Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > Electrical Systems & Diagnostics
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Electrical Systems & Diagnostics Troubleshoot electrical problems here.

Old 07-27-2009, 09:31 PM
Double-D
Doof Gooner

Last Cigar Smoked: Bubble Gum
Redleg can happily embrace the suckRedleg can happily embrace the suckRedleg can happily embrace the suckRedleg can happily embrace the suckRedleg can happily embrace the suckRedleg can happily embrace the suckRedleg can happily embrace the suckRedleg can happily embrace the suckRedleg can happily embrace the suckRedleg can happily embrace the suckRedleg can happily embrace the suck
No charging voltage to battery

Figured out why my old battery crapped out on my saturday ride with BigTOE, no current to charge the battery.

After talking to a co-worker (and fellow rider) about what happened, he suggested that I break out the multimeter and make sure that there was a charge going to the battery.

Figured it should test ok, since I just had the voltage regulator replaced earlier this month. WRONG!!!

Battery before starting the bike - 12.9 V
Bike running at 3600 RPM - 3.4 V
After disconnecting - 3.4 V

I really hope it's the new Volt Reg that's failed and not the alternator. Really can't afford any new problems right now.

Thoughts, suggestions, words of encouragement?

"Every time I start thinking the world is all bad, then I start seeing some people out there having fun on motorcycles. It makes me take another look." -Steve McQueen
Old 07-27-2009, 09:41 PM
Excommunicated

Berserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girl
You can unplug the ac connector from the stator. An electrical serice manual will say how many AC volts per RPM, you should be reading. Somewhere around 05ish they went to 3 phase.

Bike should read about 14.4vdc at the battery when revving. About 12.7 when the bike is off.
Old 07-27-2009, 09:48 PM
Double-D
Doof Gooner

Last Cigar Smoked: Bubble Gum
Redleg can happily embrace the suckRedleg can happily embrace the suckRedleg can happily embrace the suckRedleg can happily embrace the suckRedleg can happily embrace the suckRedleg can happily embrace the suckRedleg can happily embrace the suckRedleg can happily embrace the suckRedleg can happily embrace the suckRedleg can happily embrace the suckRedleg can happily embrace the suck
Thanks Zerk. Will try disconnecting and measuring at the alternator connector to the regulator tomorrow after work.

"Every time I start thinking the world is all bad, then I start seeing some people out there having fun on motorcycles. It makes me take another look." -Steve McQueen
Old 07-27-2009, 09:50 PM
Excommunicated

Berserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girl
Don't touch your probes together with bike running. Its be a couple years since I did this. The stator side is probably female, so as not to have exposed hot pins.