Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > Ask The Techs...
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Ask The Techs... This is the way it works. Post up your question in the appropriate Forum, then put a link to it here. We'll ask some very savvy folks to monitor the posts here and answer your question. If you are a Tech answering a question, please do it in the linked thread rather than here. In this way, we can build info in the appropriate Forum. Thanks.

Old 11-20-2008, 01:02 PM
GazintA

TerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezer-Glide View Post
Three things come to mind.

We're both brilliant.

I'm a skimmer.

I'm going with #1.

Engine by Otto.
Old 11-20-2008, 01:44 PM
Public Doofender

Highmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milk
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryMiller View Post
Mike,

Have ya decided what you're going to do?

Milling the bathtubs will help but take a while. Going to the stock thickness gasket will get the compression to 190 or so. A .040 gasket will drop the compression to 195 which is about where mine is.
Since I'm not brilliant, that leaves skimmer.

Did you know I liked Bobbers?

Old 11-27-2008, 07:16 AM
really small member

strokerjlk has failed to amuse us
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8-Ball View Post
At least that is his suspicion.

I've attached some test runs in a pdf file at the bottom of this post.

He says that he doesn't like to alter the timing more than 4 points and it is looking like it is running like 12 points off... maybe those are degrees... I don't know.

He checked my build list and says it should be near perfect.

Since it is so far off, he isn't sure what the problem is except that he suspects the compression isn't what it is supposed to be at 9.8:1 or that my cam isn't what it is supposed to be (37g).

Anyone want to take a look at the attached document and give an opinion.

Hillside was supposed to mill the pistons after he measured the heads to achieve 9.8:1 and he rebuilt the heads (spings, valve grind, seals). Doc told me to go for 9.8:1 with the 37g cams and the local tuner said the numbers should be right, but it isn't acting like what he would expect.

Variables and unknowns:

There is no way for me to know what Hillside did but I see no reason to doubt his workmanship. We talked several times and Scott knew what was to be done.

Steve at GMR had me get rid of my TW6g cams and he sold to me and installed the 37g cams. I know he switches parts around and I don't know if I actually have a 37g cam or not.

Steve also couldn't load a map onto my ECM so he swapped it with (I'm was told) a new bike at a dealer friend of his. My tuner (HD shop) checked the part number and said it comes up as a bad number. He is going to check it next week. He said he can't imagine that is the problem because the bike is basically running well except for the pinging. But he wants to be sure.

The thing still bangs and won't start on a REstart and now a cold start... bangs and makes a god-awful racket out of the primary. He said it was a map issue and he kept messing with the cranking fuel. He would get it working perfect... then it went whacky again. To me, it is getting worse.

What a piece of shit this thing is... or maybe it is the combination of parts or maybe nobody knows what the fukc they are talking about.

I'm just frustrated.... again...

My left nut for something that runs right.

Save your "should have left it stock" comments... in fact, just stuff them right back up your ass...

I'm interested in positive, constructive commentary here or shut the fukc up...

I'm so fukcing pissed I can't see straight...

Here is the build:

• 95 Inch seasoned stock HD cylinders bored by Doc
• Wiseco forged domed pistons milled to match heads at 9:8:1 fitted by Hillside Cycle
• AMS Lifters
• R & R CNC Ported Heads rebuilt by Hillside
• Valves ground by Hillside Cycle
• Cometic .030
• 48mm Throttle Body
• Andrews 37G Gear Drive Cams
• GMR adjustable push rods
• Baisley Spring • Magnecor KV85 Plug Wires
• SERT
• Rinehart True Duals w/Torque Chambers by BUB
• D&M Cycles Bullet Air Cleaner
• Rivera Pro Clutch
• Dyno Tune by Performance Choppers

He wants me to run some octane booster over the weekend and see if that helps.

He is suggesting that we do a compression test (hot and cold)... then remove the cams and see what is in there.

He says either the compression is wrong (pistons) or the cams are not 37Gs....

On a postive note... the front motor mount was replaced and the vibration I was feeling is totally gone and it feels like I'm riding a sport bike... my God I was fighting the corners. Does a front motor mount have that much effect on handling?

Thanks for your patience and allowing me to vent.

I want anything other than a Harley...
OK I know it is my first post here so you may not know me or wonder if I know anything. I also didnt read all the replies, a lot, but not all. WITH THAT SAID.
.I had a similar problem here is what my data log said.
3678 rpm
99 mph
t.p100%
map load 102.6
AFR desired 12.5
ve front 96.5
ve rear 95.5
spark adv front 11.0
spark adv rear 20.5
engine temp 210
knock retard front 9.75
knock retard rear 0.00
6 th gear
I found that the retarding of the timing was caused by auto ignition not detonation. My AFR was 12.5 to rich for my stock 96ci with just pipes and A/C. I would try increasing your AFR at 100kpa (WOT) other words lean it out some. Maybe 11.0 is to rich. You may have some other problems with compression . Ovouisly there is no way to tell with out the previous suggestions others have made . I realize our bike are completely different in terms of HP TQ mods.,but still the same theory. The interesting part is my bike would never run over 100mph in 6th gear at WOT with the 12.5 AFR (drop down to 5th and take off) but...... after raising the AFR to 13.2 at 100kpa WOT it spun up to 115 mph. I may be off on this theory for your bike . But if I was tuning it I would give it a try before tearing it apart. No disrespect to any tuner but sometimes the old thinking of richer is better and cant hurt is not always true.
Jim.

07 Ultra
R/D T/D
SE/AC
SERT
GARMIN 2610
3 GAL. AUX FUEL CELL
IBA#31913
BBG 1566 IN 23HRS.
those who hammer there guns into plows will plow for those who do not
Thomas Jefferson