Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > Ask The Techs...
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Ask The Techs... This is the way it works. Post up your question in the appropriate Forum, then put a link to it here. We'll ask some very savvy folks to monitor the posts here and answer your question. If you are a Tech answering a question, please do it in the linked thread rather than here. In this way, we can build info in the appropriate Forum. Thanks.

Old 12-25-2011, 10:03 AM
Known Associate

DB Road Dog is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withDB Road Dog is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withDB Road Dog is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withDB Road Dog is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withDB Road Dog is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withDB Road Dog is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withDB Road Dog is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withDB Road Dog is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withDB Road Dog is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withDB Road Dog is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withDB Road Dog is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken R View Post
My guess would be the belt drive sprocket. I just changed one out for a friend last week. The splines wore completely out, the transmission output shaft simply spun inside the hole. It's not an uncommon problem for older motorcycles.

While I had it apart, I changed all the primary and transmission seals, quad o-ring, shifter shaft seal, etc. in addition to the shifter lever and the pulley/sprocket. It wasn't a big deal. Took me about 4 or 5 hours.

Ken
Good stuff Ken, I will keep it in mind.

Thinking it may not be the trans, the bike was shifting fine, went through all the gears a few times, had her in fifth cruising and then it went away. I would think that the gears would have given me some indication of a problem? Also should I change the Primary Chain while I am there?

Last edited by DB Road Dog; 12-25-2011 at 11:14 PM.
Old 12-25-2011, 10:36 AM
Airhead

Ken R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steak
The symptoms were exactly the same. Let out the clutch, whirring noise, no go. One second it was fine . . . the next second, he needed a trailer.

I learned some new stuff while doing it. One was that the engineers thought ahead about failure mode. The pulley (sprocket) is made of softer metal than the output shaft of the transmission so that when it fails, the sprocket gets reamed out. The output shaft looked like new. Same thing about the shifter shaft. His shift lever was wearing out, but the shifter shaft was pristine.

I also changed the shift lever, the big sprocket nut, the nut lock plate, and the two little screws that hold the plate. Cheap stuff. The cost of the seals added up . . . but it'd have been silly to not change 'em.
Old 12-25-2011, 11:52 AM
Double-D
I am Doof

Bluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milk
I know this seems so obvious that it probably isn't this, but there has been some problems with the pulley bolts breaking or leaving form the wheel. Long shot, but just sayin'...

Old 12-25-2011, 05:58 PM
Amsoil Site Sponsor
Double-D

Geezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Any updates?

Meng

TKWSV

Old 12-25-2011, 11:16 PM
Known Associate

DB Road Dog is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withDB Road Dog is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withDB Road Dog is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withDB Road Dog is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withDB Road Dog is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withDB Road Dog is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withDB Road Dog is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withDB Road Dog is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withDB Road Dog is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withDB Road Dog is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withDB Road Dog is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
None, gonna take her to Doc this week and let him deal with her. I will keep you posted on the details.
Old 01-01-2012, 08:18 AM
Known Associate

Dropped her off at Docs Yesterday, Doc was busy tuning. He asked me to start her up and said "Ive heard enough" . Obviouosly as we have already discussed he heeds to crack her open to determine the problem. I will keep you posted.

If it is the transmission I will have to make a dicission wether to go 6 or keep the 5? The feedback I keep getting is I will seldom use the 6th gear, and the bike tends to lug? Any six speed experiences would be appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dec312011 011.jpg (50.9 KB, 79 views)
Old 01-01-2012, 08:35 AM
Original Delinquent

Backroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milk
Quote:
Originally Posted by DB Road Dog View Post
The feedback I keep getting is I will seldom use the 6th gear, and the bike tends to lug? Any six speed experiences would be appreciated.
If most of your riding is country, 2 laners and your seldom on the interstate or above 65 mph, then no, you don't need the 6 speed.

As for lugging.. you don't want to be in 6th if your near or under 60 mph. at that speed, your rpm's will be around 2k unless you've also changed the gear ratio.

Kimber

Old 01-01-2012, 09:35 AM
Amsoil Site Sponsor
Double-D

Geezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
I have the Baker DD6. The Baker uses a different gear ratio than the Screamin' Eagle. I don't use 6th under 60, but for the most part, unless I'm on side streets, I do hit 6th at 60MPH and above. I like it alot.

Asking for opinions on a 6 speed is kinda like asking about synthetic or dino oil! Opinions vary and are very strong!!!

But like Mike said, it all depends on your style of riding and your needs vs. wants. The SE tranny is about 1500 bucks give or take, you can get a Baker DD6 from Eastern Performance for 2000. The SE requires trans case mods, the DD6 is a drop in. DD6 uses a different comp sproket and chain that come with it.

Meng

TKWSV

Old 01-01-2012, 10:23 AM
Known Associate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backroad Mike View Post
If most of your riding is country, 2 laners and your seldom on the interstate or above 65 mph, then no, you don't need the 6 speed.

As for lugging.. you don't want to be in 6th if your near or under 60 mph. at that speed, your rpm's will be around 2k unless you've also changed the gear ratio.
Not any different than most riders, I hate interstate but sometimes you have to make time, I run 70 plus. Got a 95, 26G cams she puts out about 95 hp and torque. Any suggestions on changing gearing to make 6th more usable?
Old 01-01-2012, 11:25 AM
Original Delinquent

Backroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milk
Some have been known to install 337 primary gearing, which IMHO does not compliment the 6 speed because it eliminates any advantage of having 6th gear by increasing the rpm's.

I would not spend the money to add 6th gear if you were going to change the gearing too.. Just leave it a 5 speed and be done with it. Reduces your investment too if your still thinking of a new bike.

Kimber

Old 01-01-2012, 08:52 PM
Known Associate

Quote:
Some have been known to install 337 primary gearing, which IMHO does not compliment the 6 speed because it eliminates any advantage of having 6th gear by increasing the rpm's.

I would not spend the money to add 6th gear if you were going to change the gearing too.. Just leave it a 5 speed and be done with it. Reduces your investment too if your still thinking of a new bike.
Will not change the transmission unless she needs it, But I have no desire to get a new bike either, told Doc, while he is there to change anything that would keep her goin for a while, proactive maintenance. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 01-01-2012, 08:56 PM
The Other Founder
President for Life
Double-D

Last Cigar Smoked: PDR 1878 Reserva Dominicana Capa Oscura
MegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glasses
Quote:

As a feller w/ 3.37 gearing (at Doc's urging), I can tell you that it only adds 200 rpms, and makes a bit of a difference in pickup. I have always thought that it'd be ideal w/ a 6 speed.
So, you know, neener.

http://sherlynpopelka.net/

Revelation 19:11
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse;
and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True,
and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

*Usual manly disclaimer applies, if applicable.
Old 01-01-2012, 09:20 PM
Known Associate

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaGlide View Post
As a feller w/ 3.37 gearing (at Doc's urging), I can tell you that it only adds 200 rpms, and makes a bit of a difference in pickup. I have always thought that it'd be ideal w/ a 6 speed.
So, you know, neener.
Your talkin screamin eagle w the Over Drive?
Old 01-01-2012, 09:30 PM
The Other Founder
President for Life
Double-D

MegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glasses
Quote:
Originally Posted by DB Road Dog View Post
Your talkin screamin eagle w the Over Drive?
Yeah, but it's just a thought.
I don't have one.
Just have the 3.37 gears.

Old 01-01-2012, 09:31 PM
The Other Founder
President for Life
Double-D

I did the math once a long time ago.