Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > Engine & Transmission
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Old 02-12-2011, 10:12 PM
Double-D
Formidable Faux

MrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Axtell All Bore 107 kit, Seriously Looking

at this for the RK.
I like the oversquare design and I already have some big ol' SE heads and recent cam and other updates. Boring the cases doesn't phase me.
Does anyone have experience with this set up or Axtell in general?
Opinions or comments welcome!

Ricky
it's only metal, we can out think it.....

Simplicate, never Complify
http://www.FraZzledEgGs.com

Rhetorical Questions....
Who Needs 'em?

Famous Tripod
Old 02-12-2011, 10:52 PM
Original Delinquent

Backroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milk
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSurly View Post
at this for the RK.
I like the oversquare design and I already have some big ol' SE heads and recent cam and other updates. Boring the cases doesn't phase me.
Does anyone have experience with this set up or Axtell in general?
Opinions or comments welcome!
Axtell has for the most part maintained a fairly good rep.. However, I have seen a few stories in the last year that were not all good. I believe the issues were solved or corrected.

You WILL need some head work because the bore is 4.125 and that's bigger than what your heads accomodate now. These pistons are also Domed so they will need clearanced. They recommend Baisley.. That's another 9 bills. Then you might need a new carb, or bigger TB.

Oh, and you'll probably need a clutch upgrade too.

You have been following Ed's thread right ???

Kimber

Old 02-12-2011, 10:59 PM
Somewhat Bionic

Last Cigar Smoked: Hoyo De Monterrey Robusto
Big Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
You'll shoot your eye out.

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting '..holy sh*t ....what a ride!' - George Carlin

Old 02-12-2011, 11:12 PM
Double-D

why_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milk
I gave up. I'm putting mine back together stock.
"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid" - Gen Eisenhower.
Old 02-12-2011, 11:31 PM
ocifer slacky pants
Double-D

Location: Half way down the trail to hell, in a shady meadow of green
Last Cigar Smoked: Nub Dub
squish has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowsquish has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowsquish has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowsquish has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowsquish has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowsquish has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowsquish has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowsquish has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowsquish has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowsquish has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowsquish has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by Why_Me View Post

CAUTION! You have entered a Harley based forum. Apply a liberal amount of BS repellent to skin before reading anything by anybody.

Old 02-13-2011, 12:37 AM
Double-D
Formidable Faux

MrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backroad Mike View Post
You WILL need some head work because the bore is 4.125 and that's bigger than what your heads accomodate now. They recommend Baisley.. That's another 9 bills.
skimmer

Ricky

Rhetorical Questions....
Who Needs 'em?

Famous Tripod
Old 02-13-2011, 07:18 AM
Original Delinquent

Backroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milk
Quote:
skimmer

Kimber

Old 02-13-2011, 07:54 AM
Breaker of Stuff

Last Cigar Smoked: 601 La Bomba
Bone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
I seriously considered this for Vader when I did the build last year. You have to bore the cases to fit those cylinders, which means that you're already splitting the cases, so you might as well do something with the crank. I opted to get a new one, increase the stroke, and go to 103 (and truth be told, I should have done the bore/stroke 107 combination, if not gone all the way to 117).

There's talk on other forums that the stock crank is good/safe up to around 120 ft-lbs. This kit would be pushing the ragged edge of that.

Make Doof Clenas Fun Again (MDCFA)

Old 02-13-2011, 09:26 AM
Double-D
Formidable Faux

Quote:
Originally Posted by '05Train View Post
I seriously considered this for Vader when I did the build last year. You have to bore the cases to fit those cylinders, which means that you're already splitting the cases, so you might as well do something with the crank. I opted to get a new one, increase the stroke, and go to 103 (and truth be told, I should have done the bore/stroke 107 combination, if not gone all the way to 117).

There's talk on other forums that the stock crank is good/safe up to around 120 ft-lbs. This kit would be pushing the ragged edge of that.
I wonder what the stock crank can handle once it is welded?
I'm going to look at all my options on the crank. I'm not convinced that the stock crank can't be retained; obviously once it's outta there that would be time to upgrade it. Going with the longer stroke AND the big-ass jugs is tempting but I don't like the looks of it on paper. I have a belief that the 117" engine would have a shorter service life than the 107" just because of the VERY short skirt that results with the 117. It looks like it would be fairly unstable. I could be wrong, () but that's just the impression I get looking at pics of the different pistons. Of course, everything I do to it will no doubt result in less service life than just leavin' it the F*** alone! But where's the fun in that?
I am VERY familiar with mission creep(!) EVERY project of mine snowballs! I'm trying to figure the best budget-conscious way to get insane power with a flat torque curve in a build that lasts forever...
Nothin' to this, right?

Ricky

Rhetorical Questions....
Who Needs 'em?

Famous Tripod
Old 02-13-2011, 09:42 AM
Dirty Dirk, Canadian Doof

DAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milk
How much meat do you need to take out of the spigot holes to drop those cylinders in? And does it put you in the same territory as the problematic 110" with the case not having enough material to the cyl stud.

Interesting kit, oversquare like that should make one hell of a revver. Their preimeter dome piston looks cool, like to see some real world feedback on those...

