Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > Engine & Transmission
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Old 10-21-2008, 04:10 PM
The Cisco Kid

Last Cigar Smoked: Backwoods Mild - Honey Berry
TJ Willy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTJ Willy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTJ Willy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTJ Willy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTJ Willy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTJ Willy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTJ Willy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTJ Willy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTJ Willy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTJ Willy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTJ Willy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Clacking/pinging/rattling noise.

I have been monitoring this problem for a while trying all the usual gas remedies.

After the bike warms up but BEFORE it gets real hot I get a lifter type rattling noise audible under load above 3k rpms... That is under a load - shifting through the gears.

Revving the engine in neutral rarely produces the same effect.

I have run maybe 35 tanks of gas through since I have noticed the problem. I know that sounds like a long time, but it is not for me and this bike. I tried a different station, I tried 87 plus HD booster, I tried 92 plus HD booster, I tried 93 and no booster... several tanks at each trial.

In the end, it does the same thing.

Also and not sure if this is related, but at idle, a quick snap on the throttle produces a sucking sound and delay in substantial rpms. Like she is a second late in reacting to the throttle twist. Only happens at steady idle.

Help?????

Old 10-21-2008, 04:11 PM
The Cisco Kid

TJ Willy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTJ Willy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTJ Willy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTJ Willy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTJ Willy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTJ Willy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTJ Willy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTJ Willy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTJ Willy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTJ Willy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTJ Willy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Ohhh.... for those unsure...

2007 FLHTC - 96" stocker with Basani slip-ons and in that configuration for about 12k miles.

15,200 miles - Mobile 1 V-Twin Syn.
Old 10-21-2008, 04:38 PM
Excommunicated

LittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suck
Check the throttle body butterfly on the shaft. See if it is loose.
Check for intake leaks.
Check you header flanges to make sure they are tight.
Kick the pipes and make sure all heat shields are tight. They should not rattle. Best to do this when and where you will not leave a boot mark on a hot pipe.
Check for any exhaust leaks at the muffler to header connection.
Check your front motor mount.
Old 10-21-2008, 04:39 PM
gAZINTa-Delinquent

Last Cigar Smoked: Banana pudding after some baby back ribs
jasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
If it really is pinging, then check for an intake leak. If it only sounds like lifter noise then I'd bet exhaust leak at the heads.

Separated at birth? You decide
Old 10-21-2008, 04:49 PM
The Cisco Kid

Thanks both of you.

I do have a baffle rattle and know what that sounds like. This is definitely internal.

I need to do some work on my exhaust as well.

Will check the header taughtness.

Oh by the way, the had to replace all four lifters at 10 miles when I first picked the bike up. But you could hear it at low idle then.
Old 10-21-2008, 05:49 PM
gAZINTa-Delinquent

jasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ Willy View Post
Thanks both of you.

I do have a baffle rattle and know what that sounds like. This is definitely internal.

I need to do some work on my exhaust as well.

Will check the header taughtness.

Oh by the way, the had to replace all four lifters at 10 miles when I first picked the bike up. But you could hear it at low idle then.
Whatever you have making noise is load related, so I'd look to exhaust or parts rubbing due to the engine torquing under load first.

Joe

Old 10-21-2008, 05:51 PM
gAZINTAs

Hodawwg doesn't need a tube sockHodawwg doesn't need a tube sockHodawwg doesn't need a tube sockHodawwg doesn't need a tube sockHodawwg doesn't need a tube sockHodawwg doesn't need a tube sockHodawwg doesn't need a tube sockHodawwg doesn't need a tube sockHodawwg doesn't need a tube sockHodawwg doesn't need a tube sockHodawwg doesn't need a tube sock
crank.. runout???

Old 10-21-2008, 05:54 PM
gAZINTa-Delinquent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodawwg View Post
crank.. runout???
Shhhh, don't say that.

