Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > Engine & Transmission
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Old 02-18-2012, 02:12 AM
Soul Brother No. 1

Robo doesn't need a tube sockRobo doesn't need a tube sockRobo doesn't need a tube sockRobo doesn't need a tube sockRobo doesn't need a tube sockRobo doesn't need a tube sockRobo doesn't need a tube sockRobo doesn't need a tube sockRobo doesn't need a tube sockRobo doesn't need a tube sockRobo doesn't need a tube sock
Robo Glide plans...

Regular old 2011 Street Glide, 103, SE Street Performance slip ons, SE Ventilator intake as it sits.

I'm wanting to get a set of SE 255's, Jackpot 2-1-2 headpipes (or Fulsac X pipes), I guess the rest will stay as it is... I had a TTS for my Night Train, it was pretty user friendly, should I go with it again for this combination? What parts would you trade out, and why?

I'm not looking to hot rod the MRG yet, just make it roll like it should have from the factory.

Sherlyn Popelka, Arrested, Underage Drinking, DUI, Aggravated Assault, Fugitive, Warrant
Old 02-18-2012, 10:10 AM
Original Delinquent

Backroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
Regular old 2011 Street Glide, 103, SE Street Performance slip ons, SE Ventilator intake as it sits.

I'm wanting to get a set of SE 255's, Jackpot 2-1-2 headpipes (or Fulsac X pipes), I guess the rest will stay as it is... I had a TTS for my Night Train, it was pretty user friendly, should I go with it again for this combination? What parts would you trade out, and why?

I'm not looking to hot rod the MRG yet, just make it roll like it should have from the factory.
Rob. 2011 CVO's come with the 255, and while they are decent, there are many who change them out for Andrews 54's, woods 555/777's, T-man 590's and others. Lots of posts on various forums with cam comparisons that will have your head spinning on combinations... I.E.. head work, compression changes, blah blah blah.. All depends on what or who you might have helping. I'd imagine up there you probably don't have many options.

As far as tuners.. they're almost more plentiful than cams.. Depends on whether you want to replace the ECM, or program the existing. Lots of research went into the delphi system and for an ECM it's hard to beat. The Revolution and Thundermax are complete replacements, the power commander, power vision, TTS, SERT (or whatever HD is calling it now) all fool/adjust the stock ecm.

I'm going to use the Dynojet Power Vision on the new bike. Lots of good reviews coming in and I also added the wide band sensors, so I should be able to make any tuning changes down the road no matter what I might eventually do. I'm waiting for my Jackpot headers to get finished ceramic coated and shipped.

Kimber

Old 02-18-2012, 11:01 AM
Soul Brother No. 1

Robo doesn't need a tube sockRobo doesn't need a tube sockRobo doesn't need a tube sockRobo doesn't need a tube sockRobo doesn't need a tube sockRobo doesn't need a tube sockRobo doesn't need a tube sockRobo doesn't need a tube sockRobo doesn't need a tube sockRobo doesn't need a tube sockRobo doesn't need a tube sock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backroad Mike View Post
Rob. 2011 CVO's come with the 255, and while they are decent, there are many who change them out for Andrews 54's, woods 555/777's, T-man 590's and others. Lots of posts on various forums with cam comparisons that will have your head spinning on combinations... I.E.. head work, compression changes, blah blah blah.. All depends on what or who you might have helping. I'd imagine up there you probably don't have many options.
I've seen all kinds of dyno sheets, read all sorts of reviews, I'm just trying to keep it simple. I ride every day that I can, mostly (95%) solo, daily 100-ish mile round trips will be common. I want to be able to have something on tap when I decide to get a handful of throttle (which isn't a lot).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backroad Mike View Post
As far as tuners.. they're almost more plentiful than cams.. Depends on whether you want to replace the ECM, or program the existing. Lots of research went into the delphi system and for an ECM it's hard to beat. The Revolution and Thundermax are complete replacements, the power commander, power vision, TTS, SERT (or whatever HD is calling it now) all fool/adjust the stock ecm.

I'm going to use the Dynojet Power Vision on the new bike. Lots of good reviews coming in and I also added the wide band sensors, so I should be able to make any tuning changes down the road no matter what I might eventually do. I'm waiting for my Jackpot headers to get finished ceramic coated and shipped.
I liked the TTS, any more adjustability from the "user" than what it has, would be a waste, as I not that smart (Russ, that was a compliment, sorta)... Simple, fun, and reliable; all I'm really looking for, and really don't wanna open my wallet multiple times for the same type of parts.

Sherlyn Popelka, Arrested, Underage Drinking, DUI, Aggravated Assault, Fugitive, Warrant
Old 02-18-2012, 11:09 AM
The other white meat

Last Cigar Smoked: La Aroma de Cuba Edicion Especial
Infidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Depends on what you're looking for. The 255's are a fine cam for a bagger. Plenty of power down low. I remember I had them in my 07 Ultra, read so much about about how crappy they were that I decided to switch them out. I installed some Woods TW6-6, which were highly touted. I was really disappointed in the loss of low end power. There were times I wished I had my 255's back.

I've tried other cams, the SE 254e was a great cam with a looooong power curve, but nothing gives the down low oomph of a 255.

That said, I'm not done playing. I think I'm going to take the 255's out of the CVO and get some CycleRama 575.

I know you think you understood what I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

[
Old 03-03-2012, 02:32 PM
Soul Brother No. 1

Okay, got some low-mileage 255's for $50. What else do I need to purchase for just the cam swap?