Dirk
Old 02-13-2011, 09:42 AM
Site Sponsor
Doof Member

JDsCycleWorks is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withJDsCycleWorks is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withJDsCycleWorks is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withJDsCycleWorks is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withJDsCycleWorks is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withJDsCycleWorks is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withJDsCycleWorks is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withJDsCycleWorks is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withJDsCycleWorks is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withJDsCycleWorks is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withJDsCycleWorks is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
Axtell is a great company. A lot of the failures that you see are due to poor tuning. Figure out a budget and work backwards from there on what build will make you happy.

Route 412, Bethlehem. 412 = (4, 1+2=3) = 43
Old 02-13-2011, 09:56 AM
Double-D
Formidable Faux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backroad Mike View Post
Axtell has for the most part maintained a fairly good rep.. However, I have seen a few stories in the last year that were not all good. I believe the issues were solved or corrected.

You WILL need some head work because the bore is 4.125 and that's bigger than what your heads accomodate now. These pistons are also Domed so they will need clearanced. They recommend Baisley.. That's another 9 bills. Then you might need a new carb, or bigger TB.

Oh, and you'll probably need a clutch upgrade too.

You have been following Ed's thread right ???

I've been reading all the info I can find including the complaint threads. There are not many of those, actually. The couple of problem builds I read are 117s with the domed pistons. At least one was resolved by switching to the flattops they offer. Another was fixed by swapping heads. What is encouraging is that they have reportedly legendary CS.
I have emailed with inane questions and then even more inane questions and Ron Dickey (hisself!) has replied right away each time.
I am looking at using the flattops. The info from Ron is that with these heads the flattops will yield a cr of 9.3. Might need to do some 'trimming' to raise that a bit.
I already have the SE heads. These things have beer-can-sized valves! I've read of a few builds with these and the 107 and they seem to work well. My concern would be that they might be too big for the build, not that they would need any port work. The consensus seems to be that porting these might add benefit if you're building a 124+.

I've got a spare TB and a Bridgeport. Bigger is easy.

I believe Ed did offer up his credit card in that thread. I'll go look it up.

Ricky

Rhetorical Questions....
Who Needs 'em?

Famous Tripod
Old 02-13-2011, 10:21 AM
Double-D
Formidable Faux

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAK47 View Post
How much meat do you need to take out of the spigot holes to drop those cylinders in? And does it put you in the same territory as the problematic 110" with the case not having enough material to the cyl stud.

Interesting kit, oversquare like that should make one hell of a revver. Their perimeter dome piston looks cool, like to see some real world feedback on those...

Dirk
From Ron:"The spigot on the stock cylinder measures 4.055….our 4.125 cylinder measures 4.300"
On the 110 problem, I simply don't know. I'm not familiar with the issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDsCycleWorks View Post
Axtell is a great company. A lot of the failures that you see are due to poor tuning. Figure out a budget and work backwards from there on what build will make you happy.
Thanks for the input on Axtell. It means a lot to hear it from a guy in the business.
A question for you, is it feasible with the SE110 heads to cut the head gasket surface enough to reduce the chamber 5cc? Would this completely screw the intake mounting?
I'd like to get the cr to 9.8~10 using the Flattops. Don't know if that's do-able.

Ricky

Rhetorical Questions....
Who Needs 'em?

Famous Tripod
Old 02-13-2011, 10:41 AM
Double-D
Formidable Faux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Why_Me View Post
Har Har Har!! You crack me UP!

BTW.. the sig pics. Obviously NOT the same gal. What a cryin' shame.

Ricky

Rhetorical Questions....
Who Needs 'em?

Famous Tripod
Old 02-13-2011, 06:18 PM
Breaker of Stuff

Last Cigar Smoked: 601 La Bomba
Bone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
I wonder what the stock crank can handle once it is welded?
I'm going to look at all my options on the crank. I'm not convinced that the stock crank can't be retained; obviously once it's outta there that would be time to upgrade it. Going with the longer stroke AND the big-ass jugs is tempting but I don't like the looks of it on paper. I have a belief that the 117" engine would have a shorter service life than the 107" just because of the VERY short skirt that results with the 117. It looks like it would be fairly unstable. I could be wrong, () but that's just the impression I get looking at pics of the different pistons. Of course, everything I do to it will no doubt result in less service life than just leavin' it the F*** alone! But where's the fun in that?
I am VERY familiar with mission creep(!) EVERY project of mine snowballs! I'm trying to figure the best budget-conscious way to get insane power with a flat torque curve in a build that lasts forever...
Nothin' to this, right?
The all-bore 107 would be a beast in a light bike like Vader. But I knew I needed to address the crank in order to run gears. I didn't see the benefit in just welding mine when I could get the longer-stroke S&S for nearly the same money. Dave can chime in on this, but my understanding is that a 117 can be built to be very reliable and have 100,000 mile plus longevity.

Like I said to Ed in his thread, I really wish I'd had the rotating assembly balanced when I did mine, and I wish I'd gone at least 107, probably 117. Oh well.

Make Doof Clenas Fun Again (MDCFA)