Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > General Maintenance & Service
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

General Maintenance & Service Doing it yourself or having it done...

View Poll Results: Can I use Loctite on a battery bolt?
Yes 6 35.29%
No 8 47.06%
Red 5 29.41%
Blue 4 23.53%
I get a charge out of Gray 47 100.00%
Sawzall and welder will work 3 17.65%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-07-2008, 06:45 AM
Swiss Guard

phreak can happily embrace the suckphreak can happily embrace the suckphreak can happily embrace the suckphreak can happily embrace the suckphreak can happily embrace the suckphreak can happily embrace the suckphreak can happily embrace the suckphreak can happily embrace the suckphreak can happily embrace the suckphreak can happily embrace the suckphreak can happily embrace the suck
I've got a screw loose

The battery bolt holding the negative connection & the ground phor my TFI keeps backing out. When that happens the symptoms are the bike hesitating while underway, or when I start it, the starter clicks, then the whole system resets.

My question; Can I use Loctite on the bolt? Should I use red or blue?
Old 05-07-2008, 06:51 AM
RAM 2500 Cummins 4X4

Last Cigar Smoked: Man O' War Ruination
SafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Gray is handsome.

Did you try a lock washer or a star washer?

(I don't know if you can or can not use Locktite)
From my Brother Don... I love his insight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWolf View Post
Postwhores are a dime a dozen.
What's impressive about you is that you are your own pimp.
Kudos!

Old 05-07-2008, 06:52 AM
snow pirate

Last Cigar Smoked: No thanks.
stoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
I have red loctite on mine - no problems so far, and I've been using it for 5 years.

ALL WHO WANDER ARE NOT LOST.

GFFG
Old 05-07-2008, 07:10 AM
El Errante

thrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milk
Quote:
Originally Posted by phreak View Post
The battery bolt holding the negative connection & the ground phor my TFI keeps backing out. When that happens the symptoms are the bike hesitating while underway, or when I start it, the starter clicks, then the whole system resets.

My question; Can I use Loctite on the bolt? Should I use red or blue?
Be more specific. The battery bolt as in the bolt going into the lead terminal of the battery or the bolt attaching the ground cable to the frame???

I would NOT put loctite on any bolt going into lead. I have used blue loctite on bolts going into aluminum, and of course steel (red or blue) with no issues.

Old 05-07-2008, 07:11 AM
Clubhouse Electrician

Q-Dog has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowQ-Dog has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowQ-Dog has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowQ-Dog has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowQ-Dog has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowQ-Dog has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowQ-Dog has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowQ-Dog has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowQ-Dog has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowQ-Dog has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowQ-Dog has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
B.F.H.
Old 05-07-2008, 07:23 AM
Swiss Guard

phreak can happily embrace the suckphreak can happily embrace the suckphreak can happily embrace the suckphreak can happily embrace the suckphreak can happily embrace the suckphreak can happily embrace the suckphreak can happily embrace the suckphreak can happily embrace the suckphreak can happily embrace the suckphreak can happily embrace the suckphreak can happily embrace the suck
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrasher View Post
Be more specific. The battery bolt as in the bolt going into the lead terminal of the battery or the bolt attaching the ground cable to the frame???

I would NOT put loctite on any bolt going into lead. I have used blue loctite on bolts going into aluminum, and of course steel (red or blue) with no issues.
the one that actually goes into the battery.
Old 05-07-2008, 07:41 AM
El Errante

thrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milk
Quote:
Originally Posted by phreak View Post
the one that actually goes into the battery.
I would try a star lockwasher like SafetyMan suggested and torque to spec.

The downside of using loctite on a battery bolt going into the lead terminal is that if you ever want to (or have to) disconnect the battery, it'll probably destroy the threads in the lead terminal. Then you won't be able to reconnect it without using an oversized bolt.

Of course if the battery is old, will be replaced soon, and you don't care about destroying the terminal's threads if you have to back the bolt out,... just use the red loctite!

Old 05-07-2008, 07:45 AM
Public Doofender

Highmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milk
As has been stated, do it correctly and use a star washer.

Did you know I liked Bobbers?

Old 05-07-2008, 07:46 AM
GrayRider

Whatever you decide to do...don't touch your tongue to it.
Old 05-07-2008, 08:24 AM
Doof Clenas Member

Type O is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withType O is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withType O is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withType O is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withType O is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withType O is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withType O is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withType O is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withType O is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withType O is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withType O is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
if you don't touch your tong to it how do you know its charged

Russ

doofs at the beach

Old 05-07-2008, 08:35 AM
2005 HD FLHTi

Kfengler is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withKfengler is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withKfengler is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withKfengler is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withKfengler is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withKfengler is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withKfengler is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withKfengler is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withKfengler is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withKfengler is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withKfengler is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
Thumbs up

I would go with a Star Washer, but if I had to use Loctite it would be the removable type...

Threadlocker 222MS - Low Strength meets MIL SPEC
A low strength product that is perfect for small fasteners up to 1/4" diameter (6 mm), long engagement length fasteners, and components requiring occasional adjustment.
Applications: Set screws, adjustment screws, calibration screws, meters, gauges.

~"IF YOU CAN'T IMPROVE ON SILENCE, KEEP QUIET" ...couch Lou~

"Getting There Beats Being There"
FLHTi
* 95" by Carl from Boise Cycle
CHECK OUT MY WEBSHOT ALBUMS...

Last edited by Kfengler; 05-07-2008 at 08:48 AM.
Old 05-07-2008, 08:39 AM
Outlaw

Last Cigar Smoked: Camel WIDES
Sidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by HARLET View Post
if you don't touch your tong to it how do you know its charged
Phreak's issue is with the negative terminal. You won't get an accurate reading doing that. Try the positive terminal text time.

"It's not the dog in the fight, but the fight in the dog." - Michael Vick.
Old 05-07-2008, 08:43 AM
Swiss Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidecar Doug View Post
Phreak's issue is with the negative terminal. You won't get an accurate reading doing that. Try the positive terminal text time.
phreak has lot's of issues..... like refering to himself in the third person.

I think I'll go with a star washer.
Thanx guys
Old 05-07-2008, 08:50 AM
gAZINTa - Delinquent

dzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Put a nut on it and be done.
Old 05-07-2008, 09:15 AM
Obsolete Doof Prospect

ridingjerry is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withridingjerry is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withridingjerry is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withridingjerry is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withridingjerry is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withridingjerry is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withridingjerry is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withridingjerry is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withridingjerry is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withridingjerry is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withridingjerry is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
The dumb new batteries don't have the bolt and nut type terminals.
They have a threaded terminal. (bummer)

Do you need to use a longer bolt?
I agree with the star washer fix.

But to be sure that you have proper charge, you must do the tongue test.

Introducing the Al Gore engine

Obsolete Doof
1998 Obsolete Springer Rider
Part time Shovel Rider
Some time XLCH Kicker