Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > Ask The Techs...
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Ask The Techs... This is the way it works. Post up your question in the appropriate Forum, then put a link to it here. We'll ask some very savvy folks to monitor the posts here and answer your question. If you are a Tech answering a question, please do it in the linked thread rather than here. In this way, we can build info in the appropriate Forum. Thanks.

Old 01-16-2008, 12:15 PM
Woody218

Evo scenario...Littlebear, feel free to jump in here

Keith Black 18cc domed pistons, .010" overbore, stock heads, .030 Cometic head gasket.

Cold compression calculates out to 10.62:1 (Gasp!), with the cam I want to run, corrected compression is 9.36:1, cold cranking compression works out to 186.

Is this asking for trouble?
Old 01-16-2008, 12:23 PM
Big Double-D

bigjailerman can happily embrace the suckbigjailerman can happily embrace the suckbigjailerman can happily embrace the suckbigjailerman can happily embrace the suckbigjailerman can happily embrace the suckbigjailerman can happily embrace the suckbigjailerman can happily embrace the suckbigjailerman can happily embrace the suckbigjailerman can happily embrace the suckbigjailerman can happily embrace the suckbigjailerman can happily embrace the suck
Old 01-16-2008, 12:27 PM
gAZINTa - Delinquent

dynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milk

Cloudrider 2010
Former Original Doof
Creator of the 43 & 7 hand signs...
Original Cat Herder KC.
Old 01-16-2008, 02:45 PM
not Lady G, but....

route66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
I am pretty sure that it would void the warranty.

"The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws." (Tacitus, Roman historian 55-117 A.D.)

Original 43%er

CAT HERDER GORGE CROSSER SKYLINE

My buddy!
Old 01-16-2008, 02:51 PM
Ghost-Faced Doof

Deejay can happily embrace the suckDeejay can happily embrace the suckDeejay can happily embrace the suckDeejay can happily embrace the suckDeejay can happily embrace the suckDeejay can happily embrace the suckDeejay can happily embrace the suckDeejay can happily embrace the suckDeejay can happily embrace the suckDeejay can happily embrace the suckDeejay can happily embrace the suck
I would stick with flat top pistons and 10:1 compression max.

I am having a hell of a time with tuning a 10.5:1, .010" SE domed piston, SE heads, Evo
on 92 octane in the 90+ degree summer days. Octane booster helps, but is a PITA to
carry on long trips.....

You also have to worry about your starter. After the upgrade, mine quit and I had to go
with a Compufire Gen III 2kW.

Last edited by Deejay; 01-16-2008 at 02:57 PM.
Old 01-18-2008, 06:56 AM
Woody218

Damn, it's quiet in here...
Old 01-18-2008, 07:34 AM
Excommunicated

Berserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girl
No expereince at atll with that build. But comment on higher compression.

But how is the gas in your area? I've gotten premium on the interstate in ND. Places off the interstate in MT got that 86??

My thing with higher comprasion, is, its fine if you don't go far. Myself, I may got back to stock compression on next build. Less to deal with. Run any lousy gas you want. Stock ignition.
Old 01-18-2008, 09:32 AM
El Errante

thrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milk
Woody, whatever you do, just don't lower the idle. Berserker doesn't like that...

Old 01-18-2008, 10:01 AM
Woody218

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrasher View Post
Woody, whatever you do, just don't lower the idle. Berserker doesn't like that...
He wouldn't like mine, then. It has that nice "potato, potato" idle., barely running.
Old 01-18-2008, 11:03 AM
Doof Clenas Member

Type O is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withType O is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withType O is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withType O is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withType O is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withType O is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withType O is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withType O is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withType O is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withType O is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withType O is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
i have the kb pistons and ther a great choce but dont go over 10.1. im running 9.5to 1 and when i get a slite ping and thats where the damage is done .fuel to day is crap even if you run the top grade . its up to you but for me id stay away from it .

Russ

doofs at the beach

Old 01-19-2008, 10:28 AM
Excommunicated

LittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody218 View Post
Keith Black 18cc domed pistons, .010" overbore, stock heads, .030 Cometic head gasket.

Cold compression calculates out to 10.62:1 (Gasp!), with the cam I want to run, corrected compression is 9.36:1, cold cranking compression works out to 186.

Is this asking for trouble?
Only during starting. You must have a high lift long duration cam for that beast to get your Corrected compression down to 9.36:1.
It may be a beast to tune though without a programmable ignition module.
More info on the cam may help with comments.
Just one note for others, The 10.62:1 affects starting but has little to do with pinging. The cold cranking compression has everything to do with ping when the engine is running and domed pistons do not help with pinging either since they change how the fire wave front moves across the combustion chamber.

Last edited by LittleBear; 01-19-2008 at 10:34 AM.
Old 01-19-2008, 12:03 PM
Excommunicated

Berserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girl
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrasher View Post
Glad we got that squared away. I was worried about your engine getting enough oil. Wouldn't want you to risk anything, over a few minutes of idle. Woody on the other hand I don't care. Hell his probably spends most of its time idling, thats why he worries about what it sounds like at idle.
Old 01-19-2008, 01:19 PM
Woody218

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBear View Post
Only during starting. You must have a high lift long duration cam for that beast to get your Corrected compression down to 9.36:1.
It may be a beast to tune though without a programmable ignition module.
More info on the cam may help with comments.
Just one note for others, The 10.62:1 affects starting but has little to do with pinging. The cold cranking compression has everything to do with ping when the engine is running and domed pistons do not help with pinging either since they change how the fire wave front moves across the combustion chamber.
Littlebear, it's an SE-2 cam, loads of duration and overlap, not a low rpm cam by any means. Either I use that cam with those pistons, or else I will have to have some of the dome milled off the piston crown to get the compression down to a more manageable level, and use a cam with less duration.

I agree about the domed pistons changing the way the flame front moves in the combustion process. The only other alternative is to mill .060-.080 off the heads and use flat-top pistons. Thinking about it, this is probably a better alternative to domed pistons.

Berserker, I know that deep down, you care, you really care...
Old 01-19-2008, 01:28 PM
Excommunicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody218 View Post

Berserker, I know that deep down, you care, you really care...
I got to keep up my tough guy image.
Old 01-19-2008, 01:33 PM
Woody218

Paul, I also forgot to add that the bike has a Compu-Fire Elite 1 adjustable ignition module, set up for single-fire.