Old 10-21-2008, 05:56 PM
gAZINTAs

Hodawwg doesn't need a tube sockHodawwg doesn't need a tube sockHodawwg doesn't need a tube sockHodawwg doesn't need a tube sockHodawwg doesn't need a tube sockHodawwg doesn't need a tube sockHodawwg doesn't need a tube sockHodawwg doesn't need a tube sockHodawwg doesn't need a tube sockHodawwg doesn't need a tube sockHodawwg doesn't need a tube sock
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasilva View Post
Shhhh, don't say that.

Check it before it is to late.

Old 10-21-2008, 06:11 PM
The Cisco Kid

I have no clue what a crank run out is.. but if it occurs on a one year old bike with 15k then the dealer can fix it.

I have grill duty tonight... so it may have to "rest" in the garage till tomorrow evening.

I need to shake the dust off the DS bike anyway.
Old 10-22-2008, 07:39 AM
Obsolete Doof Prospect

ridingjerry is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withridingjerry is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withridingjerry is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withridingjerry is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withridingjerry is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withridingjerry is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withridingjerry is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withridingjerry is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withridingjerry is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withridingjerry is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withridingjerry is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
If you think it is pinging, then it may be to a lean condition.
Gotta make sure the injectors are working correctly.

Might have to do a dyno run and monitor the A/F ratio to see if it is
leaning out. Then check the suspects in the fuel system.

otherwise, I vote for lifters.

Introducing the Al Gore engine

Obsolete Doof
1998 Obsolete Springer Rider
Part time Shovel Rider
Some time XLCH Kicker

Old 10-22-2008, 07:56 AM
Double-D

Dsanchez is not in AOL's target demographicDsanchez is not in AOL's target demographicDsanchez is not in AOL's target demographicDsanchez is not in AOL's target demographicDsanchez is not in AOL's target demographicDsanchez is not in AOL's target demographicDsanchez is not in AOL's target demographicDsanchez is not in AOL's target demographicDsanchez is not in AOL's target demographicDsanchez is not in AOL's target demographicDsanchez is not in AOL's target demographic
No fuel management ?

From your earlier post & looking at your public profile I don't see a mention of fuel management...power commander, SERT, Thundermax, DTT, etc.

I have a 07 FLHTC & this is the 1st bike that I really needed it. I'm using a power commander III usb. This is my 6th HD....I always got by with the "dealer download".

Mine pinged (detonation) under load....usually up hill or when I rollled quickly on the throttle. I fixed the problem immediately with the PC.

If you haven't already....you may also consider adding the IDS. It won't fix the ping but it does make it smoother.

....just sayin

Old 10-22-2008, 10:36 AM
The Cisco Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsanchez View Post
From your earlier post & looking at your public profile I don't see a mention of fuel management...power commander, SERT, Thundermax, DTT, etc.

I have a 07 FLHTC & this is the 1st bike that I really needed it. I'm using a power commander III usb. This is my 6th HD....I always got by with the "dealer download".

Mine pinged (detonation) under load....usually up hill or when I rollled quickly on the throttle. I fixed the problem immediately with the PC.

If you haven't already....you may also consider adding the IDS. It won't fix the ping but it does make it smoother.

....just sayin
Yep - Your right. Stock for the most part. And I installed the IDS this spring and it was a GREAT mod.

The HD is in my garage, awaiting me to go over the checklist folks have provided here... if none of that fixes it, to the dealer she goes.
Old 10-22-2008, 12:19 PM
Excommunicated

LittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suck
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ Willy View Post
Yep - Your right. Stock for the most part. And I installed the IDS this spring and it was a GREAT mod.

The HD is in my garage, awaiting me to go over the checklist folks have provided here... if none of that fixes it, to the dealer she goes.
So you can be told, "They all do that"

Good luck Phil, I hope you find it.
Old 10-22-2008, 12:47 PM
The Cisco Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBear View Post
So you can be told, "They all do that"

Good luck Phil, I hope you find it.
Sounds right....

Thanks bro. Maybe with this bad weather we are having, I can get in the garage this evening and put a wrench to it.