Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > The Attic > Riding Stories and Adventures > Back In The Day!
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Back In The Day! Here's where the stories emit from the gasoline fumed memories of the old timers

Old 02-03-2008, 06:47 PM
GrayRider

Gene and the red pan

I met Gene while working at GM. I was riding a ‘75 FX and he owned a cb 750 H0nda. We became good friends and began to hang out together. Gene was one of the most fearless men that I’ve ever known. It didn’t seem like he was afraid of anything. He was loud and boisterious and didn’t seem to require much sleep. On motorcycle trips, he’d stay up all weekend while I would just eventually drop.

After riding with some of us for awhile, he decided that he wanted a Harley. One day, he rode up in my driveway on a beautiful candy apple red panhead. I can't remember what year it was, but I do remember the engine had been stroked and it had the loudest straight pipes that I’d ever heard. There were times that I’d hear him enter the plat that we lived in and I’d tell the AP, “Here comes Gene!”

Late one hot Summer night, he and I were out riding. Actually we were in Dayton bar hopping. We had been hitting some places in north Dayton and decided to head over to a couple of joints in the east end. Gene left the bar’s parking lot first heading south towards I-75 on Keowee St., making our way to the on ramp. This particular ramp was extremely short with a steep hill making a sharp right turn onto a curve on the highway. It was the scene of many accidents. Years later they added a stop sign at it’s end, but eventually just closed it altogether, for the sake of mankind.

Suddenly, Gene twisted the wick on the pan and it jumped forward in a burst of quickness. He hit the mouth of the treacherous ramp at breakneck speed, leaning the bike hard to the right and up the hill to the highway, increasing acceleration and jammin’ gears. I looked on in horror as I could see that both lanes of I-75 were filled with traffic and a tractor trailer in the right lane was on a collision course with Gene and the pan.

To my amazement, he never let off the throttle. The big rig, seeing what I was seeing, only with an up close and personal view, gave a long blast of his air horn! Without any hesitation whatsoever, Gene rounded the curve in the ramp and guided the motorcycle between the massive truck and the guardrail on the narrow bern then onto the highway...throttle wide open. After a few seconds I could only see the dim red glow of his tombstone taillight in the distance.

I finally caught up with him as he was pulling into the parking lot of an east end bar. He calmly parked and shut the pan down after a final rack of the straight pipes. Swinging his leg over the seat, he smiled, lit a cigarette and leaned up against his bike. “Man, I thought you were gonna get killed back there when you got on 75!” I gasped. “You scared the shit out of me, I just knew you were gonna hit that truck.. why didn’t you stop?”

“Ain’t got no brakes,” he answered. “What??...did they go out on the ramp?” I asked. Gene just smiled that great smile that he had and said, “Naw,..ain’t had none in a couple of weeks.”

Here I had been riding with this guy who had no brakes for weeks, and I never realized it. Apparently, he was downshifting and dragging his feet to stop.

I lost track of Gene years later. I visited him at the hospital once after he’d had a heart attack. Someone told me that he died in the 90’s. I never confirmed it. I liked Gene a lot. He was a hard livin’ guy that probably just burned out too early. But he always had a brother’s back and was a good friend to me. He was just a little crazy.
Old 02-03-2008, 07:16 PM
43rd Prophet

swmnkdinthervr can happily embrace the suckswmnkdinthervr can happily embrace the suckswmnkdinthervr can happily embrace the suckswmnkdinthervr can happily embrace the suckswmnkdinthervr can happily embrace the suckswmnkdinthervr can happily embrace the suckswmnkdinthervr can happily embrace the suckswmnkdinthervr can happily embrace the suckswmnkdinthervr can happily embrace the suckswmnkdinthervr can happily embrace the suckswmnkdinthervr can happily embrace the suck
Good story Gray...thanks for sharing it...I have bunches of stories but nearly all ended in a fight, jail or both ...it's nice to have mellowed some

I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations.
~James Madison, speech, Virginia Convention, 1788

Old 02-03-2008, 07:34 PM
R.I.P.
<--- Captain Itch!

Red Rider has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowRed Rider has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowRed Rider has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowRed Rider has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowRed Rider has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowRed Rider has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowRed Rider has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowRed Rider has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowRed Rider has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowRed Rider has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowRed Rider has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Your shorts (stories!) are entertaining Gray. Thanks for sharing them.

'Those people who will not be governed by God will be ruled by tyrants.' - William Penn

I want to live and ride free, unencumbered by all but God's love.
'06' FLSTNI, $43 per gallon!

Old 02-03-2008, 07:36 PM
Swiss Guard

phreak can happily embrace the suckphreak can happily embrace the suckphreak can happily embrace the suckphreak can happily embrace the suckphreak can happily embrace the suckphreak can happily embrace the suckphreak can happily embrace the suckphreak can happily embrace the suckphreak can happily embrace the suckphreak can happily embrace the suckphreak can happily embrace the suck
Good story
Old 02-03-2008, 07:48 PM
Yes, they are Real.......

harleyjsb doesn't need a tube sockharleyjsb doesn't need a tube sockharleyjsb doesn't need a tube sockharleyjsb doesn't need a tube sockharleyjsb doesn't need a tube sockharleyjsb doesn't need a tube sockharleyjsb doesn't need a tube sockharleyjsb doesn't need a tube sockharleyjsb doesn't need a tube sockharleyjsb doesn't need a tube sockharleyjsb doesn't need a tube sock
Good one,Gray...............

Keeper Of The Toast
2006 Post Whore Of The Year

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES; NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING, BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS........
Old 02-03-2008, 08:11 PM
Not just another pretty face

vafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milk
Good story Gray.
Old 02-03-2008, 10:48 PM
Public Doofender

Highmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milk
Love your stories Gray.
You have a way with words.

Did you know I liked Bobbers?

Old 02-03-2008, 11:52 PM
Double-D
Switzerland

Dinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
I don't think I knew Gene, but I rode with a couple of Gene's over the years.

April 13, 2016 -- The day Richard was speechless.

May your hands always be busy, May your feet always be swift.
May you have a strong foundation When the winds of changes shift.
May your heart always be joyful, and may your song always be sung,
May you stay forever young!
--Bob Dylan
Old 02-03-2008, 11:56 PM
gAZINTa - Delinquent

dynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milk
Thanx for sharing that story gray. I thought the guy was toast, but he made it.

Cloudrider 2010
Former Original Doof
Creator of the 43 & 7 hand signs...
Original Cat Herder KC.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:33 AM
Yes, they are Real.......

harleyjsb doesn't need a tube sockharleyjsb doesn't need a tube sockharleyjsb doesn't need a tube sockharleyjsb doesn't need a tube sockharleyjsb doesn't need a tube sockharleyjsb doesn't need a tube sockharleyjsb doesn't need a tube sockharleyjsb doesn't need a tube sockharleyjsb doesn't need a tube sockharleyjsb doesn't need a tube sockharleyjsb doesn't need a tube sock
Did somebody say......Toast????????????

Keeper Of The Toast
2006 Post Whore Of The Year

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES; NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING, BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS........
Old 02-04-2008, 06:57 AM
Double-D

why_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milk
Terrific story Gray. You definately have a way of making your story's very interesting. Can't wait for the next one.
"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid" - Gen Eisenhower.