Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > Headers & Exhaust
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Old 04-11-2011, 12:08 AM
Double-D
Formidable Faux

MrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Baffling Experiment

My follow-on to the FatCat operation. At least, that's where I'm gonna lay the blame.

I have recently-installed Hooker Rebel "long straight" pipes on the Road King.

I like the tone of these but the volume is a bit (OK,a Lot) too much.

The baffles in these are a joke, IMHO. In fact, removing them made almost no difference! These are simple 2-1/2" diameter drag pipes. No 'muffler' really, just straight pipe.
Following the FatCat thread got me thinking so I tried several minor mods to the stock baffles but they are not much to work with.
There wasn't any room around them to add packing so I set out to make my own.

I had some perforated metal at the shop so I used that.

but the holes are really really small.

I don't even know if that's good or bad for this purpose.

Next, I made some rings of aluminum to provide the spacing. I wanted to create sufficient room around the thing so that I can pack it with whatever seems worth trying.

Since the pipes are 2-1/2, that meant I had to give up some internal diameter. I debated what size to use, but the first big drill bit I found (literally) was 1-7/16" so that was the magic number.
Did I mention that I do have some cool toys to play with?

A buncha time later and way too much sanding/grinding/drilling/cussing (did I mention that I broke the grinder?) and they take shape.

since the pipes are very long and straight I decided to go ahead and make the baffles twice as long as the stock piece.

After all this I wrapped them with household fiberglass insulation as a trial.

The result at this stage is huge! The pipes are substantially more civilized in their volume now. They're still way louder than stock, no doubt. The tone is not as deep and that's a shame. I'm gonna try other stuff in there, now that I have sort of a "test tube" to work with.
I want to next buy some actual baffle wrap as Russ did and try that out.
I will need to try them without the wrap as well. I might like that better, who knows?
A big question is whether I've created excessive restriction in the pipes now. I don't know, but you can still drop a D-cell through 'em.

Tell me whatcha think

Ricky
it's only metal, we can out think it.....

Simplicate, never Complify
http://www.FraZzledEgGs.com

Rhetorical Questions....
Who Needs 'em?

Famous Tripod
Old 04-11-2011, 12:15 AM
RAM 2500 Cummins 4X4

Last Cigar Smoked: Man O' War Ruination
SafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Ricky, I like your work!!

Try some regular baffle material, and let us know!!!

From my Brother Don... I love his insight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWolf View Post
Postwhores are a dime a dozen.
What's impressive about you is that you are your own pimp.
Kudos!

Old 04-11-2011, 04:35 AM
Breaker of Stuff

Last Cigar Smoked: 601 La Bomba
Bone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Very interesting, and I'm insanely jealous of your shop.

Make Doof Clenas Fun Again (MDCFA)

Old 04-11-2011, 05:27 AM
Original Delinquent

Backroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milk
That's a lot of work Ricky..

You shouldn't show Russ those tools, might give him too many ideas.

Kimber

Old 04-11-2011, 05:51 AM
Not just another pretty face

vafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milk
Quote:
Originally Posted by '05Train View Post
Very interesting, and I'm insanely jealous of your shop.
Tru Dat!

I would also try shorter lengths. Might be why the tone is not as deep.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:59 AM
along came Blondie......

BigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sock
Baffle material with bigger holes might change the tone as well

2009 Vivid Black Street Glide Ultra

RIP Diver, Bashful, Smitty, Clank, Johnny B, Fire46, Red Rider and Mongoose, GBNF

"It is foolish to mourn the men that died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived" -General George S. Patton, Jr.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:19 AM
Double-D

Last Cigar Smoked: comancho
Sonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
interesting read...there is one thing about this place is the amount of talent and knowledge around here. Sometimes I feel like a 41 when it comes to this stuff..

