Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > Engine & Transmission
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Old 05-04-2008, 02:57 PM
GrayRider

Great job, buddy. I'm proud of ya.
Old 05-04-2008, 03:18 PM
gAZINTa-Delinquent

Thorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sock
Mike you done good. Now if Christine...err, I mean Rhino decides to puke...it's only more money, because you have the experience.

Thorns

"The right of the people to keep and bear arms." "Gimme back, gimme back my bullets"

Old 05-04-2008, 04:24 PM
The Molenator

CDouthitt looks handsome even in Groucho glassesCDouthitt looks handsome even in Groucho glassesCDouthitt looks handsome even in Groucho glassesCDouthitt looks handsome even in Groucho glassesCDouthitt looks handsome even in Groucho glassesCDouthitt looks handsome even in Groucho glassesCDouthitt looks handsome even in Groucho glassesCDouthitt looks handsome even in Groucho glassesCDouthitt looks handsome even in Groucho glassesCDouthitt looks handsome even in Groucho glassesCDouthitt looks handsome even in Groucho glasses
I skimmed...what'd you do?

Just kiddin'...great job.

Clint
Bikeless

I'm a Doof, and Damn Proud of it!

Old 05-04-2008, 11:40 PM
Excommunicated

Berserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girl
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8-Ball View Post
Filled it with 10-40 valvoline car oil... and ran it hard accel... hard decel for 22 miles... Don't have a tach, but ran it up to 70-80 mph in third I think... anyway, right up to the point where there is no more power, then hard decel... did it 11 miles out and 11 miles back...
This is a fiercly debated topic. How to break a motor in. I kept it under 60 unde 50 for 1st 50 miles. same thing when I broke my sled engine in this year. Like I said this is fiercly debated. maybe doesn't matter. But its things like this, that make it tough to judge builds. There are so many variables.

I am of the belief, nothing mechanically is benifited by abuse. But others think this seats the rings.
Old 05-04-2008, 11:45 PM
Excommunicated

Berserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girl
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8-Ball View Post
I feel that if something happened on the road, I'll be more able to deal with it...

Added some more tools to my standard compliment of saddlebag stuff...

If I did this again, I would get a gear puller for the outer cam gear... and 1/4" drive inch and foot pound wrench...
This is what I have been telling peple for along time. You don't want to try and learn your bike, on the side of the road.

Two jaw puller to get the outer cam gears off. That and harmonic puller, are handy to have IMO. As far as cheap tools.

Gonna have to add 1/4 drive tq wrench to my tool box. What make though? I haven't seen a craftsman one, but maybe need to look further. Not saying Craftsman is the best, just what I got.
Old 05-05-2008, 12:38 AM
8-Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berserker View Post
This is a fiercly debated topic. How to break a motor in. I kept it under 60 unde 50 for 1st 50 miles. same thing when I broke my sled engine in this year. Like I said this is fiercly debated. maybe doesn't matter. But its things like this, that make it tough to judge builds. There are so many variables.

I am of the belief, nothing mechanically is benifited by abuse. But others think this seats the rings.
http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

I've tried the easy break-in methods... you know where that got me...
Old 05-05-2008, 01:07 AM
8-Ball

Added comments to the photos in post #336...
Old 05-05-2008, 01:10 AM
8-Ball

It just looks like a hard plastic 0-ring... and it fits on the shoulder of the engine temperature sensor... It is a little thicker than the shoulder, so it would hold the face of the shoulder off of the milled surface of the header where it mounts by about 1/16"...

The manual didn't show it or mention it...

Anyone have a parts book... does it show it in there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXCHOP View Post
Nice job Mike!!!!

Feels good don't it.

Congrats!!!!!

Take a pic of the leftover part?
Old 05-05-2008, 05:57 AM
Original Delinquent

Backroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milk
Congrats Mike. Glad your back on the road.

Kimber

Old 05-05-2008, 06:15 AM
BigAlsRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyjsb View Post
I would like a copy of that diet plan also..............
Yep....me too!
Old 05-05-2008, 12:53 PM
Excommunicated

LittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suck
I love it when a plan comes together!!!!
Old 05-05-2008, 01:00 PM
Executive Vice President
D.F.F.D

Last Cigar Smoked: Romeo y Julieta Churchill
BillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Congrats Mike, looks like a job well done!

Old 05-05-2008, 01:37 PM
Public Doofender

Highmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milk
Quote:

I used this method to break in every vehicle I've ever owned. When I was a kid, and putting together my first car, (it didn't run when I bought it, and I rebuilt the whole thing) I was told by the best mechanic in our town, to break it in the way you intend to drive it. It was a hot rod of sorts. That was the accepted philosophy of the time. I've never had a problem, including using oil, with any of my vehicles. Just as an aside, I drove a '64 Buick for 260,000 miles, a '72 Toyota Hilux for 320,000 miles, and an '84 H onda for 172,000 miles, before trading/selling them. When I was truly poor, I kept vehicles for a looooooong time to get my money's worth out of them. I truly buy into the philosophy of seating the rings being important, and it has worked out well for me. I really don't consider it abuse. I feel it would only be abuse if I did it on a cold engine, or went over the redline, or reved it up and dumped the clutch, none of which I do during break in.

Did you know I liked Bobbers?

Old 05-05-2008, 09:55 PM
Excommunicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highmiles View Post
I I was told by the best mechanic in our town, to break it in the way you intend to drive it..
I just laugh at this one. IMO this method is best used for garage monkeys. Whats the reason? Just sounds cool is all. I had a friend illeterae but could turn a wrench. Also liked to blow engine. Even 8 plug is good, lets go hotter until we burn a hole inthe piston kinda guy. Could wrench, but didn't understand anything.

Now some people say, it seats the rings quicker. That is a theory, and atleast has some kind of basis. Other then a cool slogan.

I do think it may be true about seating rings. But I still stand by my beleif, that nothing mechanical, runs better when abused. Now if someone wans to discuss how engine does better at higher rpms, I am open to discuss it. Lets leave out ride it like you stole it, too.
Old 05-05-2008, 10:03 PM
Public Doofender

Highmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milk
Quote:
I just laugh at this one. IMO this method is best used for garage monkeys. Whats the reason? Just sounds cool is all. I had a friend illeterae but could turn a wrench. Also liked to blow engine. Even 8 plug is good, lets go hotter until we burn a hole inthe piston kinda guy. Could wrench, but didn't understand anything.

Now some people say, it seats the rings quicker. That is a theory, and atleast has some kind of basis. Other then a cool slogan.

I do think it may be true about seating rings. But I still stand by my beleif, that nothing mechanical, runs better when abused. Now if someone wans to discuss how engine does better at higher rpms, I am open to discuss it. Lets leave out ride it like you stole it, too.
Please define abuse. Are you saying taking an engine up into an area it was designed for is abuse? I don't understand that.

Without combustion pressure behind the ring, to force it against the crosshatching in the cylinder, it will never seat well. Ring tension is definitely too weak to ever seat or seal a ring. Did you go to the link mentioned?

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

It's not a matter of seating the rings more quickly, it's a matter of them ever seating.

As to the "garage monkeys", this was back in the early sixties, and it was general practice back then. It wasn't considered "cool" then, it was considered smart. I certainly believe in it based on personal experience. If you check the link, you might also get the opinion of another "garage monkey" that has even more personal experience. Be sure and check out the pictures also.

Did you know I liked Bobbers?

Last edited by Highmiles; 05-05-2008 at 10:11 PM.