Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Specific Interest > Veterans
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Old 07-17-2011, 07:46 PM
Double-D

why_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milk
20 Years

20 Years ago today, I was a long haired maggot infested hippie looking 17 year old kid going into my first day of boot camp. I have small (very small) pangs of regret on occasion about not staying in until today and collecting retirement. I never regret going in, they were some of the best and worst 8 years of my life when I was there. To all those still serving, my hats off to you.
"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid" - Gen Eisenhower.
Old 07-17-2011, 07:51 PM
Doof Clenas Member

Last Cigar Smoked: Probably a Swisher Sweet
Ancient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suck
You know Ed, I'd really like to see a pic of you as a long haired hippy.

I can't imagine it.

Greg
Old 07-17-2011, 07:53 PM
Double-D

why_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milk
My mullet was magnificent!

"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid" - Gen Eisenhower.
Old 07-17-2011, 07:56 PM
Original Delinquent

Backroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milk
Staying for retirement was a very good decision for me. However, as an enlisted person, retiring at 20 years with 50%, or the 40% with the new plan sure doesn't leave much after taxes.

However, stay 28 years, get the extra annual raises, pluse 3 more promotions and retire with 70% of your base salary.. Now THAT was a Great decision.

Kimber

Old 07-17-2011, 08:03 PM
Double-D

Hell, Mike...there wasn't that much there before taxes.

Old 07-17-2011, 08:15 PM
Original Delinquent

Backroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Why_Me View Post
Hell, Mike...there wasn't that much there before taxes.

I hear ya.. If I would have retired as E-7 at 20 years, I was looking at about 1500-1600 a month BEFORE taxes were taken.

To get into the much better money, you need to stay past 20 and either make E-8/9, or go the Warrant/LDO route.. It's a BIG difference.

Kimber

Old 07-17-2011, 08:55 PM
along came Blondie......

BigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sock
At this point I can't see staying past 20. 1.5 years left for me. Things are way too different now than when I came in and I can tell it's time to move on. The extra $$ would be nice, bur moving on to something new and making better money sounds better.

2009 Vivid Black Street Glide Ultra

RIP Diver, Bashful, Smitty, Clank, Johnny B, Fire46, Red Rider and Mongoose, GBNF

"It is foolish to mourn the men that died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived" -General George S. Patton, Jr.
Old 07-17-2011, 09:13 PM
Navy Doof

Streetbob probably grills a mean steakStreetbob probably grills a mean steakStreetbob probably grills a mean steakStreetbob probably grills a mean steakStreetbob probably grills a mean steakStreetbob probably grills a mean steakStreetbob probably grills a mean steakStreetbob probably grills a mean steakStreetbob probably grills a mean steakStreetbob probably grills a mean steakStreetbob probably grills a mean steak
24 years as an E-8 makes for a pretty good check every month.

______
Joe
Old 07-18-2011, 04:59 AM
Under Construction

Last Cigar Smoked: Robert Burns Blackwatch, in the '70s
TalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
The difference between E8 @ 21 and E9 @ 26 was about double.

Sent from somewhere
Somewhat dilapidated, yet functional, Kubota L2500
'20 Branson 3620
'18 Ram 3500 Diesel
'02 Wrangler X, 4" lift on 33 x 12.50s
Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140
Felt Nine 50
Killin' more bees than Monsanto
Old 07-18-2011, 08:40 AM
Original Delinquent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
At this point I can't see staying past 20. 1.5 years left for me. Things are way too different now than when I came in and I can tell it's time to move on. The extra $$ would be nice, bur moving on to something new and making better money sounds better.
If the opportunity to cross the hall and make the same or more is there, don't hesitate...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalonChief View Post
The difference between E8 @ 21 and E9 @ 26 was about double.
The difference between E7 at 20, and CWO4 at 28 was well more than double.

Kimber