Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Specific Interest > The Cooking Channel
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

The Cooking Channel Got a favorite recipe... share it here.

Old 07-04-2012, 07:07 PM
Somewhat Bionic

Last Cigar Smoked: Hoyo De Monterrey Robusto
Big Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Brisket on a gas grill

Found this on the interweb and tried this today with a small brisket-4 lbs.

Worked pretty good, got a smoke ring and everything. Marinated in the rub overnight.

Cooked at 250-275 for 4.5 hours, used McCormicks store bought rub and the hickory chips. Next time we'll step up on a betterr rub recipe. I cooked it in the pan, not with the pan under the grate to catch the drippings. I also basted every time I checked on it and added chips. (once an hour) I pulled it off the grill and let it rest for 1/2 hour whilst I did taters and corn in a foil pouch.

Not too shabby if all you got is gas. I used my 3 burner Char Broil.

Hickory Smoked BBQ Brisket on a Gas Grill
#772693 - 08/27/05 08:52 AM (69.174.43.63)

Since you can't get a really good BBQ brisket in this town, I had to find a way to BBQ them myself. I don't have an expensive BBQ nor do I have the inclination to get one...yet. So, my mission was to find a way to make good BBQ brisket, with real hickory smoke, on my gas grill. After seveal attempts, I finally found a way to make a juicy, flavorful, tender and HICKORY SMOKED BBQ brisket.

You will need an oven safe thermometer, an instant read meat thermometer, hickory wood chips, aluminum foil, your favorite BBQ rub with no or very very little sugar in it, a Gas grill with enough room in it to allow you to keep the fire on one side and the meat on the other, an aluminum pan to catch the juices (the kind you can buy in grocery stores for making stuffing - about .99 cents), and a good, 2.5 to 4 pound, fresh, beef brisket.

The night before you fire up the grill, rub down the brisket with the rub and put it in the fridge. Start soaking your hickory chips in water. You will need about 3 to 4 handfuls.

When you are ready to start BBQing, fashion a little "pan" or container from aluminum foil and put some of the water soaked hickory chips in it. Put the pan in the front, left corner as close to the fire as you can get it.

The meat will go in the right, rear corner.

Fire up only one burner in your grill. Use the one farthest away from where your brisket will be. You don't want the heat to be directly under your brisket. Put the oven thermometer in the grill on the back corner as far away from the fire as you can. Put the aluminum pan under the grill below where the brisket will be to catch the juices.

Let the temperature on your oven thermometer get to between 275 and 300 degrees. You never want to let the temperature get over 300. In fact 250 to 275 is ideal, but I have never had a bad experience when it reached 300.

When your grill is up to temp, put the brisket on the grill fat side up. Don't trim your brisket before rubbing it down. Keep the fat on it. This is what will baste it while it cooks.

While it is cooking you will have to do the following and only the following:

Don't open the grill anymore than you have to.

Don't let the temperature get out of the range of 250 to 300 degrees. That is critical.

Keep an eye on your hickory chips. When they have been exhausted, add another handful. You will only need to do this about 3 or 4 times. There is only so much smoke you can get into the meat.

If you like, you can rotate the meat (not turn it over) once or twice.

Check the temperature of the meat every hour. You will find that it will quickly rise to about 160 to 180 degrees and then stop rising. It will hang around 160 to 180 for a long time. This is a good thing. When the temperature starts to rise above 180 degrees, you are getting near the end!

Let the briskett reach 200 degrees on the meat thermometer. This should be at least 4 hours. You should start smelling the hickory after about an hour and a half. Keep an eye on it and don't let it burn out long before you add some more chips. You want a "sweet" hickory smoke not a burnt one.

Remove the brisket from the grill and let it rest, uncovered for 20 to 30 minutes.

The brisket should come out black all over. It isn't burned. Your rub has turned dark and it should have protected the meat from burning.

Trim off the excess fat first. Then, slice the brisket against the grain. This is very important.

Eat it as is or with your favorite BBQ sauce.

Now, I am not saying this would win a "Memphis in May" competition, but it is far superior to anything you can buy at any BBQ joint in fRednecksburg

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting '..holy sh*t ....what a ride!' - George Carlin

Last edited by Big Cheese; 07-04-2012 at 07:15 PM.
Old 07-04-2012, 11:14 PM
ocifer slacky pants
Double-D

Location: Half way down the trail to hell, in a shady meadow of green
Last Cigar Smoked: Nub Dub
squish has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowsquish has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowsquish has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowsquish has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowsquish has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowsquish has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowsquish has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowsquish has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowsquish has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowsquish has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowsquish has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Did a few on mine last year....Mrs T stopped by and was impressed

CAUTION! You have entered a Harley based forum. Apply a liberal amount of BS repellent to skin before reading anything by anybody.