Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > Handlebars, Grips, Cables...
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Old 12-09-2008, 05:38 PM
Doof Clenas Member

IRONMAN can happily embrace the suckIRONMAN can happily embrace the suckIRONMAN can happily embrace the suckIRONMAN can happily embrace the suckIRONMAN can happily embrace the suckIRONMAN can happily embrace the suckIRONMAN can happily embrace the suckIRONMAN can happily embrace the suckIRONMAN can happily embrace the suckIRONMAN can happily embrace the suckIRONMAN can happily embrace the suck
Thanks Zerk. I got the new gasket and a couple torcas at lunch. Still can't figure out why the clutch lever doesn't give at all. Gonna play with it after work.
Old 12-09-2008, 06:34 PM
Excommunicated

Berserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girl
Keep readjsuting it. Also tap lightey on the rod with a rubber mallet, Harris told me this once. Clutch are just weird. You adjsut same as always, they don't work, adjust again they do.

I would do that a couple times. Though if doesn't move, that can means your balls are loose.
Old 12-09-2008, 06:35 PM
Excommunicated

Berserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girl
I would use the torca and save the new ones, for when you need them. JMO.

I also use a tq wrench on the clamps, 65lbs I think. Which is a bit.
Old 12-09-2008, 09:54 PM
Doof Clenas Member

IRONMAN can happily embrace the suckIRONMAN can happily embrace the suckIRONMAN can happily embrace the suckIRONMAN can happily embrace the suckIRONMAN can happily embrace the suckIRONMAN can happily embrace the suckIRONMAN can happily embrace the suckIRONMAN can happily embrace the suckIRONMAN can happily embrace the suckIRONMAN can happily embrace the suckIRONMAN can happily embrace the suck
I give up! I've drained the trans, remove the clutch release cover, taken out and put back in the bearings and stuff, adjusted on the primary side, and the cable as instructed....FIVE TIMES! STILL NOTHING AT THE LEVER!
Old 12-09-2008, 10:32 PM
Excommunicated

I am all out of words of wisdom. I will go to the spirit wrold tonight, for guidance.
Old 12-09-2008, 11:33 PM
Doof Clenas Member

When I first started the clutch mechanism would spin. Now it won't. I think I put it in gear in my frustration. Would that make a difference? If so, how do I get it back into neutral?
Old 12-10-2008, 07:15 AM
Excommunicated

I would get the thing back in neutral, rock the bike, push it a little.

What do you mean the clutch mechanism would spin? On the clutch side it should come in and out. the balls should turn, and come outward hitting the rod.

I had a clutch cable that was kicking my ass last year. Would not adjust, always to much length. Finallally I set it up withthe balls on the floor and kept screwing with it until it worked. Why it didn't work the 1st 10 times I dunno. Be carefull not to drive the adjsuter in to far, that will throw the balls out and supposedly can crack or screw something up on the trap door side.
Old 12-10-2008, 07:28 AM
The Other Founder
President for Life
Double-D

Last Cigar Smoked: PDR 1878 Reserva Dominicana Capa Oscura
MegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glasses
Unseated balls?

http://sherlynpopelka.net/

Revelation 19:11
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse;
and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True,
and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

*Usual manly disclaimer applies, if applicable.
Old 12-10-2008, 09:52 AM
Doof Clenas Member

I checked everything out again. The ramp works great when it's off the bike. And it's all where it should be when I take it off. I noticed that regardless of the screw setting (in/out) when I pull the lever there is not movement on the spring on the primary side. Shouldn't that be moving outboard due to the ramp pushing in the push rod towards it????? I'm thinking I should take that wring off the spring and the spring out and reassemble?

I'm at wits end.
Old 12-10-2008, 09:55 AM
The Other Founder
President for Life
Double-D

Last Cigar Smoked: PDR 1878 Reserva Dominicana Capa Oscura
MegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glasses
You gotta figure it's something you did.
Don't take anything apart that you didn't have apart already.
Somebody should be close enough to stop by and help for beer.

http://sherlynpopelka.net/

Revelation 19:11
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse;
and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True,
and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

*Usual manly disclaimer applies, if applicable.
Old 12-10-2008, 10:46 AM
Doof Clenas Member

I hear ya Mega! Anyone near Westlake, Ohio? I got plenty of beer!
Old 12-10-2008, 05:01 PM
Excommunicated

The balls should mo e towards the bike as they rotate, which pushes the rod, which pushes something else on the clutch and it should move a little. Not a lot buit a little.

I agree with Mega, don't take anything apart that you didn't touch.

I'd probably put the clutch release cover back on, maybe no gasket, but rememebr the gasket later. And keep adjsuting.
I don't know if it matters, but I would probably try to get it in neutral.

Tap on the rod, from cluthc side with a rubber mallet.
Old 12-11-2008, 12:45 PM
Doof Clenas Member

I DID IT!!!!

Okay....Thanks to my man HDWRENCH from VTF! Quick phone call and had the solution. He told me he puts a piece of foam between the clutch lever and the grip before putting the release cover back on to ensure the ramps stay in the right position. I did that last night, adjusted the clutch per the manual and ......BINGO!!! HOUSTON...WE HAVE CLUTCH OPERATION..CHECK!

Thanks guys...like you said. Something I was doing. I guess the ramps were getting out of position as I was putting the cover back on the bike.

It's those little victories that just make my week!

Got to give credit where credit is due. I did pray for an someone to speak up and give the right solution. The Lord works in mysterious ways. Thank you Sir!

Old 12-11-2008, 08:05 PM
Excommunicated

Great, I was coming on to say, it has to either be the loose balls or to much tension on cable. Those are the only two things you can really do with the cable.

I actually set mine up with the cable not routed through the bike, and clutch release cover on the floor.
Old 12-12-2008, 10:43 AM
Doof Clenas Member

I'm just thrilled that it's done and working. Now I have 10" apes, hidden wires and Chromite cables!!!! Next:front brake lines! I hope it's less fun than the clutch cable.

I'll post pics when I"m done.

Thanks again 'Serk!