Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > Engine & Transmission
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Old 11-06-2011, 08:02 PM
Trash

Last Cigar Smoked: The one in the ash tray
noodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glasses
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasilva View Post
Why? You got a boat in need of an anchor?
Yep... I have pictures!!

®
Old 11-06-2011, 08:12 PM
Trash

Last Cigar Smoked: The one in the ash tray
noodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glasses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noodles View Post
Yep... I have pictures!!

Ps, it really is not mine....

®
Old 11-07-2011, 10:54 AM
Double-D

FXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by msocko3 View Post
I wish I had not ordered parts for buidling a 120 for my 06 Ultra because I'd have been all over that. Buy it from a dealer selling 20% off and get a decent throttle body and cluch and hang on. If you was to price out all the pieces and parts to build it all from scratch you would be up there, I think its a good bang for the buck. I'll have more in mine than a 120R would have cost when I'm done, and I'm trying to watch my pennies.
Having recently completed a 117, I totally agree. I think the cost might be closer than it appears to do all the things I did - but I think the 120R is a lotta bang for the buck and a great foundation.

Aside from the above, things I would address on the 120 R include:
  • heads touched up a bit and compression bumped for better mid-range punch
  • add roller rockers - HD put regular rockers in it...
  • plug and weld the crank -- put a 120 in and you're gonna run it at least a little. Why risk it?
  • Replace the JIMS lifters with better quality - S&S, Comp Cams, even Wood. Stroker Jim found his lifters were headed south after just 15,000 miles. Sounded like he JUST caught them in time...
  • add an oil cooler
Then, you also need an exhaust - 'zilla, Supertrapp, Wegner. Might want to consider a chain final drive if you twist it a lot.

Those are the things I would do, but then many folks are just bolting them in and running them.
Old 11-08-2011, 02:49 AM
???

msocko3 has failed to amuse us
Quote:
Originally Posted by FXDRYDR View Post
[*]Replace the JIMS lifters with better quality - S&S, Comp Cams, even Wood. Stroker Jim found his lifters were headed south after just 15,000 miles. Sounded like he JUST caught them in time...
I saw the pictures, hope it was an isolated incidnet.

06 Ultra Powered by 120" Head-Quarters

2012 GL1800 Hannigan
Old 11-08-2011, 01:15 PM
Double-D

FXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Yep, or there will be some people with problems. Unfortunately, I've been hearing about a lot of JIMS quality problems over the last few years. Used to be a brand you could trust. Not so anymore.