2014?
OH THIS IS SO NOODLES FAULT
Chitty Chitty

Old 12-09-2008, 04:53 PM
Double-D

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kflhr View Post
it's got a lollipop.

Oyyy

Old 12-09-2008, 05:10 PM
grapenutless

Last Cigar Smoked: none of your danged business
y2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
a yellow or a blue one?
who's to blame in 2014?
OH THIS IS SO NOODLES FAULT
Chitty Chitty

Old 12-09-2008, 08:19 PM
Not just another pretty face

vafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milk
I'm not an engineer, so I don't have the smarts to get you the calculations. However, this type of span with nominal lumber sizes is usually done as a clinch beam. Steel plates sandwiched between the lumber instead of the plywood. Take a look to see if one of the members of the existing girder isn't broken over the column It'll be the one in the middle that you can't see.
Old 12-09-2008, 09:30 PM
gAZINTa-Delinquent

Thorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sock
How about using this -

http://www.engineersedge.com/beam_be...flection_1.htm

Thorns

"The right of the people to keep and bear arms." "Gimme back, gimme back my bullets"

Old 12-09-2008, 09:39 PM
Double-D

Scabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suck
Hey Warren, slap me upside the head if I'm missing something here but I'm thinking if you remove the lally column which is not only keeping the beam from bowing but supporting a percentage of the vertical download, you will have to shore up the end supports as well as the beam itself.

"Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter."...Satchel Paige

"Mother Nature may dictate I grow older but there ain't nothin' nor nobody can make me grow up." ..Me

Old 12-09-2008, 09:47 PM
Buffalo Hump

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.A.F.O. View Post
I got nothing...

Way too much math for me.
LOL me tooooooooo

I was gettin lost in the Live load, the dead load, the snow load, the roof pitch ... the living room ....... it was OMG

who the frick can do this math ??????????????

Old 12-09-2008, 09:48 PM
Buffalo Hump

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzlfitr View Post
I'm doubling dat !!!