Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > Suspension
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Suspension Shocks, Forks, Front Ends, Stabilizers, etc...

Old 03-10-2009, 11:57 AM
along came Blondie......

BigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sock
Progressive Drop in kits

Anyone have experience with them? Are they really able to be swapped with the forks still in place? Difficulties?

Thanks.

Swede

2009 Vivid Black Street Glide Ultra

RIP Diver, Bashful, Smitty, Clank, Johnny B, Fire46, Red Rider and Mongoose, GBNF

"It is foolish to mourn the men that died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived" -General George S. Patton, Jr.
Old 03-10-2009, 03:31 PM
Public Doofender

Highmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milk
Yes you can do it with the fork in place.
I have been known to make a new spacer that is an inch shorter, and accomplish the same thing for less than $2. The spacer is a tube, at the top of the fork, when you remove the cap. Get a piece of PVC pipe the same diameter, and cut it an inch shorter than the spacer. Save the spacer if you decide to go back stock.

Did you know I liked Bobbers?

Old 03-10-2009, 09:44 PM
along came Blondie......

BigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highmiles View Post
Yes you can do it with the fork in place.
I have been known to make a new spacer that is an inch shorter, and accomplish the same thing for less than $2. The spacer is a tube, at the top of the fork, when you remove the cap. Get a piece of PVC pipe the same diameter, and cut it an inch shorter than the spacer. Save the spacer if you decide to go back stock.
Very interesting. Thanks!

Why can't you swap the stock spring for an aftermarket one the same way? I mean, without using the drop in "kit"

2009 Vivid Black Street Glide Ultra

RIP Diver, Bashful, Smitty, Clank, Johnny B, Fire46, Red Rider and Mongoose, GBNF

"It is foolish to mourn the men that died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived" -General George S. Patton, Jr.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:26 PM
Public Doofender

Highmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milk
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
Very interesting. Thanks!

Why can't you swap the stock spring for an aftermarket one the same way? I mean, without using the drop in "kit"
You can, but here's the rest of the story. When you buy a "kit" the spring and spacer are engineered to give you "full" travel. The spring will compress an inch more, so in conjunction with the inch shorter spacer, you get full travel. In reality I have never lost more than a half inch of travel, by just shortening the spacer. The loss of travel is not noticeable, since how often do you bottom out your forks?

Did you know I liked Bobbers?