Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > Handlebars, Grips, Cables...
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Old 03-11-2007, 02:11 PM
D.O.R.K.

rraymond has failed to amuse us
Heated grips with fat bars???

Anyone put heated grips with 1 1/4 fat bars. The Moco says it can't be done. I'm going to go with Wild 1 chubby beach bars W0550's and want to keep my heated grips.
Thanks,
Rick

Rick..."Do it On a Road King"
Old 03-12-2007, 04:55 PM
Amsoil Site Sponsor
Double-D

Geezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
I'm sure you could do it, but it's gonna be tight. You would want to feed the heated wiring thru first, then fish the switch loom thru next. As soon as the MoCo says it can't be done, thats the time to do it!!

If your heated grips are like the 5 pair I have had, they're gonna go titts up soon anyhow!!

Good luck!

Meng

TKWSV

Old 03-14-2007, 07:23 PM
Hates D, 4 and Green

tibs has failed to amuse us
What I've found with the grips is the connector on the left grip wears out and breaks the circuit. If you ever have one fail, check this side with a volt meter and see if its getting 12 volts. If not, its the thermostat, if so, its the circuit not closing.

What I am planning to do is solder the wire at the extension, and then dab a little solder on the two connectors in the left grip to make it harder to fall off when convering to internal wires. I have two bikes to maintain, two sets of grips to worry about, and two years later still have two working grips, with the only problem being that damn left grip being loose. Its very annoying.

I actually bought a different set of grips when my old ones went out, then the new ones died a month after putting them in, I refused to accept this crap and worked for a few hours to figure out what happened. Turns out the old pair still worked as well. (Dont tell anyone, I was so pissed I cut the wire harness off 5 inches from the left grip before I realized this)
Old 03-26-2007, 09:29 AM
Hates D, 4 and Green

tibs has failed to amuse us
I was able to do internal wires with an 06 softail harness and heated grips this weekend with 1" bars, so I suspect you can do it with bigger bars and more wires for the touring bikes.

I did however move the turn signals to the light bar, as those three wires were too much on the clutch side with the heated grips harness as well.

The hardest part for me was extending the harness out, it just takes time to do it. I ended up with 4" of slack.

I went to an auto parts store and bought rubber gromets for the holes, even though I deburred them - I dont want to have a problem down the road with a short. I used shrink wrap on each wire at the solder joints, then shrink wrap on three wires together, and then the loom.

You will have to alter the left grip some with a knife to allow the wire to go under the switch housing, or live with it looped under there and into the hole.