Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Specific Interest > Computer Talk
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Computer Talk Have a computer question, problem or internet issue? The computer talk is here.

Old 04-02-2009, 10:06 PM
gAZINTa - Delinquent

dzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
SERIOUSLY NOW...

Gonna be getting a laptop in a few weeks. I'm gonna stop
at Best Buy and test drive a few. Really not sure
what to look for. Not into gaming, just surfing, pictures, music,
maybe some fuel management. So, I guess the real question is,

PC or Mac?....good, bad, ugly....Let me have it.

Just remember, opinions are like assholes, everybody has one,
and they all stink.

thanks...dzlfitr
Old 04-02-2009, 10:09 PM
Double-D

mudslinger is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withmudslinger is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withmudslinger is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withmudslinger is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withmudslinger is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withmudslinger is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withmudslinger is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withmudslinger is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withmudslinger is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withmudslinger is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withmudslinger is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
I have a dell that i like pretty well and was affordable lots for ram decent processor

Old 04-02-2009, 10:17 PM
Under Construction

Last Cigar Smoked: Robert Burns Blackwatch, in the '70s
TalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
I currently have a Lenovo Y530. Really like it, but their shipping sux ass like the day is long.

Had two Toshibas over the last 8 years that both eventually broke due to Windows updates breaking their not-quite compliant ACPI implementation.

Dell is good. Bought Spas a Sony that is pretty nice too.

Mac will require you to turn in your nutsack.
Somewhat dilapidated, yet functional, Kubota L2500
'20 Branson 3620
'18 Ram 3500 Diesel
'02 Wrangler X, 4" lift on 33 x 12.50s
Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140
Felt Nine 50
Killin' more bees than Monsanto
Old 04-02-2009, 11:16 PM
gAZINTa-Delinquent

Thorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sock
Computers are like motorcycles...what are you're going to use it for?...You can't get a processor Mhz that's too fast, video card should be the best you can afford, 4 mb is a good amount for the memory, and 200 Gb hard drive is good for a normal person. YMMV...everyone has an opinion.

Thorns

"The right of the people to keep and bear arms." "Gimme back, gimme back my bullets"

Old 04-02-2009, 11:40 PM
Executive Vice President
D.F.F.D

Last Cigar Smoked: Romeo y Julieta Churchill
BillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
I'd go for a mid-range Dell model and get the extended warranty. Laptops are a lot more prone to failure than desktops and getting anything fixed on a laptop could easily end up costing 50% of the original value of the laptop.

I prefer XP but if you get a laptop that comes with it pre-installed, Vista is a good option. Be sure to get at least 2GB of RAM, more if you can...just sayin'

Old 04-03-2009, 05:09 AM
Double-D

why_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milk
I agree with Billy, go with a mid range Dell. The Latitude series are good all around laptops. Don't skimp on the warranty. Go with at least a 3 year warranty, in home service, screw that mail in stuff, which if you go to one of the Box-Marts, you'll be getting the mail in warranty most likely. It breaks, they send you a box, you send it in, they delete everything to start from scratch and mail it back to you a month later. You go without a PC for a month and have the added bonus of losing your data. Get the fastest processor and the most RAM (memory) that you can afford. For home use, the operating system doesn't really matter. You'll be somewhat hard pressed finding a new machine preloaded with anything but Vista at this point. If you hold out a bit longer, Windows 7 will be out.

Also, whatever you get, make sure it comes with all the CD's you will need to completely reload the computer should it have a failure of some sort. A lot of these new ones are trying to save $$ by leaving out the media and creating a restore image on the hard drive for you to be able to put the computer to a factory fresh state. This does you no good should your hard drive crash.
"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid" - Gen Eisenhower.
Old 04-03-2009, 05:47 AM
Original Delinquent

Backroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milk
A computer wizard friend of mine told me yesterday of the newest tactic on the "HOT" deals. They load office software that expires after 60 days unless you pay to upgrade to the full version. In the end, they don't end up being the "hot" deal you thought.

Kimber

Old 04-03-2009, 06:15 AM
grapenutless

Last Cigar Smoked: none of your danged business
y2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
I have a dell 1505 its about 3 years old, it survived a glass of wine, but in the meantime I had bought an HP and hated it, the keyboard is gray with light numbers, you can't see them at all in bad lighting.
who's to blame in 2014?
OH THIS IS SO NOODLES FAULT
Chitty Chitty

Old 04-03-2009, 07:32 AM
Double-D
The Mechanic

d j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
I purchased a Dell E6400 laptop for work. I really like the back-lit key board. I gave up on the laptop touch pad mouse and purchased a BluTooth mouse.

Old 04-03-2009, 07:54 AM
Public Doofender

Highmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milk
I've had 3 Dell's and have been happy with them. No issues.

Did you know I liked Bobbers?

Old 04-03-2009, 08:40 AM
Double-D

FXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Long time ago we bought about 100 computers where I worked. Went with a mix of brands and then tracked which had fewest issues. Dell by a good margin. Since, I've bought Toshiba and Dell laptops for personal and business use. Both have been fine, but I like Dell because when you do need their service - it's solid. Toshiba... I'm dealing with a green-haired kid at Best Buy... IMO, YMMV.
Old 04-03-2009, 08:45 AM
Not So Brave Knight

NSBK is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withNSBK is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withNSBK is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withNSBK is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withNSBK is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withNSBK is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withNSBK is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withNSBK is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withNSBK is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withNSBK is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withNSBK is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
I have a Mac and Old PC at home (both desktops not laptops). I love the Mac, but some specialized software (ie pilot stuff) is only available on a PC, I would guess that to be true for tuning software too. The Mac is bulletproof, but expensive.

At work they give us HP's, I have only had one Hardware failure, I can't speak for speed as they load them down with junk that slows them down. If I could I would have a 5th grader fix it for me.

The Mac's now have a dual boot option to boot native Windows, but I have not tried it yet.

---- Not So Brave Knight of the 43 sided table ----

Old 04-03-2009, 08:52 AM
Double-D
Self Proclaimed Pariah

Dirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Dell computers are where it's at. You can customize them the way you want. And if you want to save money, go to the online Dell Outlet Store and buy a returned or scratch and dent item.

'08 Ultra
S&S SPO's
Old 04-03-2009, 09:42 AM
Double-D

Scabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suck
Have had a few models of both Dell and HP, company provided and now have an HP Pavillion for my business. Have had good luck with both.

"Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter."...Satchel Paige

"Mother Nature may dictate I grow older but there ain't nothin' nor nobody can make me grow up." ..Me

Old 04-03-2009, 10:24 AM
Excommunicated

Bofinn has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBofinn has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBofinn has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBofinn has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBofinn has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBofinn has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBofinn has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBofinn has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBofinn has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBofinn has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBofinn has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Another vote for Dell. HP would be 2nd choice.

2GB memory minimum, 3GB good, 4GB better.

min. of 256MB of video memory

5,400rpm hard drive is a bottleneck, upgrade to 7,200 RPM, 120GB min. 250GB or more would be best.

standard 6 cell battery, 9 cell would be better.

-------------------------------------------
and most important: set up a backup routine from day #1, I don't want to hear you crying when you lose your digital pictures, blah blah blah!

http://www.doofclenas.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=144498