Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > General Maintenance & Service
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

General Maintenance & Service Doing it yourself or having it done...

Old 10-21-2007, 01:35 AM
Excommunicated

Berserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girl
Removing head

Going to post some pics from when I removed front head. Front is a lot easier then rear, better clearance. I didn't buy anything special from front. I left the exhaust on.

For rear I got 1/2 & 7/16 dogbone from Mcmaster Carr. There were still a couple I guessed at.

Though now I have 1/4 drive ratchets, and wonder if it might go better. Also curious if 1/4 drive tq wrench would help.

Changing heads is fairly straight forward follow the manual, good directions and diagrams. Just thought I would some pics for the curious.

Not to hard to do. Bolt on.
Old 10-21-2007, 01:36 AM
Excommunicated

Berserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girl
I was out in Yellowstone, going down the road, and blew out a plug. I knew the sound from my old 2 strokes. Coasted to side, while being passed by a few HDs. Then road it on one cylinder to a clearing, where I stopped to look at it, all along being passed by HDs.

I put the plug back in tightened, down, but came loose in about 10 miles. Tightened a few times. Last time, tightened, until my butt puckered, and drove home 1300+ miles. Got home drove around the weekend, then pulled it out, and it pretty much just fell in the hole when I tried to put it back in.

Lots of places had heli coils in stock, but no had the die. So ended up bring to a shop to do, $25. Probably worth it. Later had GMR weld in a sert, when he did my heads. Wish I would have done the rear too.

Either way, here are some pics
Old 10-21-2007, 01:39 AM
Excommunicated

What I found cool about this, is how simple the engine is.
The push rods get driven by the lifters, getting driven by the cams. Springs on the other side of the rocker arms drive it the other way.

The one tricky thing for me, was getting the push rod tubes back together.During assembly. A lot f swearing. I am sure a pro does them in 30 seconds.

The rods are different, silver and black. I still label them with masking tape and marker, to identify late
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rocker arms resize.JPG (88.4 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg push rods resize.JPG (64.9 KB, 42 views)
Old 10-21-2007, 01:56 AM
Excommunicated

I labeled and seperated each step by A,B,C,D according to the manual for removal.

While it probably makes no difference, I do bag each cylinder seperately. with the though that they may wear differant and not mate the same. But probably being anal.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rocker housing resize.JPG (86.4 KB, 36 views)
Old 10-21-2007, 02:00 AM
Excommunicated

Before removing the rocker arms you have to bring the cylinder to TDC. while not hard, the 1st time not really confident. Stuck my finger in and followed the 4 cycles, when stopped blowing TDC. Also stuck a peice of metal hanger in to watch it go up in down.

This can be tuff to do by yourself. You have to to talk real nice to gf, and get her to spin the tire for you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg head resize.JPG (87.8 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg TDC resize.JPG (96.4 KB, 36 views)

Last edited by Berserker; 10-21-2007 at 02:10 AM.
Old 10-21-2007, 02:05 AM
Excommunicated

I hope the gasket pic is right, check your manual. Mine did not look exactly the same as diagram. One of the outside middle section was covered in mine and not in diagram.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bottom head resize.JPG (114.1 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg rocker housing gasket resize 2.JPG (64.1 KB, 34 views)
Old 10-21-2007, 02:11 AM
Excommunicated

Well, the ice is melted in my gin and tonic. So this episode is through. jsut remember, if I can do it, so can you. If you do trash your engine, remember Berserker is a fictious character, not meant to represent anyone live or dead.
Old 10-21-2007, 02:48 AM
Double-D

FXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
LOL!!! Thabnk you for that!