Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > Ask The Techs...
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Ask The Techs... This is the way it works. Post up your question in the appropriate Forum, then put a link to it here. We'll ask some very savvy folks to monitor the posts here and answer your question. If you are a Tech answering a question, please do it in the linked thread rather than here. In this way, we can build info in the appropriate Forum. Thanks.

Old 07-10-2007, 04:02 PM
Excommunicated

Berserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girl
Installing cooler with oil in

Oil is out of bike right now
My HD oil cooler is still on back order, supposed to have shipped, maybe get here tomorrow. Got small trip tomorrow. So thinking f saying screw it.

Can I install the oil cooler with the oil in? Just replace the filter and top off? Going to need to add some anyways cause of cooler.

Will I have a big mess or will it be the same as a regular oil change?
Old 07-10-2007, 04:06 PM
Excommunicated

LittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suck
Should be no problem, oil is below filter level and no More than a regular filter change of a mess should be made.
Old 07-10-2007, 04:43 PM
Excommunicated

Berserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girl
Thats kinda what I thought. Was sure if oil would be trapped in heads are start going down.

Think I am going to try it. Gt job 200 miles away tomorrow and I want to put some miles on the new bike. Doing 1k right now.

Might now hurt t put bike on lift and raise just the front end.

I got a problem with the Ultra I can;t the back end to lift nice. Have t put the lift underneath the rear cross frame. On FLHR I put it in front of it. I tried moving bike all over the garage, same thing. Front comes up right away, probably just have to jack it up that way.

My Road King, front comes up first but not as much. I just figured it was cause all the tools in the bags. But I emptied Ultra. Though fairing would have brought it down a little too.

Rambling.
Old 07-10-2007, 06:27 PM
Excommunicated

Got it jacked up now. Seems ok, maybe I was just crazy from the heat. Does take longer to get the back to rise. But so does my other bike.
Old 07-10-2007, 06:30 PM
Excommunicated

Why does the stock filter mount have two plugs? Oil temp? I got excited thinking it was for cooler, but picture of the product looks the same. but it does same 07 and later, not sure why.
Old 07-10-2007, 06:42 PM
Excommunicated

LittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suck
I believe it is for the cooler, but I have never installed one, so please let us know after you get it.
Old 07-10-2007, 08:55 PM
Excommunicated

The cooler says for 07 and newer. But it shows a seperate base. The description says new easier to install. So wait and see.
Old 07-11-2007, 10:35 PM
Hangaround

fatbobrob is not in AOL's target demographicfatbobrob is not in AOL's target demographicfatbobrob is not in AOL's target demographicfatbobrob is not in AOL's target demographicfatbobrob is not in AOL's target demographicfatbobrob is not in AOL's target demographicfatbobrob is not in AOL's target demographicfatbobrob is not in AOL's target demographicfatbobrob is not in AOL's target demographicfatbobrob is not in AOL's target demographicfatbobrob is not in AOL's target demographic
not me

i would not put old oil through a new cooler,bad karma.
Old 07-11-2007, 11:00 PM
Excommunicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbobrob View Post
i would not put old oil through a new cooler,bad karma.
Joking right???
Old 07-12-2007, 12:46 AM
gAZINTa - Delinquent

dynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milk
Ain't that old is it? he just changed it!

Cloudrider 2010
Former Original Doof
Creator of the 43 & 7 hand signs...
Original Cat Herder KC.
Old 07-12-2007, 10:47 PM
Excommunicated

250 miles on it now, another 200 before I get home. Still now call about it coming in. Don't know if the guy to lazy to call or still back ordered. I emailed salesman, I bought it with the bike, over a week ago, he hasn't even got back to me. The parts guy, just gives me a blank stare.

But unless the oil was very old, I don't think it would bother me, after all I am running it through my engine.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:36 PM
Excommunicated

Kept dribling oil longer then normal. Maybe oil coming down from the heads?

Anybody else who installed one, think the instructions were a little off for the cable routing?

The oil filter mounting plate for the 07 is differant then my 01. The 01 just had arms that went from bottom of cooler to studs. The 07 has a plate that covers the entire bottom area between cooler and bike. You would think would restrict air. But probably not enough to matter.

But instrcutcon say to to leave p clips for cables on the bike, below the cooler. Well with the solid plate I don't think you could run the cables. So I am putting between the plate and volt reg.

07 reg has connectors on bottom. My cycle electric volt reg has bolted conenctions. While I like the boled connections, this looks like it would keep it from getting dirty.

Also when installing this, you got reg off. Good time to do a good job checking motor mounts.

I hope the volt regs have gotten better. But seeing how they made them easier to change out, makes me nervous.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:36 PM
Excommunicated

This is my 2nd time installing one, and I still had to scrath my head figuring out how the gasket goes. You would think the two smaller openings in the gasket would be for the flanges that stick out of the cooler adpater base. But no. They fit over the opening on oil filter mount, on the engine.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:37 PM
Excommunicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBear View Post
I believe it is for the cooler, but I have never installed one, so please let us know after you get it.
Turns out those plugs are from where they drilled passages into the filter mounting base, on the engine. Atleast that is what I was told.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:05 PM
Excommunicated

A nice simple job, done in couple hours, nope. First spend hour rechecking engine mounts. Then spend hour staring at gasket, come in the house to do that, while watching TV.

Then spend another hour looking at cable routes. In reality over thining. Clamp the cables and be done with it. Keep an eye on them.

Got to get up early, will do that tomorrow. Supposed to rain anyways.