Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > EFI - Electronic Fuel Injection
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Old 07-28-2009, 08:46 AM
Technical Member

HDMD 88 has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowHDMD 88 has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowHDMD 88 has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowHDMD 88 has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowHDMD 88 has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowHDMD 88 has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowHDMD 88 has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowHDMD 88 has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowHDMD 88 has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowHDMD 88 has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowHDMD 88 has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Lambda fuel values....it's here

Yes the new DBW touring bikes for 2010 will be replacing the AFR tables with Lambda based fuel tables. The new calibrations will be a 218 level.
The VE tables will be calibrated in MAP (kPa) not throttle positions any more...this I find very interesting.
You TTS owners....update your software and you can read all about the tuning changes with the Lambda based tables in the Tuning Guide...I'm sure you will find this very interesting.
The auto industry has been using this Lambda system for years and it will be more accurate fueling for the Harley also, but, it is a bit awkward getting your head wrapped around a whole different way of looking at fuel values....no more AFR. Example; Stoitch with AFR values is 14.68, this is something we are used to looking at however stoitch in Lambda is 1.000. Any value higher than 1.000 is leaner than stoitch and any value lower than 1.000 is richer.
With this new system we will be able to get a more controlled Closed Loop area (the bias voltage tables will be gone) To V-Tune your bike the fuel table will be set at .981 not 14.6 any more. The value of .981 equals 14.4 afr.
While in closed loop you can set less loaded cells with a leaner value and the loaded cells with a richer value....its really cool. The Lambda values will range from 1.020=14.97 to .967=14.20 in closed loop (I think) and much richer values in open loop.
So you ask why the change...and that is a good question. With todays fuels (E10 and E85) stoitch changes....ie... the stoitch for gas as we know it is 14.68 however when using corn gas it takes more volume of fuel to produce the same amount of energy that gas does so E85 stoitch rating is 14.28. Here is where Lambda based values come in.....no matter what the fuel is stoitch is 1.000 = 14.68 for gas and 1.000 = 14.28 for corn gas. I believe we will be able to select a blend of fuel....Blend A or Blend B and not have to retune for these different volumes.
There is a lot to this Lambda stuff and knowing it was coming I did some research on it through the net last year so I'm ready....how about you guys? .....get to reading....lol
Doc

Last edited by HDMD 88; 07-28-2009 at 08:16 PM.
Old 07-28-2009, 08:52 AM
Double-D

Last Cigar Smoked: comancho
Sonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
And I was just starting to understand some of the terms and measurements on the sert tuning. Does this mean that I will have to do any changes to my MAP?? I wouldnt think so.

Chris
RIP MONGOOSE

2002 RK Police
95 Big Bore Kit, Weisco Flat Top Pistons, 9.13:1
Engine built by Wilsons of E-town,KY
Vance and Hines Ovals
SE Air Cleaner, K&N Filter
2006 HD Stock Heads
Andrews 26G Cams
Dyno'd by ENGINES BY OTTO

851st ARMY SECURITY AGENCY - Europe - 74-77
Old 07-28-2009, 08:53 AM
Breaker of Stuff

Last Cigar Smoked: 601 La Bomba
Bone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Way cool.

Thanks Doc!

Make Doof Clenas Fun Again (MDCFA)

Old 07-28-2009, 09:00 AM
Excommunicated

Berserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic View Post
And I was just starting to understand some of the terms and measurements on the sert tuning. Does this mean that I will have to do any changes to my MAP?? I wouldnt think so.
Your bike doesn't know what Lambda is.

This will mean new SERTS and TTS, for differant years, or will a new device tune the old bikes, in the new way?

Since this is closer in line with Automotive, is it going to be better? Automotive FI, is pretty mature technology, I would think. What scares me, is it was hard enough to find a tuner that did it the old way, know they are starting over? Learning two systems??

Thanks for the thread Doc.
Old 07-28-2009, 09:02 AM
Technical Member

HDMD 88 has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowHDMD 88 has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowHDMD 88 has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowHDMD 88 has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowHDMD 88 has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowHDMD 88 has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowHDMD 88 has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowHDMD 88 has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowHDMD 88 has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowHDMD 88 has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowHDMD 88 has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic View Post
No you're still good to go....this is only for the touring bikes with DBW for 2010, however, the 09 do have a 218 calibration ready ECM's.
All other 2010 bikes will remain in AFR values.....for now anyway....lol
Doc
Old 07-28-2009, 09:15 AM
Natural born delinquent

RKotter is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withRKotter is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withRKotter is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withRKotter is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withRKotter is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withRKotter is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withRKotter is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withRKotter is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withRKotter is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withRKotter is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withRKotter is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
Thanks for the head's up, Doc.

Scary part is, in my limited capacity, that the Lambda method seems a whole lot more intuitive...

~ Royal Order of Knights d'Catnip ~

E PLURIBUS DOOFUM
Old 07-28-2009, 09:17 AM
Hmmm...

