Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Specific Interest > Computer Talk
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Computer Talk Have a computer question, problem or internet issue? The computer talk is here.

Old 04-29-2012, 07:05 PM
Bon vivant!

orbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Adding new life to an old PC

My main computer is a dinosaur: Antec case, Asus A8V motherboard, real early AMD Athlon 64 processor, 3 GB RAM, two hard drives totalling 330 GB.

The machine started developing a boot problem, sometimes yes, sometimes no. A stab at the reset button usually solved the problem. No blue screen, just a click of the master hard drive, like it wasn't getting enough juice. That drive is less than three years old.

I decided that the ancient electronics probably needed a boost in power as the old Antec 330W power supply was either beginning to fail or couldn't meet the needs of the other old junk running in the computer.

I've always been picky about keeping the inside of the case clean of dust and junk and I didn't think excessive heat was a problem.....

So, I paid a visit to newegg and got me a new power supply plus a video card upgrade.

The video card is a HIS IceQ H467QS1GHA Radeon HD 4670 1GB 128-bit DDR3 AGP 4X/8X HDCP Ready Video Card. I got this because of the AGP-slotted motherboard. It works well, after I adjusted the settings on my acer x223w monitor. Old vid card was a nvidea 64 bit something or another, more than likely approaching 10-years old.

<info on the vid card can be found here>

The new power supply is an Antec EarthWatts EA-650 GREEN 650W ATX12V v2.3 SLI Ready CrossFire Certified 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply.

It's got more power connectors than Carter's got pills! A ton of 15 pin SATA power connectors, not enough 4-pin Molex power connectors, which I really needed. A trip to CDW's retail store in Vernon Hills got me the adapters I needed to finish powering up the stuff I needed power for. I'm now running three fans, as opposed to the two I ran before.

I got this power supply as I can use it if or when the time comes to upgrade the hardware in the old box.

<info on the Antec can be found here>

As usual, the stuff from newegg arrived quickly and was priced reasonably, too.

Anyway, the computer now boots super fine, no hang ups or other malfunctions, graphics work, fans make noise. Everything seems a bit faster as well.

I've since installed a copy of Bootvis and played with that a bit, which seemed to help the boot sequence just a little bit more.

I got about $210 stuck in it total. Plus a 60 mile scooter ride to pick up the adapters........

Old 04-29-2012, 07:16 PM
Somewhat Bionic

Last Cigar Smoked: Hoyo De Monterrey Robusto
Big Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Too much like work.

I'm becoming a fan of whatever laptop (HP, Compaq, Toshiba, etc) is on sale. We don't have any desktops at home any more.

I believe 3-4 years and time to upgrade. I've been in the $350.00 range on the last two.

Oh yeah, I did pony up for a 1 TB portable hard drive for backing up. Good insurance.

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting '..holy sh*t ....what a ride!' - George Carlin

Old 04-29-2012, 07:37 PM
Bon vivant!

orbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Yeah, we use laptops mostly here too.

However, I do use the PC a lot for graphics and video stuff.

For that, it's just easier to work on the big computer than it is the little.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:22 PM
Somewhat Bionic

Last Cigar Smoked: Hoyo De Monterrey Robusto
Big Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Dual monitor setup in the home office.... Just sayin

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting '..holy sh*t ....what a ride!' - George Carlin