Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > Suspension
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Suspension Shocks, Forks, Front Ends, Stabilizers, etc...

Old 01-01-2009, 09:10 PM
gAZINTAs

majikman has failed to amuse us
Low Profile Road King Shocks Affect Ride?

I just installed a set of HD low profile shocks on my Road King. They are stock on RK Custom and Street Glide. My question....I was riding today and the front end seemed lighter at speeds above 65 mph. Is this to be expected?

Thanks

Old 01-01-2009, 09:18 PM
Excommunicated

Berserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girl
Not sure. You lowered back end, but not front. Shocks are blown on my 01, will be going with progressives. IMO buy from shock people. But I haven't tried them yet. Planning on replacing front end at same time.

You did change geometry by doing this. The effect duno.
Old 01-01-2009, 09:48 PM
gAZINTa-Delinquent

Last Cigar Smoked: Banana pudding after some baby back ribs
jasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Did you put some air in them? Normally lowering the rear should make the bike seem more stable at speed and increase your turning circle slightly. Your effectively increasing the rake on the front end by lowering the rear.

Separated at birth? You decide
Old 01-01-2009, 10:45 PM
gAZINTa-Delinquent

genoway doesn't need a tube sockgenoway doesn't need a tube sockgenoway doesn't need a tube sockgenoway doesn't need a tube sockgenoway doesn't need a tube sockgenoway doesn't need a tube sockgenoway doesn't need a tube sockgenoway doesn't need a tube sockgenoway doesn't need a tube sockgenoway doesn't need a tube sockgenoway doesn't need a tube sock
I put the 12" Progressive 440HD on mine and it seemed to improve the ride.

The front did get real light after boring jugs, porting heads and putting in torque cams though. Sometimes even airborn.

Old 01-02-2009, 12:11 AM
Excommunicated

Berserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girl
Funny how that works. Get rid of the Harley parts, and front end gets squirelly.
Old 01-02-2009, 07:20 AM
Known Associate

susqy doesn't need a tube socksusqy doesn't need a tube socksusqy doesn't need a tube socksusqy doesn't need a tube socksusqy doesn't need a tube socksusqy doesn't need a tube socksusqy doesn't need a tube socksusqy doesn't need a tube socksusqy doesn't need a tube socksusqy doesn't need a tube socksusqy doesn't need a tube sock
But does the ride suffer? My discs are shot.
Old 01-02-2009, 07:29 AM
Excommunicated

I hyave heard people saying lowering a bike will do that. Only do it if you have too. I bought my FLHR with the lowering kit. Which is stock shocks, with brackets to shift the shock back. Changing geometry. When I got my FLHTCU, I was like wow the differnce. But the shock is pretty much shot and new bike had two new tires.

Two new tires does make a heck of difference too.

I talked with the Progressive guy at Sturgis, blew the shock on the way out. He said lowering kit was bad, and to buy lowered shock and lower front end. He claimed you could go down a little without it effecting ride. But he lsited a size that would effect it. Maybe 12.5, low as you can go. I can't rememebr.

Progressive are donkeys. I get to the tent at Sturgis, biggest bike event in the world. There prices are MSRP and they charge to put shocks on. They are out most sizes, getting more in tommorrow. I show around 10-11, they are all out. Two lifts just sittign there. WTF its Sturgis, I would think you would have a semi load of them.

I even told the guy I can get them alot cheaper on the internet thenwhat your charging, but I wanted it now.

I was getting some rubbing over 85, bike loaded bear. Especially on I90 in MN. Lousy road.
Old 01-02-2009, 07:30 AM
Excommunicated

Moral of the story. If you got a bad back, only lower if you have to, and then only as much as you have to. My Corbin lowered me and help on FLHTCU. I will probably ower it someday though.
Old 01-02-2009, 07:35 AM
Known Associate

susqy doesn't need a tube socksusqy doesn't need a tube socksusqy doesn't need a tube socksusqy doesn't need a tube socksusqy doesn't need a tube socksusqy doesn't need a tube socksusqy doesn't need a tube socksusqy doesn't need a tube socksusqy doesn't need a tube socksusqy doesn't need a tube socksusqy doesn't need a tube sock
My roadking has stock shocks and police air ride seat which really put you up in the sky and make me pay attention when at slow speed but ride is good.
Old 01-02-2009, 07:45 AM
Excommunicated

I was disapointed that my FLHR shocks were pretty much blown around 54k. OIl coming out and unable to pump up. I am not a big guy, and I don't see that as alot of miles. Maybe I am wrong, maybe they are maintance item.
Old 01-02-2009, 07:50 AM
gAZINTa-Delinquent

genoway doesn't need a tube sockgenoway doesn't need a tube sockgenoway doesn't need a tube sockgenoway doesn't need a tube sockgenoway doesn't need a tube sockgenoway doesn't need a tube sockgenoway doesn't need a tube sockgenoway doesn't need a tube sockgenoway doesn't need a tube sockgenoway doesn't need a tube sockgenoway doesn't need a tube sock
Quote:
Originally Posted by genoway View Post
...The front did get real light after boring jugs, porting heads and putting in torque cams though. Sometimes even airborn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berserker View Post
Funny how that works. Get rid of the Harley parts, and front end gets squirelly.
Oh, so you are saying that Harley intentionally makes their bikes underpowered so they won't pop wheelies?

Old 01-02-2009, 08:09 AM
Excommunicated

No I am saying most HD riders are so old, that 65 feels to fast.
Old 01-02-2009, 09:00 AM
gAZINTa-Delinquent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berserker View Post
No I am saying most HD riders are so old, that 65 feels to fast.
Hmmm, that seems non sequitur.

as usual. keep up the good work.

Old 01-02-2009, 10:50 PM
Trash

Last Cigar Smoked: The one in the ash tray
noodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glasses
You keeping them?

®