Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Motorcycle Categories > Old Iron
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Old Iron Shovels, pans, knucks, flatheads and such

Old 12-24-2010, 04:40 PM
grapenutless

Last Cigar Smoked: none of your danged business
y2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
my 72 sporty had a front wheel driven speedo? can you make that work? that was with the drum brake setup
who's to blame in 2014?
OH THIS IS SO NOODLES FAULT
Chitty Chitty

Old 12-24-2010, 04:41 PM
along came Blondie......

BigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sock
Quote:
Originally Posted by TalonChief View Post
Latest update--a speedometer is gonna be a costly option. No wheel-driven unit exits that I can modify to fit on a chain swingarm--could do it if I swapped in a wider belt swingarm. The only other option seems to be going digital. I really wanted to keep the Lowrider dash.
Shame there's no GPS driven speedos like you can get for the Jeeps. they're pricey, but you don't have to calibrate them....

2009 Vivid Black Street Glide Ultra

RIP Diver, Bashful, Smitty, Clank, Johnny B, Fire46, Red Rider and Mongoose, GBNF

"It is foolish to mourn the men that died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived" -General George S. Patton, Jr.
Old 12-24-2010, 04:43 PM
grapenutless

y2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
I have this thing called a veypor, you put a magnet on the rear wheel and it sends a signal to the unit.....veypor.com, I have no use for it anymore it was expensive but I will sell it cheap....
who's to blame in 2014?
Chitty Chitty

Old 12-24-2010, 05:15 PM
Under Construction

Last Cigar Smoked: Robert Burns Blackwatch, in the '70s
TalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kflhr View Post
my 72 sporty had a front wheel driven speedo? can you make that work? that was with the drum brake setup
Nope. Left spacer is only .518 and the right is pretty much just a washer. I've looked at all the available drives and I can't make any of them work on the front or rear.
Somewhat dilapidated, yet functional, Kubota L2500
'20 Branson 3620
'18 Ram 3500 Diesel
'02 Wrangler X, 4" lift on 33 x 12.50s
Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140
Felt Nine 50
Killin' more bees than Monsanto
Old 12-24-2010, 05:16 PM
Under Construction

TalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
Shame there's no GPS driven speedos like you can get for the Jeeps. they're pricey, but you don't have to calibrate them....
There are plenty of digital options, but they ain't cheap either.
'20 Branson 3620
'18 Ram 3500 Diesel
Felt Nine 50
Old 12-24-2010, 05:30 PM
snow pirate

Last Cigar Smoked: No thanks.
stoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by TalonChief View Post
Nope. Left spacer is only .518 and the right is pretty much just a washer. I've looked at all the available drives and I can't make any of them work on the front or rear.
When I got my '61, it had a 77 FX front end on it with a front wheel speedo drive. The drive measured .5", if I remember correctly. The drive finally broke, but I think I still have it..... I'll see if I can find it, and take a pic for you so you can see what it looks like.

ALL WHO WANDER ARE NOT LOST.

GFFG
Old 12-24-2010, 05:48 PM
Under Construction

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoney61 View Post
When I got my '61, it had a 77 FX front end on it with a front wheel speedo drive. The drive measured .5", if I remember correctly. The drive finally broke, but I think I still have it..... I'll see if I can find it, and take a pic for you so you can see what it looks like.
That would be the same as my stock one that went on the right side. If I put it on the left, it'll spin the seedo backwards.
'20 Branson 3620
'18 Ram 3500 Diesel
Felt Nine 50
Old 12-24-2010, 05:49 PM
Under Construction

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
RB Racing has one. I think you have to FEDEX your left ball to him in order to buy one, though.
'20 Branson 3620
'18 Ram 3500 Diesel
Felt Nine 50
Old 12-24-2010, 05:53 PM
Under Construction

Quote:
I have this thing called a veypor, you put a magnet on the rear wheel and it sends a signal to the unit.....veypor.com, I have no use for it anymore it was expensive but I will sell it cheap....
Thanks for the offer, Dave, but I want to keep to something that looks semi-stock, i.e. round. Dakota Digital, Acewell and Autometer all have digital options.
'20 Branson 3620
'18 Ram 3500 Diesel
Felt Nine 50
Old 12-26-2010, 10:36 PM
Under Construction

There ain't much out there in 3 1/8" speedos, but after much searching, I finally found a solution. It ain't cheap, but in terms of not having to cobble something together and make multiple modifications, it ain't too bad.

VDO 437-050 speedo and a Thunderheart ES4101 rear wheel sensor. A bit > $190, but it will all fit and pretty much matches the stock look--well, except for the LCD readout on the speedo. Sadly, there is no 3 1/8" 2-cylinder tach to match--just a 2 1/16".

'20 Branson 3620
'18 Ram 3500 Diesel
Felt Nine 50
Old 12-31-2010, 05:38 PM
Under Construction

Pulled the top end this afternoon to fix the leaky base gasket. The gasket was a hard, black material that didn't seem like it had any give to it at all. It was cooked brittle around the drain in the jug and that's where the front was leaking--the back was not far behind.

The heads looked good, but I found a fairly deep gouge in the top 1-1.5" of the front jug. I don't have a depth gauge, but it'll hang a finger nail real well.

The parts in this top end are relatively new--the heads are repops, and the pistons and rings were new, but it looks like some shortcuts were taken. The cross hatching looks a little flat and, obviously, something hard was in there to gouge it.

At least the bottom end is tight.
'20 Branson 3620
'18 Ram 3500 Diesel
Felt Nine 50
Old 12-31-2010, 05:43 PM
grapenutless

Tim, permatex gasket remover seems to work real well on well removing gaskets.....and some powdercoat! I wish I had used it on the jugs before I started scraping away!!!

that cylinder looks bad
who's to blame in 2014?
Chitty Chitty

Old 12-31-2010, 05:51 PM
Under Construction

Quote:
Tim, permatex gasket remover seems to work real well on well removing gaskets.....and some powdercoat! I wish I had used it on the jugs before I started scraping away!!!

that cylinder looks bad
Yeah, it's gonna' need to be hogged out to get rid of that gouge. It was not smoking or anything, but I don't want to slap it back together knowing that's there just waiting to start blowing oil.

Here's the head and piston dome.

'20 Branson 3620
'18 Ram 3500 Diesel
Felt Nine 50

Last edited by TalonChief; 12-31-2010 at 05:56 PM.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:13 PM
Under Construction

OK, so where am I at here.....

Jugs went off to be bored and fitted to new pistons Saturday. Tins should be done this week. Turn signals and a bunch of other little parts should he here this week. Have to measure for custom clutch and throttle cables too. Oh, still have to pull the rocker boxes open and check to see if the PO used wavy thrust washers. Those will have to go if they're in there.

Then I can start on the other bike. Anyone know of a source for a Cometic top end set w/ .030 head gaskets, part # C9147-030, other than direct from Cometic? Drag does not list that particular set and none of the aftermarket discounters seems to carry anything other than the regular C9147 w/ .040 gaskets for ~$80--Cometic wants $107.
'20 Branson 3620
'18 Ram 3500 Diesel
Felt Nine 50
Old 01-12-2011, 09:43 PM
Under Construction

Pic of the front jug after a little cleaning. Hopefully .030 over can get it right.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0001-61.jpg (121.0 KB, 48 views)
'20 Branson 3620
'18 Ram 3500 Diesel
Felt Nine 50