Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > Suspension
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Suspension Shocks, Forks, Front Ends, Stabilizers, etc...

Old 06-26-2007, 08:47 PM
pairofnines

I some times have to use both hands and put some downward pressure on the collar while turning it. Once it starts to turn there should be no problem.

I agree you need a mark on the collar so you can count the full turns--------I used bright red nail polish>

No! it was not mine it was PJ's so don't ev7en go there.

Edit: I keep a note in the top of the tool box to record the current setting since I am old and sometime forget what I had it on last: ie. 5 1/2 turns is current. I use seven full truns for two up fully loaded.

Borrow one of the candles everyone is burning
Old 06-26-2007, 09:12 PM
Known Associate

TXCHOP has failed to amuse us
Threads galled? Maybe the unversal wrench WD40...?????Hey, you never know.
Old 06-26-2007, 09:39 PM
Yes, they are Real.......

harleyjsb doesn't need a tube sockharleyjsb doesn't need a tube sockharleyjsb doesn't need a tube sockharleyjsb doesn't need a tube sockharleyjsb doesn't need a tube sockharleyjsb doesn't need a tube sockharleyjsb doesn't need a tube sockharleyjsb doesn't need a tube sockharleyjsb doesn't need a tube sockharleyjsb doesn't need a tube sockharleyjsb doesn't need a tube sock
How's it coming along,8.............

Keeper Of The Toast
2006 Post Whore Of The Year

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES; NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING, BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS........
Old 06-26-2007, 09:49 PM
Under Construction

Last Cigar Smoked: Robert Burns Blackwatch, in the '70s
TalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaGlide View Post
Oh, and NEVER trust anybody who has anything to do with helicopters.
They all had to make deals with the devil in order for those things to fly.
Ahem,

Somewhat dilapidated, yet functional, Kubota L2500
'20 Branson 3620
'18 Ram 3500 Diesel
'02 Wrangler X, 4" lift on 33 x 12.50s
Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140
Felt Nine 50
Killin' more bees than Monsanto
Old 06-26-2007, 10:01 PM
8-Ball

Got the bike off the lift....

Got the right one to 8 turns no problem.

The left one turned about 3/4 turn and then stopped. Now I can't turn it either way. Tried a jar opener rubber and no joy. Its like the threads are jammed. I've adjusted it up and down before.

I read the pdf from progressive before starting this thread... it is no help.

I'm stuck at this point. I'm afraid if I force it, I'll just screw up the threads permanently...

Haven't tried WD-40...
Old 06-26-2007, 10:10 PM
Under Construction

Last Cigar Smoked: Robert Burns Blackwatch, in the '70s
TalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know

I'd put some Blaster or other good penetrating oil on it and let it sit for half an hour or so. It could just be a little corrosion now, but if you keep at it, it could gall your threads.
Somewhat dilapidated, yet functional, Kubota L2500
'20 Branson 3620
'18 Ram 3500 Diesel
'02 Wrangler X, 4" lift on 33 x 12.50s
Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140
Felt Nine 50
Killin' more bees than Monsanto
Old 06-26-2007, 10:18 PM
8-Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalonChief View Post

I'd put some Blaster or other good penetrating oil on it and let it sit for half an hour or so. It could just be a little corrosion now, but if you keep at it, it could gall your threads.
Like liquid wrench? or WD-40... I've got both of those... I also have some tri-flow? These shocks look fairly new... no rust or the like... course I can't see up into the threads, but there is no evidence of rust and the other sides exposed threads look good.
Old 06-26-2007, 10:20 PM
gAZINTa - Delinquent

dynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milk
Dammit man, I hope ya get it fixed! Try the WD-40...

Cloudrider 2010
Former Original Doof
Creator of the 43 & 7 hand signs...
Original Cat Herder KC.
Old 06-26-2007, 10:22 PM
The Other Founder
President for Life
Double-D

Last Cigar Smoked: PDR 1878 Reserva Dominicana Capa Oscura
MegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glasses
Tri-Flow gets my vote, based on the condition you say they're in. It'll keep it from recurring for a while.

http://sherlynpopelka.net/

Revelation 19:11
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse;
and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True,
and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

*Usual manly disclaimer applies, if applicable.
Old 06-26-2007, 10:26 PM
8-Ball

Well... I went with Liquid Wrench because I'm impatient.
Old 06-26-2007, 10:28 PM

harleyjsb doesn't need a tube sockharleyjsb doesn't need a tube sockharleyjsb doesn't need a tube sockharleyjsb doesn't need a tube sockharleyjsb doesn't need a tube sockharleyjsb doesn't need a tube sockharleyjsb doesn't need a tube sockharleyjsb doesn't need a tube sockharleyjsb doesn't need a tube sockharleyjsb doesn't need a tube sockharleyjsb doesn't need a tube sock
Spray all three of them on there.you got to git to CO............

Keeper Of The Toast

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES; NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING, BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS........
Old 06-26-2007, 10:31 PM
8-Ball

aint going nowhere right now... crap.
Old 06-26-2007, 10:36 PM
gAZINTa - Delinquent

dynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milk
call progressive suspension 760-948-4012

Cloudrider 2010
Former Original Doof
Creator of the 43 & 7 hand signs...
Original Cat Herder KC.
Old 06-26-2007, 10:40 PM

You still got your stock shocks???????????

Keeper Of The Toast

Old 06-26-2007, 10:42 PM
Excommunicated

LittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suck
Put it back on the lift. Take the shock off. Put the top eye in a vise. Grab the top twisty thing, pull down with your weight and turn. It will either fix it or f*ck it. You got nothing to lose at this point. Can's ride it the way it is. If it turns, just turn it a little out. Turn it over and see if you can get it threaded straight on and turning.

It it refuses to go that direction, turn it over and try it the other way. I have a hard time believing you could cross thread one of those, but I guess if you took it up too far and off the threads then you could have started it cross threaded.