Chris
RIP MONGOOSE

2002 RK Police
95 Big Bore Kit, Weisco Flat Top Pistons, 9.13:1
Engine built by Wilsons of E-town,KY
Vance and Hines Ovals
SE Air Cleaner, K&N Filter
2006 HD Stock Heads
Andrews 26G Cams
Dyno'd by ENGINES BY OTTO

851st ARMY SECURITY AGENCY - Europe - 74-77
Old 04-21-2011, 10:49 PM
Double-D
Formidable Faux

MrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
The latest: The 20" long version works well, in fact, a bit too well in that the pipes seem far too quiet at highway speeds. Around the neighborhood they're louder than stock but I'm looking for a bit more. In search of that happy median, I pulled 'em and cut them down to 11". the result is VERY satisfying. A deeper tone than the long version; definitely louder; still way better than the previous drag pipe version. I'll leave it like this for the Junction trip but I have some more ideas to try later. Right now they are very close to sounding the way I want them to. They have a nice fairly deep tone that's pretty similar to the class-packed Samson slip-ons. Y'all can hear 'em Junction and see what you think. Hell...I just might pull em out so you can hear what all the whining was for.

Ricky

Rhetorical Questions....
Who Needs 'em?

Famous Tripod
Old 04-21-2011, 11:00 PM
not Lady G, but....

route66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
Steel wool (instead of fiberglass) might change it a little

"The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws." (Tacitus, Roman historian 55-117 A.D.)

Original 43%er

CAT HERDER GORGE CROSSER SKYLINE

My buddy!
Old 04-22-2011, 01:53 AM
Double-D
Dr. of Doof

OKC Fatboy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowOKC Fatboy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowOKC Fatboy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowOKC Fatboy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowOKC Fatboy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowOKC Fatboy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowOKC Fatboy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowOKC Fatboy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowOKC Fatboy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowOKC Fatboy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowOKC Fatboy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Have you ever thought of making suppressors for firearms?

Just thinking out loud...

Bob

D.F.F.D.

/Users/rleonard12/Desktop/star-trek-expendability.jpg
Old 04-22-2011, 06:16 AM
Double-D
Formidable Faux

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKC Fatboy View Post
Have you ever thought of making suppressors for firearms?

Just thinking out loud...

Bob

Why, yes.

Yes I have.

Ricky

Rhetorical Questions....
Who Needs 'em?

Famous Tripod
Old 04-22-2011, 02:03 PM
Double-D, MLA III, CLS

BluesFan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBluesFan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBluesFan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBluesFan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBluesFan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBluesFan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBluesFan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBluesFan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBluesFan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBluesFan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBluesFan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Stop now. I hear the fines are awe inspiring.

Oil, heat, vibration and noise.

At work, oil analysis, thermography, vibration analysis, and ultrasonics.

At play, Harley.

Same same, right?

Only 43 more states to go!

Remember, never make a straight on a left hand bridge.

It WILL leave a mark.

Old 04-22-2011, 03:12 PM
Trash

Last Cigar Smoked: The one in the ash tray
noodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glasses
Repost the pictutes.. i didnt get a good look the 1st time~

®
Old 04-22-2011, 06:51 PM
Site Sponsor
Doof Member

JDsCycleWorks is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withJDsCycleWorks is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withJDsCycleWorks is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withJDsCycleWorks is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withJDsCycleWorks is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withJDsCycleWorks is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withJDsCycleWorks is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withJDsCycleWorks is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withJDsCycleWorks is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withJDsCycleWorks is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withJDsCycleWorks is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
Very nice. i could have a lot of fun with that stuff.

Route 412, Bethlehem. 412 = (4, 1+2=3) = 43
Old 05-03-2011, 03:05 PM
Double-D
Formidable Faux

Update:
After the Junction trip I have some thoughts, plans and some feedback.
First: I gotta change something!
Two: I Really don't like the present sound.
41: the community agrees.
42: Life, the Universe and Everything.
6a: the pipes are way too high-pitched
IIV: they have been known to induce headaches

43: Most importantly

and this is the result of scientific data-gathering...

These pipes sound like ass.

Thank you.

more work to be done

Ricky

Rhetorical Questions....
Who Needs 'em?

Famous Tripod