Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > Ask The Techs...
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Ask The Techs... This is the way it works. Post up your question in the appropriate Forum, then put a link to it here. We'll ask some very savvy folks to monitor the posts here and answer your question. If you are a Tech answering a question, please do it in the linked thread rather than here. In this way, we can build info in the appropriate Forum. Thanks.

Old 11-22-2008, 11:45 PM
Doof Clenas Member

Type O is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withType O is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withType O is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withType O is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withType O is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withType O is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withType O is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withType O is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withType O is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withType O is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withType O is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
Cam suggestions please

I'm going to change the cam in the evo to get a little more poop hear is whats been done

bore 30 over KB pistons
S/E heads
high lift roller rockers
s&s super e carb
Andrews ez install push rods
Andrews ev27 cam
true duels
Vance & Hines slip ons
twin tech ignition system
i think i got it all ,i hope i got it all so i can get the best opinion

Russ

doofs at the beach

Old 11-24-2008, 08:54 AM
Obsolete Doof Prospect

ridingjerry is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withridingjerry is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withridingjerry is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withridingjerry is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withridingjerry is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withridingjerry is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withridingjerry is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withridingjerry is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withridingjerry is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withridingjerry is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withridingjerry is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
First, don't listen to me cause I'm ignorant.

Now, you need a cam that will work with your build, ie the compression.
The SE heads have a smaller combustion chamber than the stock heads.
It would be nice to have some build numbers like the squish, gasket thickness, and chamber volume.
Since you do know the present cam, giving the cranking compression will be helpful. I suspect we could back trace and guess some numbers.

I would suggest calling the cam vender's tech lines, tell them what you have and what you are looking for.

I ran a V thunder 5010 in my obsolete evo (with standard heads) and it was great fun. The next step up in that line has even better numbers.

Your biggest question will be if you want torque on the bottom end (for riding)
or power on the top end for dragging. This will determine what you want in a cam.
The Wood W6 is one of the most popular out there. I also like the V thunder
cams.

Do the compression test, as you will get asked when you call.

Introducing the Al Gore engine

Obsolete Doof
1998 Obsolete Springer Rider
Part time Shovel Rider
Some time XLCH Kicker

Old 11-24-2008, 09:32 AM
GazintA

TerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milk
I'd have a lot of questions as well. Assuming the heads are set up for the stock 72cc, using a .030" head gasket, cylinder bore 3.528", 4.25 stroke and 7.440" connecting rod length. You'd want a cam that had an intake close of 33° for 190 psi cold cranking pressure and 44° for 180PSI.

The earlier close will help low end grunt. The later close will move the power band up. You can mill the heads to raise compression on the later closing cams, although 180psi is still high enough you won't be a slouch.

Engine by Otto.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:40 AM
not Lady G, but....

route66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
You will have to bring that CCP up to at least 170. Where its at now to waaaay too low.

"The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws." (Tacitus, Roman historian 55-117 A.D.)

Original 43%er

CAT HERDER GORGE CROSSER SKYLINE

My buddy!
Old 11-24-2008, 01:27 PM
Public Doofender

Highmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milk
Hydraulic.

Did you know I liked Bobbers?

Old 11-24-2008, 09:06 PM
Doof Clenas Member

Type O is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withType O is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withType O is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withType O is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withType O is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withType O is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withType O is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withType O is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withType O is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withType O is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withType O is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highmiles View Post
Hydraulic.
yep defenently

Russ

doofs at the beach

Old 11-24-2008, 09:16 PM
Doof Clenas Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryMiller View Post
I'd have a lot of questions as well. Assuming the heads are set up for the stock 72cc, using a .030" head gasket, cylinder bore 3.528", 4.25 stroke and 7.440" connecting rod length. You'd want a cam that had an intake close of 33° for 190 psi cold cranking pressure and 44° for 180PSI.

The earlier close will help low end grunt. The later close will move the power band up. You can mill the heads to raise compression on the later closing cams, although 180psi is still high enough you won't be a slouch.
paul and i did a compresion test on my bike and it was 100 psi i belevi if my mery sers me rite . shes no sloutch now iv been know to eat up a few of the newer bikes that are stock off the show room floor .but id like some more ass kicken power out of it .thev 27 cam wasnt that big of a cam ,i think for a stage two bike its fine but for what iv done i should have done a biger cam i will look up the cap specs and print them out

Russ

doofs at the beach

Old 11-24-2008, 09:39 PM
GazintA

TerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milk
It's more than 100 PSI.

For more cam andrews makes the EV46 for stock springs.

