Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > Wheels & Tires
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Old 04-03-2007, 10:33 AM
gAZINTa-Delinquent

hornrocker has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowhornrocker has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowhornrocker has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowhornrocker has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowhornrocker has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowhornrocker has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowhornrocker has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowhornrocker has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowhornrocker has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowhornrocker has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowhornrocker has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Tire plugs

I just got a screw in my rear tire (tubeless). Anybody use tire plugging kits, or have plugs in theirs?

Just wonderin' if they work out OK.... my tires were new last year, and only have 4300 miles on 'em.

Thoughts appreciated!
Mark

Old 04-03-2007, 10:53 AM
Road Glider

Mark, I would plug it just to get you to the dealer to change it. No way would I want to see what it is like to bring a bike to a safe stop from 80 mph after one of them suckers goes down. Why press your luck you know.
Old 04-03-2007, 11:30 AM
Banned

sonoffatboy has failed to amuse us
too bad you only have a 4300 on it...

but riding around on a plugged tire...

no way jose...

the possible consequences as opposed to 200bucks you'd save...ain't worth it...
Old 04-03-2007, 11:42 AM
Jams

What they said.

Tire plugs are best used to get to the nearest tire shop -- at 45 mph or less.
Old 04-03-2007, 01:09 PM
pairofnines

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornrocker View Post
I just got a screw in my rear tire (tubeless). Anybody use tire plugging kits, or have plugs in theirs?

Just wonderin' if they work out OK.... my tires were new last year, and only have 4300 miles on 'em.

Thoughts appreciated!
Mark
Some people run them---------I don't - - not at 80mph and Momma on the bike with me>
Old 04-03-2007, 01:26 PM
Kenney

I would try “Rogaine”, Plugs are unsightly, till they take.

In all seriousness replace the tire ASAP.
Old 04-03-2007, 04:45 PM
gAZINTa-Delinquent

hornrocker has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowhornrocker has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowhornrocker has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowhornrocker has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowhornrocker has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowhornrocker has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowhornrocker has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowhornrocker has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowhornrocker has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowhornrocker has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowhornrocker has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Thanks guys, quick responses - that's just awesome!

That's how I felt, but wanted to check with the rest of the world, sometimes I catch sh!t for being "overly" cautious.

Just dropped the bike off for a new one!

Thanks again,
Mark

Old 04-03-2007, 04:48 PM
gAZINTa-Delinquent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenney View Post
I would try “Rogaine”, Plugs are unsightly, till they take.

Kenny, are you speaking from experience? Just wonderin'

Thanks again to all of you

Old 04-03-2007, 06:11 PM
GazintA Prime

bobsled77 has failed to amuse us
I thought this thread was saying hair plugs and saw it was started by hornrocker..........oooops!

Cause i'm canadian EH!
Old 04-03-2007, 10:11 PM
pops

In the old days i had tires with plugs and the monkey patches, the kind you light and burn it on with as many as 4 repairs on one tire, nowdays it's a big no no,,, did the tires change or was it i was just a stupid DOOF back then before i gad u ated to gAzinta and got smart ???
Old 04-03-2007, 10:41 PM
Jams

If it was a tube type tire I would patch it and boot the tire and watch it very carefully. But a tubeless tire with a plug ,,,, no way.

Tube to tubeless is what changed.
Old 04-03-2007, 10:59 PM
not Lady G, but....

route66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
If it had less than 2000 miles, I might be tempted to put a boot in. The tire has to come off, the area is buffed and a sprcial patch is then installed. I wouldn't run a plug any farther than the nearest mechs shop or home if it is sun and closer than 150 mi. and it would be at <45mph

"The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws." (Tacitus, Roman historian 55-117 A.D.)

Original 43%er

CAT HERDER GORGE CROSSER SKYLINE

My buddy!
Old 04-04-2007, 02:30 AM
Nucking Futz

Vilhelm has failed to amuse us
Would be a good tire for a SERIOUS burn off...if yer into doin that sort of thing.
Old 04-04-2007, 01:17 PM
Kenney

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornrocker View Post
Kenny, are you speaking from experience? Just wonderin'

Thanks again to all of you
The wife’s boss had this done and all of the office people called him “plugs”.
Me I would rather spend my $ on “go fast” for the bike.
Thanks for asking.
Old 04-04-2007, 09:10 PM
JamieWG

If it was a newer tire, I would have put a tube in it. At 4300, you done the right thing.