Serg06 doesn't need a tube sockSerg06 doesn't need a tube sockSerg06 doesn't need a tube sockSerg06 doesn't need a tube sockSerg06 doesn't need a tube sockSerg06 doesn't need a tube sockSerg06 doesn't need a tube sockSerg06 doesn't need a tube sockSerg06 doesn't need a tube sockSerg06 doesn't need a tube sockSerg06 doesn't need a tube sock
Thanks for the heads up Doc.

Old 07-28-2009, 09:23 AM
Excommunicated

Berserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girl
So now the tuners will be manufactored for 02-09, and certain 01s, and seperate tuner for 2010-? Hopefully that never becomes an issues. Harely has done well by not changing things, and having parts available for old stuff. Though I think it is good to improve.
Old 07-28-2009, 09:24 AM
Technical Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berserker View Post
Your bike doesn't know what Lambda is.

This will mean new SERTS and TTS, for differant years, or will a new device tune the old bikes, in the new way?

Since this is closer in line with Automotive, is it going to be better? Automotive FI, is pretty mature technology, I would think. What scares me, is it was hard enough to find a tuner that did it the old way, know they are starting over? Learning two systems??

Thanks for the thread Doc.
Yes this will be better and more accurate fueling for your tune. Only the 09 and 2010 DBW bikes have the Lambda calibration level 218 maps...this will not work for any bike other than the 09 and 2010 touring bikes.
You won't need to buy a new TTS...just use the Auto updater on your desk top.
Tuners will have to learn how to tune in kPa instead of throttle position but that should be an easy conversion.
Doc
Old 07-28-2009, 09:25 AM
The Other Founder
President for Life
Double-D

Last Cigar Smoked: PDR 1878 Reserva Dominicana Capa Oscura
MegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glasses
And yes, folks, he's a Doof.
Sounds more gooder to me, but what do I know?
I expect them to go to the Omega Mu tables by 2013.
You heard it here first.

Seriously, thanks for the knowledge, Doc!

http://sherlynpopelka.net/

Revelation 19:11
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse;
and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True,
and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

*Usual manly disclaimer applies, if applicable.
Old 07-28-2009, 09:28 AM
Excommunicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMD 88 View Post
You won't need to buy a new TTS...just use the Auto updater on your desk top.

Doc
Autoupdater?? I know I don't need a new SERT, mine works, I just meant replacement ones inthe future or people who don't have one yet.

Moving in line to the automotive industry, with my limited knowledge, does sound like a good idea. Why be the odd ball. How do the Japs do it?
Old 07-28-2009, 09:29 AM
Technical Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berserker View Post
So now the tuners will be manufactored for 02-09, and certain 01s, and seperate tuner for 2010-? Hopefully that never becomes an issues. Harely has done well by not changing things, and having parts available for old stuff. Though I think it is good to improve.
Harley is releasing their NEW tuner this week also, it will be Lambda based and some thing close to the TTS V-Tune software, however, to tell you the truth I'm not interested in Harley's tuners anymore....the TTS will always be a better unit from the base maps up and lets face it it has been here since 99 as other tuners have come and gone.....the TTS is a proven product and will continue to be the best on the market until fossil fuels are gone.....lol
Doc
Old 07-28-2009, 09:43 AM
The Other Founder
President for Life
Double-D

Last Cigar Smoked: PDR 1878 Reserva Dominicana Capa Oscura
MegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glasses
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMD 88 View Post
Harley is releasing their NEW tuner this week also, it will be Lambda based and some thing close to the TTS V-Tune software, however, to tell you the truth I'm not interested in Harley's tuners anymore....the TTS will always be a better unit from the base maps up and lets face it it has been here since 99 as other tuners have come and gone.....the TTS is a proven product and will continue to be the best on the market until fossil fuels are gone.....lol
Doc
And the fossils who use them.
Hey Doc, any word on what the MoCo did wrong (or right) with the 103 Ultra Limited?
My interest is piqued...

http://sherlynpopelka.net/

Revelation 19:11
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse;
and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True,
and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

*Usual manly disclaimer applies, if applicable.
Old 07-28-2009, 09:47 AM
R.I.P.
you know better...

mongoose has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowmongoose has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowmongoose has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowmongoose has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowmongoose has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowmongoose has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowmongoose has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowmongoose has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowmongoose has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowmongoose has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowmongoose has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
I like my carb.

So long for now RedRider

Nine-mile skid, on a ten-mile ride,
Hot as a pistol but cool inside.
Like I told ya, what I said,
Steal your face right off your head.

1965------2006

Old 07-28-2009, 11:00 AM
grapenutless

Last Cigar Smoked: none of your danged business
y2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
I would assume JD is up on this stuff?
who's to blame in 2014?
OH THIS IS SO NOODLES FAULT
Chitty Chitty