With some head work and new springs the HQ-0023 looks good. LittleBear is much more informed about headquarters cams than I am.

http://www.head-quarters-usa.com/camshaftsevo.html

Engine by Otto.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:24 PM
Excommunicated

LittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suck
Quote:
It's more than 100 PSI.

With some head work and new springs the HQ-0023 looks good. LittleBear is much more informed about headquarters cams than I am.

I am running the HQ-0029 cam. It pulls hard down low all the way up. I like it. The timing still gives a lot of low end.
SE heads are designed for 9.5:1 CR. The issues you will have going to .580 lift is the valve springs and lifter block clearance. Unless the valve springs were tested for the .580 lift, you can not be sure they can take it. The ones in my original SE heads were rated that high, but were actually only good to .570 lift. I had to put in S&S sprigs to get me to .580 lift.
Stock lifter block can not handle the lift either. They will either have to be machined or changed out to S&S which are already rated for the lift.
The one Terry suggested would work on a lighter bike. I like the 29 because I run loaded a lot and want pull for passing and hills. More of a touring cam than a hot rod cam.
Old 11-27-2008, 12:28 AM
Doof Clenas Member

FOUND THESE CAMS ON EBAY

N.O.S. (New Old Stock) S&S 561 CAM FOR EVOLUTION STYLE ENGINE For motors with up to 10:1 compression. Very good mid-range performance. Works with hydraulic tappets. Requires high-lift springs.

S&S cams are tested on the dyno, street and track before being offered to the public. With hundreds of hours of testing on each cam, you know you are getting the best cam S&S can produce. NOTE: Installer must check coil bind, valve-to-valve clearance and cam lobe to case clearance.

This cam is new old stock, it is in excellent condition. Never ran, never installed. It's in new condition in the original package. S&S Part#33-5076

.560" lift 252 int./256 exhaust duration Retail price on this cam new is $175.95

NEW IN BOX!!!

Andrews EV-51 Cam 84-99 Harley EVO

28 44 256 .510

49 22

Easy Installed with longer duration for modified street engines with hydraulic lifters.

Retails @ $178.00

Timing Duration Valve Lift T.D.C
60/28 268 302 0.560 0.230
291172 EV72 30/54 264 298 0.560 0.246 Hi-Lift Upgraded EV7, for 92 in. + street motors. For use with Andrews springs and titanium collars. Very broad power band, 2800-6000 RPM. OK for hydraulic lifters.
60/28 268 302 0.560 0.230

im leaning towards the ev 72 what do you think.my valve springs are rated for a590 lif i think but ill need to have them checked to make sure got to remeber i have high lift roller rockers to there rated at .675. i also have the scremin eagle heads like little bear

Russ

doofs at the beach

Old 11-27-2008, 11:25 AM
not Lady G, but....

route66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
Quote:
It's more than 100 PSI.

It is about 110. we checked cold with WOT! i suspect that there is a problem, but the engine runs as well as a stock 88. The funny thing is that BOTH cylinders where low.

"The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws." (Tacitus, Roman historian 55-117 A.D.)

Original 43%er

CAT HERDER GORGE CROSSER SKYLINE

My buddy!
Old 11-27-2008, 11:33 AM
Doof Clenas Member

whats this cold compression test about an engine doesn't seal all the way until it is warmed up so there for you will get a lower com.reading . and with the throttle closed sure aint much of a fair test is it

Russ

doofs at the beach

Old 11-27-2008, 11:42 AM
Smoker of Tires

Crabby Appleton is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withCrabby Appleton is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withCrabby Appleton is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withCrabby Appleton is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withCrabby Appleton is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withCrabby Appleton is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withCrabby Appleton is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withCrabby Appleton is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withCrabby Appleton is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withCrabby Appleton is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withCrabby Appleton is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
Why would ya use Roller Rockers with an EV27 cam???
Old 11-27-2008, 11:52 AM
Doof Clenas Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwilks View Post
Why would ya use Roller Rockers with an EV27 cam???
i think you mean ev 72 .less friction and restriction on moving parts .helps with temp and of engine and engine performance

Russ

doofs at the beach

Old 11-27-2008, 12:11 PM
Smoker of Tires

Crabby Appleton is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withCrabby Appleton is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withCrabby Appleton is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withCrabby Appleton is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withCrabby Appleton is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withCrabby Appleton is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withCrabby Appleton is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withCrabby Appleton is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withCrabby Appleton is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withCrabby Appleton is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withCrabby Appleton is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
Quote:
Originally Posted by HARLET View Post
i think you mean ev 72 .less friction and restriction on moving parts .helps with temp and of engine and engine performance
naww....I know what they do (got em in my bike...650 lift cam)...in your original post you have EV27 cam...ya dont need em with that low of lift....jus sayin