Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > Engine & Transmission
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Old 06-23-2009, 02:24 PM
A Delinquent by Birth

SLOWHOUND doesn't need a tube sockSLOWHOUND doesn't need a tube sockSLOWHOUND doesn't need a tube sockSLOWHOUND doesn't need a tube sockSLOWHOUND doesn't need a tube sockSLOWHOUND doesn't need a tube sockSLOWHOUND doesn't need a tube sockSLOWHOUND doesn't need a tube sockSLOWHOUND doesn't need a tube sockSLOWHOUND doesn't need a tube sockSLOWHOUND doesn't need a tube sock
Rattle can

Well here goes the news of the hour.My RK has been in the shop since I got back from Scotts ride,the motor sounded like a rattle can empty when I was cruising down the highway.Rather then speculate,I gave it to Ft. Washington HD
to look at it and see what they find.A friend of mine is a tech there and he said it sounded like the lifters were loosing there hyd prime.I said well it was in her in Aug 08 for the same noise and now it's worse ,we need to get HD to cover it under warrentee ,it went out in Sept 08.I just got off the phone with Ft Washington service adviser Peggy and she said the crank runout was .0024 and the spec was .001 so we have a situation ,she talked to the HD factory and I will be getting a new motor in my bike,I have to pay labor,gaskets and fluids.I will be onn the hook for about $1000.00 at the most after all is said and done.I am happy and unhappy in the same breath.I wanted them to fix it 100% but this is better than them blowing me off with nothing.I asked if this motor was the same as the 07 or upgraded like the 09 and it upgraded.WOOOHOOO new motor no miles so that is the 911.

Old 06-23-2009, 02:31 PM
Excommunicated

Berserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girl
There is truth to the rumor, about the junk harley cranks. Lots of hysteria about it at VTF. Now we have one of our own. Its sad you are out a $1k, but it beats the alternative.
Old 06-23-2009, 02:34 PM
Excommunicated

Berserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girl
I am going to use my handicap pass, to get up close, next time Willie gives a speech. Start shouting we want our Timkens back. Wait to you see them Rodney King a guy in a wheel chair, on TV.
Old 06-23-2009, 02:38 PM
Double-D
Self Proclaimed Pariah

Dirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
If my engine blows, I'm gonna replace it with one like Backroad Mike has...

'08 Ultra
S&S SPO's
Old 06-23-2009, 02:40 PM
The Other Founder
President for Life
Double-D

Last Cigar Smoked: PDR 1878 Reserva Dominicana Capa Oscura
MegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glasses
Uh, the '09 motor mounts completely different than the '07.
New motor is good, but I think they're blowing happy smoke up your ass on it being '09 config.
I've been wrong before, though...

http://sherlynpopelka.net/

Revelation 19:11
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse;
and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True,
and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

*Usual manly disclaimer applies, if applicable.
Old 06-23-2009, 02:42 PM
Hmmm...

Serg06 doesn't need a tube sockSerg06 doesn't need a tube sockSerg06 doesn't need a tube sockSerg06 doesn't need a tube sockSerg06 doesn't need a tube sockSerg06 doesn't need a tube sockSerg06 doesn't need a tube sockSerg06 doesn't need a tube sockSerg06 doesn't need a tube sockSerg06 doesn't need a tube sockSerg06 doesn't need a tube sock
Your right about the 09 config. Lets hope they are not blowing smoke up his butt.

Old 06-23-2009, 02:45 PM
A Delinquent by Birth

SLOWHOUND doesn't need a tube sockSLOWHOUND doesn't need a tube sockSLOWHOUND doesn't need a tube sockSLOWHOUND doesn't need a tube sockSLOWHOUND doesn't need a tube sockSLOWHOUND doesn't need a tube sockSLOWHOUND doesn't need a tube sockSLOWHOUND doesn't need a tube sockSLOWHOUND doesn't need a tube sockSLOWHOUND doesn't need a tube sockSLOWHOUND doesn't need a tube sock
It is the same config as my bike has just with all the upgraded bearings and stuff as the 09's have.

Old 06-23-2009, 03:00 PM
Excommunicated

Bofinn has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBofinn has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBofinn has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBofinn has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBofinn has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBofinn has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBofinn has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBofinn has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBofinn has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBofinn has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBofinn has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
How many miles on the old one? $1,000 might just be worth setting it to zero again...
Old 06-23-2009, 03:12 PM
A Delinquent by Birth

23000+ ON IT NOW,

Old 06-23-2009, 03:26 PM
Excommunicated

Get a new engine for a $1k is cool. But this sure scares me about Harley quality. My warranty is up in a couple days, I wish I could have rode it, for a full 2 years.

If my engine blew at 23k, I'd snap. I like to think I am strong enough, not to buy a BMW. Problem is cost a few grand to fix. Don't want to get rid of a bike you just put $$$ into. You would want to get crank welded and trued or replaced, and timken conversion.
Old 06-23-2009, 03:35 PM
Bard of the 43 Words

Last Cigar Smoked: 5 Vegas Miami
TimmyD can happily embrace the suckTimmyD can happily embrace the suckTimmyD can happily embrace the suckTimmyD can happily embrace the suckTimmyD can happily embrace the suckTimmyD can happily embrace the suckTimmyD can happily embrace the suckTimmyD can happily embrace the suckTimmyD can happily embrace the suckTimmyD can happily embrace the suckTimmyD can happily embrace the suck
...should I be happy with my stock '02 88 ci?

...I guess so....
2003 FXD aka 'Wild Blue'
"Ask not what Doof Clenas can do for you, but what you can do for Doof Clenas." TimmyD (2006)

Old 06-23-2009, 03:58 PM
Double-D

Dsanchez is not in AOL's target demographicDsanchez is not in AOL's target demographicDsanchez is not in AOL's target demographicDsanchez is not in AOL's target demographicDsanchez is not in AOL's target demographicDsanchez is not in AOL's target demographicDsanchez is not in AOL's target demographicDsanchez is not in AOL's target demographicDsanchez is not in AOL's target demographicDsanchez is not in AOL's target demographicDsanchez is not in AOL's target demographic
'02

Your '02 is considered by some to be the best year !!

SLOWHOUND...you'll get a better cam plate assembly with the hydraulic cam shoe setup. Not sure about what bearing upgrades...the left bottom-end isn't Timken...which it should be. The cams use the needle rollers (I think thats what they are called) I switched mine to the Torrington B168s.
Is Ft Washington gonna build it or is it a factory re-built. If they are gonna build it you might have some say in doing it right ?! Get a better crank & fly wheel assembly along with the Timken bearing.

However it turns out ...I hope its right for you ! Good luck !

Old 06-23-2009, 04:01 PM
Excommunicated

if they rebuild it, I would pay extra for Timken. Think about having it welded and trued, what that costs or whats totally involved I am not sure. Be nice if they would just give you a credit and buy someone elses crank.
Old 06-23-2009, 04:36 PM
A Delinquent by Birth

Milwaukee will build it.

Old 06-23-2009, 04:56 PM
R.I.P.
<--- Captain Itch!

Red Rider has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowRed Rider has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowRed Rider has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowRed Rider has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowRed Rider has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowRed Rider has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowRed Rider has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowRed Rider has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowRed Rider has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowRed Rider has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowRed Rider has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
That's a pisser Wayne. Glad your getting a new moter, but shouldn't need to in the first place.

'Those people who will not be governed by God will be ruled by tyrants.' - William Penn

I want to live and ride free, unencumbered by all but God's love.
'06' FLSTNI, $43 per gallon!