Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Specific Interest > The Arsenal
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

The Arsenal Where firearms enthusiasts gather to discuss their passion for things that go bang. Political debate is one floor down and not welcome here.

Old 02-08-2015, 10:55 AM
The Other Founder
President for Life
Double-D

Last Cigar Smoked: PDR 1878 Reserva Dominicana Capa Oscura
MegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glasses
Spend money on ammo. Available at 30-35 cents a round for good stuff (Federal/LC). Buy on stripper clips when you can.
Then, spend money on correcting any deficiencies you notice while shooting.
How it feels/functions in the field is way more important than how it feels/looks on the couch.
The only concession I made to looks on mine was a teardrop forward assist, because I'm old. And I never use it. Why take a clearable jam and pound the action shut on it with, essentially, a ball peen hammer, rendering the weapon unusable except as a lightweight club?
My carry handle isn't even detachable.

http://sherlynpopelka.net/

Revelation 19:11
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse;
and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True,
and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

*Usual manly disclaimer applies, if applicable.
Old 02-08-2015, 11:58 AM
Double-D
Dr. of Doof

OKC Fatboy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowOKC Fatboy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowOKC Fatboy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowOKC Fatboy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowOKC Fatboy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowOKC Fatboy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowOKC Fatboy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowOKC Fatboy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowOKC Fatboy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowOKC Fatboy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowOKC Fatboy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Looking good! Get a light for it. I'm ambivalent about the vertical fore grip. Make sure it's QD. They are like a Lays potato chip. Bet ya can't have just one!

Bob

D.F.F.D.

/Users/rleonard12/Desktop/star-trek-expendability.jpg
Old 02-08-2015, 12:59 PM
Doof Clenas Member

Last Cigar Smoked: Probably a Swisher Sweet
Ancient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suck
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaGlide View Post
Spend money on ammo. Available at 30-35 cents a round for good stuff (Federal/LC). Buy on stripper clips when you can.
Then, spend money on correcting any deficiencies you notice while shooting.
How it feels/functions in the field is way more important than how it feels/looks on the couch.
The only concession I made to looks on mine was a teardrop forward assist, because I'm old. And I never use it. Why take a clearable jam and pound the action shut on it with, essentially, a ball peen hammer, rendering the weapon unusable except as a lightweight club?
My carry handle isn't even detachable.
I also spurn the forward assist. In fact the next toy will probably be a slick sided upper with no assist.
Old 02-08-2015, 01:58 PM
Double-D
I am Doof

Bluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milk
My first AR15

Ammo is starting to build up here. I am nowhere near stockpiling status in any way yet I've wondered about .223/5.56 on stripper clips. I wasn't sure if it was a good idea though, mostly with loading the mags. Thumbs up eh?
I have several hundred rounds on stripper clips for one of my SKSs, (lots of mags for the other) but only because it is the best way to load the 10 round mag on it.
I watched Hickoc45 demo an AR 15 with a side charging handle and no forward assist. Looked pretty slick. I went and found the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aUOdBX3k9U

Old 02-08-2015, 02:10 PM
The Other Founder
President for Life
Double-D

MegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glasses
Well, way back when, the only way to get the new sights, etc., was to get an upper w/ forward assist.
And G.I. stripper clip guides are only like fify cent apiece...

Old 02-08-2015, 02:43 PM
Double-D
I am Doof

Bluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milk
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaGlide View Post
Well, way back when, the only way to get the new sights, etc., was to get an upper w/ forward assist.

And G.I. stripper clip guides are only like fify cent apiece...

Way before dreams of retirement filled your head eh? oke:

Old 02-08-2015, 03:39 PM
The Other Founder
President for Life
Double-D

Nah, dreamin' about it even then,
And some of the cans come with a couple guides in 'em.

Old 02-12-2015, 01:19 AM
Known Associate

Inspector 12 is less annoying than we originally thoughtInspector 12 is less annoying than we originally thoughtInspector 12 is less annoying than we originally thoughtInspector 12 is less annoying than we originally thoughtInspector 12 is less annoying than we originally thoughtInspector 12 is less annoying than we originally thoughtInspector 12 is less annoying than we originally thoughtInspector 12 is less annoying than we originally thoughtInspector 12 is less annoying than we originally thoughtInspector 12 is less annoying than we originally thoughtInspector 12 is less annoying than we originally thought
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancient Iron View Post
I also spurn the forward assist. In fact the next toy will probably be a slick sided upper with no assist.
The only down side to most of the slick side non assist versions is they also lack the dust cover. I don't recall ever using a forward assist but do like the idea of a dust cover to keep the crud out of the action.
Old 02-12-2015, 03:11 PM
The Other Founder
President for Life
Double-D

My first AR15

There was a dust cover on the first SP1 I ever bought. The rifle was made of bronze and fired .22/25 black powder cartridges.

Just another damn Dave
Fluent in Pidgin Cigar Spanish

Old 02-13-2015, 07:37 AM
Amor Vincit Omnia......

Last Cigar Smoked: Drew Estates Kuba Kuba (Lovely!)
stupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
I agree with the Boss on this one, don't gorp it up, leave it as stripped and functional as possible, and stock up on ammo and mags. We have 4 "red dot" 30 round mags, with rounds that have been "faced" (blunted tips on the rounds) to increase the round's "effectiveness"...........

Lets just say that NATO would not approve of them.......................

just a big ol' Doof.....
I MARRIED me a PIRATE!!!....
ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM
Old 02-13-2015, 08:00 AM
The other white meat

Last Cigar Smoked: La Aroma de Cuba Edicion Especial
Infidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Why not just use hollow points, or frangibles?

I know you think you understood what I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

[
Old 02-13-2015, 09:30 AM
Amor Vincit Omnia......

Last Cigar Smoked: Drew Estates Kuba Kuba (Lovely!)
stupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infidel! View Post
Why not just use hollow points, or frangibles?
Till I have enough surplus brass to start reloading them (.223, BTW) it all comes down to cost and availability. The standard NATO .223 is dead cheap and plentiful, and the frangibles and hollow points are more expensive and harder to find 'round these parts.

just a big ol' Doof.....
I MARRIED me a PIRATE!!!....
ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM