Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > Engine & Transmission
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Old 11-06-2010, 07:14 AM
grapenutless

Last Cigar Smoked: none of your danged business
y2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
I'm with yolkum on this one
who's to blame in 2014?
OH THIS IS SO NOODLES FAULT
Chitty Chitty

Old 11-06-2010, 07:35 AM
Original Delinquent

Backroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scabbydoo View Post
Don't let Russ touch it.

That's usually my line.

Ed; drilling out the drains in the rockers is one item that did not get done on my bike. That said, I do get a little oil into the intake, but NEVER enough that it comes thru on the outside.

While it MAY reduce the amount, I would be more concerned about verifying the crank runout and addressing that if it shows as an issue. The problem is that if you find excessive run out, your then looking at a complete tear down. You might consider just pulling the cam plate/cams first to check runout. If you find it's above the limit, then I'd put it back together and have your warranty coverage fix it.

Kimber

Old 11-06-2010, 07:56 AM
Double-D

why_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backroad Mike View Post

That's usually my line.

Ed; drilling out the drains in the rockers is one item that did not get done on my bike. That said, I do get a little oil into the intake, but NEVER enough that it comes thru on the outside.

While it MAY reduce the amount, I would be more concerned about verifying the crank runout and addressing that if it shows as an issue. The problem is that if you find excessive run out, your then looking at a complete tear down. You might consider just pulling the cam plate/cams first to check runout. If you find it's above the limit, then I'd put it back together and have your warranty coverage fix it.
My intent was to verify runout and oil pump alignment more than anything, as these seem to be what has been mentioned the most when talking about the amount of oil I have coming out of the AC. If there isn't a problem there, then the drain holes would be the next suspect. The problem I have with that warranty coverage stuff is that I have no warranty. The bike is an 07 that I bought used with 166 miles on it. It had sat in the showroom for nearly 2 years with that amount of miles on it by the time I had purchased it. If the crank runout is out of spec (with my luck, I should plan on this) what am I looking at to get it fixed?

After reading the thread that Tim posted up, it seems that if I am going to be digging in as far as I would have to just to verify oil pump alignment and crank runout, even if everything checks out, I should probably think about cams, since I will be in that far anyways. Thoughts?
"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid" - Gen Eisenhower.
Old 11-06-2010, 08:06 AM
Bon vivant!

orbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Has anyone tried the S&S breather reed valve for the Twin Cam??

It's designed to eliminate oil carry-over and oil scavenging problems.

From what I've read, it's supposed to solve the problem Ed describes with his engine.

<clicky>

As an aside, I've been trying to research it but have found limited info....

Last edited by orbit; 11-06-2010 at 08:17 AM.
Old 11-06-2010, 08:28 AM
Under Construction

Last Cigar Smoked: Robert Burns Blackwatch, in the '70s
TalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by Why_Me View Post
Thoughts?
Tread lightly, Grasshopper. Only a few more bolts to this....

I would cam it. Dave's right, though, you will need a tune after that.
Somewhat dilapidated, yet functional, Kubota L2500
'20 Branson 3620
'18 Ram 3500 Diesel
'02 Wrangler X, 4" lift on 33 x 12.50s
Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140
Felt Nine 50
Killin' more bees than Monsanto
Old 11-06-2010, 08:32 AM
Under Construction

TalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbit View Post
Has anyone tried the S&S breather reed valve for the Twin Cam??

It's designed to eliminate oil carry-over and oil scavenging problems.

From what I've read, it's supposed to solve the problem Ed describes with his engine.

<clicky>

As an aside, I've been trying to research it but have found limited info....
I've always thought of those as bandaids. W/ an 07 bike, he's already got the pump that was supposed to solve all the problems. If it's puking oil like he says, sumpin' ain't rayhgt.
'20 Branson 3620
'18 Ram 3500 Diesel
Felt Nine 50
Old 11-06-2010, 08:36 AM
Double-D

why_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milk
Quote:
Originally Posted by TalonChief View Post
Tread lightly, Grasshopper. Only a few more bolts to this....

I would cam it. Dave's right, though, you will need a tune after that.
It needs a tune anyway. This winter I was planning on picking up a TTS unit to accomplish this so I can dump the download they gave me at the dealership when I did the stage one (I was too poor at the time to go with a full dyno tune like I knew I should have).

I'm sure I'll only have somewhere in the neighborhood of a thousand questions, mostly dumb one, over the course of this, should I decide to dig in.

Might just burn down my garage, claim vandalism, and get a new garage and new bikes out of the deal. It could go either way at this point.
"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid" - Gen Eisenhower.
Old 11-06-2010, 08:43 AM
Under Construction

Quote:
Might just burn down my garage, claim vandalism, and get a new garage and new bikes out of the deal. It could go either way at this point.
As LittleBear, I think, once said; "it ain't rocket science, it's a Harley." But, yeah, keep Russ away from it.
'20 Branson 3620
'18 Ram 3500 Diesel
Felt Nine 50
Old 11-06-2010, 08:47 AM
Original Delinquent

Backroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milk
Quote:
My intent was to verify runout and oil pump alignment more than anything, as these seem to be what has been mentioned the most when talking about the amount of oil I have coming out of the AC. If there isn't a problem there, then the drain holes would be the next suspect. The problem I have with that warranty coverage stuff is that I have no warranty. The bike is an 07 that I bought used with 166 miles on it. It had sat in the showroom for nearly 2 years with that amount of miles on it by the time I had purchased it. If the crank runout is out of spec (with my luck, I should plan on this) what am I looking at to get it fixed?

After reading the thread that Tim posted up, it seems that if I am going to be digging in as far as I would have to just to verify oil pump alignment and crank runout, even if everything checks out, I should probably think about cams, since I will be in that far anyways. Thoughts?
If your crank is out of speck, you have two choices. Send yours to darkhorse and get it fixed, trued and balanced, or buy a new S&S and call it good. I went the S&S route, didn't get balanced, but wish now I did. Main reason I went S&S is their out the door specs are .0005 or less guaranteed, and I was under time constraints to make ES 08. If I waited for darkhorse, we would not have made ES that year. However after two years and you know how I ride, the runout is still .0005, nearly perfect. Harley specs for my bike new was anything over .005 was a warranty issue, now they have relaxed that to .012.

Mine when we checked was .007 and I didn't have ANY symptoms. I know a few who had runout over .015 but were out of warranty.at the time, so they fixed it themselves.

If your thinking about cams, then you should also replace the inner cam bearings to torringtons as well. George has them on his site.

When we last did the work on my bike, we tried the new Screaming Eagle cam plate and oil pump. My bike did NOT like it. 70 miles and we yanked them for new stock stuff. If I went something different than stock, it would probably be fueling. Also, if you end up with a complete tear down, then you might also want to consider the timkin bearing for the left case. My .02 worth.

Kimber

Old 11-06-2010, 08:51 AM
Double-D
The Mechanic

d j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
I'm SOOO burned out on staying up to date on Cadillac Technical info, to do my job, as well as pulling wrenches 50 hours a week, that I completely shut out any idea of doing mods to my bike of any kind...ie: engine/trans/tune.

Sorry about preaching to others who want to improve their own machine.

My question is this, the amount of oil weeping out of the air box is obviously excessive. Not all or even a majority of 07 H-Ds have this issue. I can't believe the amount of repairs thrown out there would be needed to solve it. Does the MoCo have a TSB on this issue?

Old 11-06-2010, 09:01 AM
Breaker of Stuff

Last Cigar Smoked: 601 La Bomba
Bone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Here's my take.

If you have the space and the time to do the work, go for it. I would be very hesitant to try a project of that scope given that (as you've seen) I have nowhere to work.

I'd suggest checking your runout first. If it's within your target range, you've got no issues. If it isn't, it's decision time. I'm pretty sure Geezer split his own cases, so it's a doable project.

Assuming that your crank is within spec, you can make yourself a very nice 103 with Ebay and forum classified parts for not a lot of money. You'll have to find pistons, but you can have your jugs bored and honed locally. S/E heads show up regularly, as do 251 cams (though I'd search for a T-Man 590 myself). Since you'll be taking the top of the engine apart anyway, there's no need for adjustable pushrods.

The real question is whether or not you're comfortable tackling this. Knowing you as I do, there's no question in my mind you can handle it.

Oh, and Big Daddy Harley makes a really nice tool for getting the bolts out of the rocker covers.

With the exceptions of Geezer and TalonChief, there are very few guys who do as much work (successfully, I might add) on their bikes. So bite me bastages!

Make Doof Clenas Fun Again (MDCFA)

Old 11-06-2010, 09:04 AM
Original Delinquent

Quote:
Originally Posted by d j View Post
I'm SOOO burned out on staying up to date on Cadillac Technical info, to do my job, as well as pulling wrenches 50 hours a week, that I completely shut out any idea of doing mods to my bike of any kind...ie: engine/trans/tune.

Sorry about preaching to others who want to improve their own machine.

My question is this, the amount of oil weeping out of the air box is obviously excessive. Not all or even a majority of 07 H-Ds have this issue. I can't believe the amount of repairs thrown out there would be needed to solve it. Does the MoCo have a TSB on this issue?
I have seen a few, including FXR4Mikey's EVO. He eliminated it by installing a catch can sydtem to collect, then later empty. I saw oil down the side of his bike on more than one occasion, and this was after he did the build, verified runout and cam change.

Kimber

Old 11-06-2010, 09:04 AM
grapenutless

Last Cigar Smoked: none of your danged business
y2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
don't listen to russ...he's a bad man

oh and why do they call you..."why me"?
who's to blame in 2014?
OH THIS IS SO NOODLES FAULT
Chitty Chitty

Old 11-06-2010, 09:06 AM
Under Construction

Quote:
Originally Posted by d j View Post
W/ the new pump, it's likely either misaligned, or the crank runout has worn it to the point where it's not scavenging well. HD says realign the pump, but .012 runout that will wear the pump out is normal.

Everything else is just alcoholics offering free beer to the new kid.
'20 Branson 3620
'18 Ram 3500 Diesel
Felt Nine 50
Old 11-06-2010, 09:11 AM
Double-D
The Mechanic

d j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backroad Mike View Post
I have seen a few, including FXR4Mikey's EVO. He eliminated it by installing a catch can sydtem to collect, then later empty. I saw oil down the side of his bike on more than one occasion, and this was after he did the build, verified runout and cam change.
I saw the oil Mikey's bike was puking at ES. Way Too Much.