Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > Engine & Transmission
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Old 04-18-2010, 06:50 PM
Breaker of Stuff

Last Cigar Smoked: 601 La Bomba
Bone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Clutch cable routing

Would one of you fine, upstanding members of Bagger Nation please take a picture or two, and describe in graphic detail the journey your clutch cable takes from the transmission to the lever? Mine is dead-assed wrong, and I'd like to remove the outer fairing just one more time this year while I correct it.

Thanks.

Make Doof Clenas Fun Again (MDCFA)

Old 04-18-2010, 06:56 PM
grapenutless

Last Cigar Smoked: none of your danged business
y2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
you want me to call you....
who's to blame in 2014?
OH THIS IS SO NOODLES FAULT
Chitty Chitty

Old 04-18-2010, 06:59 PM
Breaker of Stuff

Bone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kflhr View Post
you want me to call you....
Only if you talk dirty to me.....I've been drinking.

Let's talk tomorrow night, when I'll be somewhat coherent and I'll remember the conversation.

Old 04-18-2010, 07:02 PM
grapenutless

y2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
and I won't be sofa king tired and lazy that I don't wanna go out to the garage and take pictures
who's to blame in 2014?
Chitty Chitty

Old 04-18-2010, 07:05 PM
Breaker of Stuff

It's nice when we're in sync like this.

Old 04-18-2010, 07:10 PM
grapenutless

like I told the boy....brothers from another mother....
who's to blame in 2014?
Chitty Chitty

Old 04-18-2010, 07:14 PM
Breaker of Stuff

He got his first bike today. Well, with the training wheels, it's technically a quad, but still.....

I need to go take him for his first tattoo.

Old 04-18-2010, 07:24 PM
Amsoil Site Sponsor
Double-D

Geezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Out of the lever.
Thru the inner
Thru the hole in the left fairing brace
Out the bottom of the fairing
IN FRONT OF the crash bar
Cross from left to right.
Wire tie to the RIGHT down leg of the frame, below the cross brace (If yours has one of those)
Along the frame, between the engine and frame
Up into the tranny door

Meng

TKWSV

Old 04-18-2010, 07:26 PM
Breaker of Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezer-Glide View Post
Out of the lever.
Thru the inner
Thru the hole in the left fairing brace
Out the bottom of the fairing
IN FRONT OF the crash bar
Cross from left to right.
Wire tie to the RIGHT down leg of the frame, below the cross brace (If yours has one of those)
Along the frame, between the engine and frame
Up into the tranny door
I'll make sure I read this again tomorrow.

Thanks Steve.

Old 04-19-2010, 02:33 PM
Breaker of Stuff

Now I'm pissed.

Took the fairing off for what I'd hoped was the last time for a long time, and pulled the clutch cable through to get it re-routed. When I took the tension out of the cable, what you see in the picture below happened. I'm guessing that the cable sheathing isn't supposed to not be attached to the adjuster housing. Anyone ever run into this before? I'm assuming I need to replace the cable, but I'd really rather not.

On top of that, I pulled the derby cover to adjust the clutch, and some orangutan put so much torque on the lock nut that I can't break the damn thing free with a wrench (but I can round off a corner with it). No problem, I've got an 11/16" deep socket somewhere. Oh no I don't, that's in the set that my former father in law stole from me when my ex was holding all my stuff hostage.

And I still can't figure out the damn routing of the cable.

Up the right down tube, in front of the crash bar, then into the fairing......where? I'm guessing it goes on the left side of the steering head, but I'll be damned if I can figure it out. No matter where I put the thing, it's either rubbing on something or getting pinched by the triple tree. Depending on how it goes, I'm convinced that I can use a shorter cable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo-1.jpg (130.2 KB, 54 views)

Old 04-19-2010, 02:42 PM
The Other Founder
President for Life
Double-D

Last Cigar Smoked: PDR 1878 Reserva Dominicana Capa Oscura
MegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glasses
The tripple tree pinches it against the frame at full lock in the factory routed position.

http://sherlynpopelka.net/

Revelation 19:11
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse;
and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True,
and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

*Usual manly disclaimer applies, if applicable.
Old 04-19-2010, 02:49 PM
Natural born delinquent

RKotter is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withRKotter is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withRKotter is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withRKotter is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withRKotter is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withRKotter is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withRKotter is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withRKotter is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withRKotter is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withRKotter is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withRKotter is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
Russ,

Can't help you with the routing, by my clutch cable rubbed at the forks where there was a retainer clip. I used a short piece of double-walled heat shrink and deformed the clip. The heat shrink was wide enough to get over the lever end of the cable cause I'm lazy and I didn't feel like pulling off the exhaust to get to the other end. It's pretty tough and holding up well.

I got bunches of it left if you think it might work for you. I aslo have a piece of clear I got from Magnum, but you'd need to put it on from the tranny end of the cable.

Being at the adjuster might present difficulties.?.?

~ Royal Order of Knights d'Catnip ~

E PLURIBUS DOOFUM
Old 04-19-2010, 02:50 PM
grapenutless

makes me wanna stay stock
who's to blame in 2014?
Chitty Chitty

Old 04-19-2010, 03:20 PM
Breaker of Stuff

Quote:
It's times like these that make me say the same thing.

I guess I'm gonna need a new cable, hopefully someone locally has them in stock. The new ones come with a piece of shrink tubing, so I'm good there Tim. Dave, if it pinches in the stock routing then I think I can figure out the routing, but I'd still like for someone to clarify how it goes up into the fairing. All that being the case, I think I can go with a 2" shorter cable, which should make things a bit simpler.

But the lock nut on the clutch has me stumped. When I tried to take it off, the whole clutch assembly (and I'm assuming the engine) were turning. How in the hell do you get the damn thing off?

Old 04-19-2010, 03:21 PM
Double-D

Last Cigar Smoked: Fuentes Fuentes Opus X Le Chateau
J.A.F.O. has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowJ.A.F.O. has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowJ.A.F.O. has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowJ.A.F.O. has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowJ.A.F.O. has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowJ.A.F.O. has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowJ.A.F.O. has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowJ.A.F.O. has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowJ.A.F.O. has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowJ.A.F.O. has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowJ.A.F.O. has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:

My thoughts exactly.

Mufflers
A/C
Shocks and springs
Computer reprogramming..or whatever it's called.

And that is it.