Old 03-03-2012, 06:01 PM
grapenutless

Last Cigar Smoked: none of your danged business
y2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
is that lou reed in your avatar? he grew up in the town next to mine....
who's to blame in 2014?
OH THIS IS SO NOODLES FAULT
Chitty Chitty

Old 03-03-2012, 06:55 PM
Soul Brother No. 1

Yeah, it's Lou Reed. I picked it because of the song "Lady Godiva's Operation". what town did you grow up in?

Old 03-03-2012, 07:28 PM
grapenutless

Last Cigar Smoked: none of your danged business
y2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
I grew up in Merrick, ny Lou graduated Freeport high, my wife her sister and my exbrotherinlaw and now my stepson are major Lou Reed freaks

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
who's to blame in 2014?
OH THIS IS SO NOODLES FAULT
Chitty Chitty

Old 03-03-2012, 09:46 PM
Soul Brother No. 1

This is a parts list I found online. Does it sound complete?

Cams - Obviously!

HD tapered adjustable quick install push rods

The o-rings for the cam plate and oil pump

Cam cover gasket

Timken Torrington Bearings

Exhaust port gaskets

Cam Spacer

TORCA Clamps for the exhaust joints

Old 03-03-2012, 11:19 PM
gAZINTa-Delinquent

Last Cigar Smoked: Banana pudding after some baby back ribs
jasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
You reuse the front cam spacer, but you need several different sizes so you can align the pinion and cam sprockets with a straight edge. You need lifter cover gaskets. Pushrod tube o rings.

Separated at birth? You decide
Old 03-03-2012, 11:23 PM
Soul Brother No. 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasilva View Post
You reuse the front cam spacer, but you need several different sizes so you can align the pinion and cam sprockets with a straight edge. You need lifter cover gaskets. Pushrod tube o rings.
Thank you! Do I need these if I'm just doing the "open cam chest only" install?

Old 03-03-2012, 11:53 PM
Airhead

Ken R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infidel! View Post
Depends on what you're looking for. The 255's are a fine cam for a bagger. Plenty of power down low. I remember I had them in my 07 Ultra, read so much about about how crappy they were that I decided to switch them out. I installed some Woods TW6-6, which were highly touted. I was really disappointed in the loss of low end power. There were times I wished I had my 255's back.

I've tried other cams, the SE 254e was a great cam with a looooong power curve, but nothing gives the down low oomph of a 255.

That said, I'm not done playing. I think I'm going to take the 255's out of the CVO and get some CycleRama 575.
I'll be interesting in hearing what you say about the CycleRama 575's, Dan. I bought a set because of your talking about 'em and really think they're perfect for a reliable bagger. Mine are working great and the dyno charts prove it.

Robo, I can't see doing anything more than a cam and tuner on a 103 that already has a good air cleaner and good flowing exhaust. I have a web page with a lot of documentation on my 103.

Ken
Old 03-04-2012, 01:37 AM
Not just another pretty face

vafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milk
Quote:
This is a parts list I found online. Does it sound complete?

Cams - Obviously!

HD tapered adjustable quick install push rods

The o-rings for the cam plate and oil pump

Cam cover gasket

Timken Torrington Bearings

Exhaust port gaskets

Cam Spacer

TORCA Clamps for the exhaust joints
Please tell me you have the manual.

Inner cam bearing puller and installer.
Check out the instructions below, specifically item 18 and 19 for aligning the CAMPLATE and oil pump. The early manuals don't refer to aligning the camplate first, then the pump.

http://www.feulingparts.com/feulingi...tions/8000.pdf

Assembly lube.

Make sure the cam cover holes in the case are clear of all oil (oil can get in the holes when you take the cover off) before installing the cover and bolts, enough oil in the hole will crack the case when you tighten the bolts.
Old 03-04-2012, 02:34 AM
gAZINTa-Delinquent

Last Cigar Smoked: Banana pudding after some baby back ribs
jasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Thank you! Do I need these if I'm just doing the "open cam chest only" install?
No, but it's really easier to just pull the lifter covers and pull the lifters out. The manual shows using spring clips and rubber bands to hold the lifters up but that really a pain in the ass, especially if one doesn't work and you drop a lifter into the camchest.

Separated at birth? You decide
Old 03-04-2012, 03:06 AM
Soul Brother No. 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by vafatboy View Post
Please tell me you have the manual.
Ordered!

Quote:
Inner cam bearing puller and installer.
Planned to get one, loads of choices, kinda confusing decision wise...

Quote:
Check out the instructions below, specifically item 18 and 19 for aligning the CAMPLATE and oil pump. The early manuals don't refer to aligning the camplate first, then the pump.

http://www.feulingparts.com/feulingi...tions/8000.pdf
Interesting, that's the first time I've read that...

Quote:
Assembly lube.
Forgot that one, just can't go around jamming stuff in places that ain't quite ready, can we?!?

Quote:
Make sure the cam cover holes in the case are clear of all oil (oil can get in the holes when you take the cover off) before installing the cover and bolts, enough oil in the hole will crack the case when you tighten the bolts.
Thanks for the warning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasilva View Post
No, but it's really easier to just pull the lifter covers and pull the lifters out. The manual shows using spring clips and rubber bands to hold the lifters up but that really a pain in the ass, especially if one doesn't work and you drop a lifter into the camchest.
Good point. Never thought about that...

Dang! Y'all hooked me up. Also made me reconsider doing it myself... Might start talking to Smart Dave... Thanks y'all!!!