Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > EFI - Electronic Fuel Injection
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Old 04-01-2008, 08:49 AM
gAZINTa-Delinquent

Big MAK is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withBig MAK is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withBig MAK is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withBig MAK is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withBig MAK is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withBig MAK is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withBig MAK is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withBig MAK is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withBig MAK is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withBig MAK is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withBig MAK is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
Those tanks are baffled so you don't get rapid weight shift. I'd mount it on a bracket over the 2nd seat -- the weight and balance would be considerably easier then riding 2up. The tank would be within the dimensions of the bike (not sticking out like saddlebags) so that's not a problem. Putting it in the tour pack doesn't make any sense to me either.

Gravity feed seems to be what most folks go with by putting a "T" in the return line to refill the main tank when it gets low. Some people report for it to work well with the higher pressure EFI fuel system you have to put a pump on it. I think they probably used a "T" where the returning fuel tended to push against the gravity feed. A "Y" is probably more appropriate where the returning fuel pressure would help the feed by being a draw instead of a pressure to work against (think of the bottom of the "Y" as the point feeding the main tank).

Really my main concern is introducing air.. but I was originally thinking of the install as a switch-over to fuel via main then switch to aux. But I guess if it was on the refill side that wouldn't be a problem.

edit: I see the quote on welding a feed directly into the main tank. Seems to support my theory -- the returning fuel is pressurized enough with an EFI system that the gravity feed won't feed. Hmm... I wonder how much it'd cost to get the tank worked on...

Last edited by Big MAK; 04-01-2008 at 08:59 AM.
Old 04-01-2008, 09:23 AM
Double-D
Self Proclaimed Pariah

Dirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidecar Doug View Post
I'm not an Iron-butt rider either. But with only 5 gallons of fuel, and the extra weight of the sidecar, I need to stop to fuel up too often.
With a sidecar you should be able to find a decent place to mount one I'd think.

You have a sidecar...is that why you go by Sidecar Doug?

'08 Ultra
S&S SPO's
Old 04-01-2008, 07:27 PM
Excommunicated

LittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidecar Doug View Post
I'm not an Iron-butt rider either. But with only 5 gallons of fuel, and the extra weight of the sidecar, I need to stop to fuel up too often.
Doug,
My brother ran with a Motivation Engineering Sidecar for years. It had a 12 gallon fuel tank on board with an electric fuel pump. The tank was a factory option. He plumbed it into the gas feed line with a quick disconnect and would just refill his tank as needed. He did not feed the bike fuel from the sidecar. With the electric fuel pump, the quick disconnect and an on/off switch, he was a rolling gas station for other bikes a few times
Old 04-01-2008, 07:37 PM
RAM 2500 Cummins 4X4

Last Cigar Smoked: Man O' War Ruination
SafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Rider View Post
I'd rather carry whiskey in it...
THAT sounds like a good idear...

From my Brother Don... I love his insight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWolf View Post
Postwhores are a dime a dozen.
What's impressive about you is that you are your own pimp.
Kudos!

Old 04-01-2008, 07:59 PM
8-Ball

I've thought about getting a couple one liter fuel bottles for long trips....

Would give you about a 40 mile cushion....
Old 04-01-2008, 08:19 PM
Under Construction

Last Cigar Smoked: Robert Burns Blackwatch, in the '70s
TalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
I wouldn't mind having a bigger tank that still looks like it is supposed to be on a bagger, but I have not seen one and an 08 tank, so I am told, won't fit.
Somewhat dilapidated, yet functional, Kubota L2500
'20 Branson 3620
'18 Ram 3500 Diesel
'02 Wrangler X, 4" lift on 33 x 12.50s
Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140
Felt Nine 50
Killin' more bees than Monsanto
Old 04-01-2008, 09:19 PM
Excommunicated

LittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suck
Well, I like to step off every hour or so and stretch my legs. That is usually half way between gas stops anyway. A larger tank does give more of a cushion when out in the middle of nowhere. One reason I upped my Heritage tank from 4.2 gallons to 5 gal. is because of the worry factor, not to have more range. I have come close to running both of my bikes out of gas before. 5 gallons has been just enough too many times.

Problem I would have with a larger tank, I would push my luck even more and stretch out 6 gallons as far as it would go too.

Kind of like income, you spend what you got.
Old 04-01-2008, 09:21 PM
Outlaw

Last Cigar Smoked: Camel WIDES
Sidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBear View Post
Doug,
My brother ran with a Motivation Engineering Sidecar for years. It had a 12 gallon fuel tank on board with an electric fuel pump. The tank was a factory option. He plumbed it into the gas feed line with a quick disconnect and would just refill his tank as needed. He did not feed the bike fuel from the sidecar. With the electric fuel pump, the quick disconnect and an on/off switch, he was a rolling gas station for other bikes a few times
I've carried a 2 gallon fuel can in the sidecar for longer trips, just so I don't get stuck in the middle of no were. It would be nice to have a set-up like that.

"It's not the dog in the fight, but the fight in the dog." - Michael Vick.
Old 04-01-2008, 09:59 PM
not Lady G, but....

route66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8-Ball View Post

Being that a liter is a little more than a quart, and there is 4 quarts to the gallon, I would think that a couple of bottles would be a couple short.

"The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws." (Tacitus, Roman historian 55-117 A.D.)

Original 43%er

CAT HERDER GORGE CROSSER SKYLINE

My buddy!
Old 04-01-2008, 10:11 PM
Pu Dekcuf Lla

PeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
Quote:
I've thought about getting a couple one liter fuel bottles for long trips....Would give you about a 40 mile cushion....
Thats the ticket, works great for me. I havent found anyplace in the states yet that the distance between pumps is farther than my range, but there may be someplace so that is what I carry just in case.
Old 04-01-2008, 10:19 PM
Outlaw

Last Cigar Smoked: Camel WIDES
Sidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacekeeper View Post
Thats the ticket, works great for me. I havent found anyplace in the states yet that the distance between pumps is farther than my range, but there may be someplace so that is what I carry just in case.
I've coasted into a gas station before. I'd still like to carry alittle extra incase that station got closed down, and I'd have to ride to the next town for gas.

"It's not the dog in the fight, but the fight in the dog." - Michael Vick.
Old 04-02-2008, 05:58 AM
El Errante

thrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milk
Quote:

My friend that went on the 2006 trip from Texas to Canada and back with us used two of these on my suggestion. His bike (H0nda Valkerie) got really poor gas mileage in a headwind, and he ended up needing them. We rode in some pretty remote places at times.