Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Specific Interest > The Arsenal
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

The Arsenal Where firearms enthusiasts gather to discuss their passion for things that go bang. Political debate is one floor down and not welcome here.

Old 09-10-2007, 04:20 PM
Are these on right?

Lady Godiva can happily embrace the suckLady Godiva can happily embrace the suckLady Godiva can happily embrace the suckLady Godiva can happily embrace the suckLady Godiva can happily embrace the suckLady Godiva can happily embrace the suckLady Godiva can happily embrace the suckLady Godiva can happily embrace the suckLady Godiva can happily embrace the suckLady Godiva can happily embrace the suckLady Godiva can happily embrace the suck
Recommended Reading?

Hey all -

I love to read, and I was hoping to get some recommendations on some good books on guns and related subjects.

I know Massad Ayoob is one name I've heard mentioned, and we watched a film from him in my CWP class.

I'd like books for anything from basic info on different firearms to maintenance/repair, ballistics, personal protection strategies, etc.

I'm also particularly interested in material that would give info on different scenarios you might face where you might have to draw or use your concealed weapon. I learned in my CWP class that not all situations are cut and dried and I'd like to see what recommendations are made for different scenarios.

Example: What should you do if you're legally armed and come upon a situation where there's an armed man standing and holding another man on the ground at gunpoint? One initial reaction would be to say that the armed man standing is the bad guy, but then they tell you he's actually a cop and the guy on the ground is the bad guy.

Any recommendations would be appreciated!

"I refuse to have a battle of wits with someone who's unarmed..."

GBNF FIRE46, RED RIDER, MONGOOSE

Old 09-10-2007, 05:07 PM
The Other Founder
President for Life
Double-D

Last Cigar Smoked: PDR 1878 Reserva Dominicana Capa Oscura
MegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glasses
Boop read In the Gravest Extreme by Massad Ayoob before I got her a gun (I had a copy I loaned her). It's good for civilian carry.

I'm gonna catch flack for this one, but whatever Evan Marshal's most recent book on stopping power is, I recommend that as well for ammunition selection.

http://sherlynpopelka.net/

Revelation 19:11
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse;
and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True,
and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

*Usual manly disclaimer applies, if applicable.
Old 09-10-2007, 05:11 PM
Are these on right?

Lady Godiva can happily embrace the suckLady Godiva can happily embrace the suckLady Godiva can happily embrace the suckLady Godiva can happily embrace the suckLady Godiva can happily embrace the suckLady Godiva can happily embrace the suckLady Godiva can happily embrace the suckLady Godiva can happily embrace the suckLady Godiva can happily embrace the suckLady Godiva can happily embrace the suckLady Godiva can happily embrace the suck
Here's one I think would be good:

http://www.amazon.com/Thank-God-Had-...9458801&sr=8-4

"I refuse to have a battle of wits with someone who's unarmed..."

GBNF FIRE46, RED RIDER, MONGOOSE

Old 09-10-2007, 06:13 PM
Excommunicated

LittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suck
"The Concealed Handgun Manual" by Chris Bird.
A good summary on concealed carry
For Methods of carry
"Hidden in Plain Sight" by Trey Bloodworth & Mike Raley
Old 09-10-2007, 06:27 PM
8-Ball

I've got these three titles coming...

"How to Own a Gun & Stay Out of Jail: What You Need to Know About the Law If You Own a Gun or Are Thinking of Buying One : California Edition 2007"
John F. Machtinger; Paperback; CDN$ 10.54

"Armed Response: A Comprehensive Guide to Using Firearms for Self-Defense"
David S. Kenik; Paperback; $13.57

"The Concealed Handgun Manual: How to Choose, Carry, and Shoot a Gun in Self Defense"
Chris Bird; Paperback; $14.93
(As recommended by LittleBear)
Old 09-11-2007, 07:40 AM
Double-D

FXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Plenty of expertise out there. I like first-person, real-life commentary - "The Armed Citizen" and the like. Also, articulate, well-rounded professionals like Stephen Camp - http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/index.html - can lend good insights.

Jeff Cooper wrote and thought clearly. Though dated, Elmer Keith had a ton of basic firearms and shooting experience, as well as a thing or two to say that he learned from old gunfighters.

For me, some of these people like Ayoob would have readers think that one must pack three pieces at all times, shoot 1200 rounds a week and constantly maintain a hair-trigger alert while viewing anyone near as a potential threat. Not a healthy outlook for me. YMMV.
Old 09-11-2007, 08:00 AM
Excommunicated

LittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suck
A few things are necessary if you are going to carry. I do not carry a BUG (Back Up Gun) because I feel one is enough.
Practice your weapon presentation so it becomes a motor memory skill not requiring thought, just action.
Know you weapon well, especially if it is a Semi Auto.
Stay in condition Yellow. For a motorcycle rider this is easy, we are in condition yellow all the time while riding, or you better be if you what to survive.

You can carry the whole thing too far, but IMHO the basics for carry are
1. A weapon you know and can shoot well carried in a holster that is comfortable.
2. Spare ammo
3. A good Flashlight
4. A cell phone

A BUG and a lock blade knife are optional.

Last edited by LittleBear; 09-11-2007 at 08:08 AM.